West Coast v Sydney
Game Focus

2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby sydney eagle on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:55 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
The Boat wrote:West Coast mgmt clearly dont think we will slide next year after trading out next year's round 1 draft pick.

Brave decision that one.

Some would say lunacy.

There has always been a fine line between genius and lunacy.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:49 am

We should have gone all out like port for a flag assault with kennedy nic and shuey in their prime.....or go a full revuild.

What we are soing is somewhat in between i reckon.

I dont think what port are doing will work....could end up like brisbane of 2010.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:33 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:We should have gone all out like port for a flag assault with kennedy nic and shuey in their prime.....or go a full revuild.

I dont think what port are doing will work....could end up like brisbane of 2010.

What is it you want Domo?

You think ports plan won't work, but we should emulate it.

I don't think we are in the middle, we are in a rebuild. Its not a firesale rebuild like Melbourne goes through every 3 years, but it is a rebuild. We have cut away the depth players that aren't going to make us a better team (wellingham, Hill for example) we have shed 3 mature players to make way for fresh faces too (Mitchell Priddis and Butler). We have loaded up on second round picks so that we can replace our players with players who should be talented.

we are just as likely to win a flag with kennedy nat etc in their twilight years with these fresh faces than if we loaded up and tried to buy a flag over the next couple of years, but long term, the kids playing with these guys should develop them enough that they end up being pretty good once our current stars retire.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:24 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:We should have gone all out like port for a flag assault with kennedy nic and shuey in their prime.....or go a full revuild.

What is it you want Domo?

You think ports plan won't work, but we should emulate it.

I don't think we are in the middle, we are in a rebuild. Its not a firesale rebuild like Melbourne goes through every 3 years, but it is a rebuild. We have cut away the depth players that aren't going to make us a better team (wellingham, Hill for example) we have shed 3 mature players to make way for fresh faces too (Mitchell Priddis and Butler). We have loaded up on second round picks so that we can replace our players with players who should be talented.

we are just as likely to win a flag with kennedy nat etc in their twilight years with these fresh faces than if we loaded up and tried to buy a flag over the next couple of years, but long term, the kids playing with these guys should develop them enough that they end up being pretty good once our current stars retire.

Domo has a split personality. We are not in a full rebuild like Carlton and Brisbane. The club has a two to three year plan to replenish the list. We may take a step backwards next year, but we should be ready for 2019 while our once in a generation players are still contributing (NN and JK).
Make the switch now
2017 Sponsor of Willie (Pure Silk) Rioli
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:16 pm

I dont know what i want....a bit like the clients i work for.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Tom Lamb training with the Saints. He is the only delisting I was actually unhappy about.

'Former Fremantle defender Sam Collins, axed West Coast forward Tom Lamb and ex-North Melbourne midfielder Will Fordham will join the Saints at Seaford, starting next Monday.'
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
Veteran

Postby Feng Shuey on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:25 pm

The Boat wrote:West Coast mgmt clearly dont think we will slide next year after trading out next year's round 1 draft pick.

Brave decision that one.

I think they acknowledged it was risky, but felt it had to be done. They feel the need to "refresh" list now, and cant afford to keep fringe players around for another year and only get 5 games into the kids.
Vozzo - "“Now is an important time. You can’t always wait for perfect timing."

You can't keep drafting 3 players at picks around 13,35,55. Or Trading in top-up talent. Had to have a clear out, and get some youth in. No one is gonna give you three extra 2nd round picks next year, no point hoping for a 2018 draft boon. If we did plummet we could potentially get some Vic players wanting out and so the idea of Gold Coast taking "Bobby" Hill at our pick or Rozee, Walsh or Rankine, might not be the worst thing ever. (though it probably will :? )
Feng Shuey
Rookie

Postby Fat Side on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 am

Feng Shuey wrote:

Brave decision that one.

I think they acknowledged it was risky, but felt it had to be done. They feel the need to "refresh" list now, and cant afford to keep fringe players around for another year and only get 5 games into the kids.
Vozzo - "“Now is an important time. You can’t always wait for perfect timing."

