West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 - Free Agents, Rookies & Roughies

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2019 - Free Agents, Rookies & Roughies

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Jackson Ramsay has taken out the FD Book Medal at East Perth.

With Willie likely to be out, we should look at Kade Stewart, as he can run through the middle and go forward. He's a had a good 1st year back at Souths after previously going home to the country for a year. He's more involved player than Josh Smith, with youth on his side.

Liam McBean was being talked up on