You can't keep drafting 3 players at picks around 13,35,55. Or Trading in top-up talent. Had to have a clear out, and get some youth in. No one is gonna give you three extra 2nd round picks next year, no point hoping for a 2018 draft boon. If we did plummet we could potentially get some Vic players wanting out and so the idea of Gold Coast taking "Bobby" Hill at our pick or Rozee, Walsh or Rankine, might not be the worst thing ever. (though it probably will :? )

We moved on senior players and are drafting junior players because we have Gaff, Yeo and McGovern coming out of contract next year. Gaff and McG are free agents. We need the quids to retain them. The principle priority right now is to get their signatures and lock them in for a few more years. The club may believe it will lose one of them and that's why they felt that trading away next years first round pick is not so critical because either of the mentioned players would land us a first round pick anyway. Who knows, but it is hard to disagree with a plan to retain those three players.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby penrith eagle on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:49 am

Fat Side wrote: The club may believe it will lose one of them and that's why they felt that trading away next years first round pick is not so critical because either of the mentioned players would land us a first round pick anyway. Who knows, but it is hard to disagree with a plan to retain those three players.

I believe the club reckons Gaff is gone and hence there reason in trading away our first rounder next year.
The will to win...we have lost it.......maybe its coming back ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Just an update.

Lamb, whose grandfather Ian Cooper was best afield in St Kilda's 1966 Grand Final triumph, won his potential second club's 1km time trial last week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-20/c ... ed-players
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:Just an update.

Lamb, whose grandfather Ian Cooper was best afield in St Kilda's 1966 Grand Final triumph, won his potential second club's 1km time trial last week.

He was right up there with Masten last year. Karpany was right up there with Masten yesterday.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
Veteran

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:Just an update.

He was right up there with Masten last year. Karpany was right up there with Masten yesterday.

I agree with you, with the addition that when Lamb was drafted he was reputed to have very high skill levels. (Probably Karpany as well) One has to wonder about the failed development of such a fit, skilled, big bodied player. Especially when that's exactly the type of player we have been crying out for in the midfield. A real shame and hopefully the club can improve it's development game.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:I agree with you, with the addition that when Lamb was drafted he was reputed to have very high skill levels. (Probably Karpany as well) One has to wonder about the failed development of such a fit, skilled, big bodied player. Especially when that's exactly the type of player we have been crying out for in the midfield. A real shame and hopefully the club can improve it's development game.

I often wonder whether it's a lot to do with player maturity - they come into the AFL system at 18 and some probably expect they've already faced the hard stuff (it's like kids at Uni thinking getting through the TEE was hard, then facing their first set of Uni exams). So they're just not ready, and then it becomes a habit they struggle to shake.

I still think that we (the AFL in general) shouldn't be recruiting 18 year olds other than the absolute elite - a rule perhaps that a player can't be drafted outside of the first round unless they've played at least 10-20 games in the seniors of WAFL/VFL/SANFL etc or they're 22+. Get a bit of maturity and experience against big bodied men, not other kids.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:I agree with you, with the addition that when Lamb was drafted he was reputed to have very high skill levels. (Probably Karpany as well) One has to wonder about the failed development of such a fit, skilled, big bodied player. Especially when that's exactly the type of player we have been crying out for in the midfield. A real shame and hopefully the club can improve it's development game.

I often wonder whether it's a lot to do with player maturity - they come into the AFL system at 18 and some probably expect they've already faced the hard stuff (it's like kids at Uni thinking getting through the TEE was hard, then facing their first set of Uni exams). So they're just not ready, and then it becomes a habit they struggle to shake.

I still think that we (the AFL in general) shouldn't be recruiting 18 year olds other than the absolute elite - a rule perhaps that a player can't be drafted outside of the first round unless they've played at least 10-20 games in the seniors of WAFL/VFL/SANFL etc or they're 22+. Get a bit of maturity and experience against big bodied men, not other kids.

Have to agree with something along those lines. At least increase the age by a year and have all the kids then play a year against men in the state leagues; rather than go from school footy (TAC) or colts directly into the AFL system.
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading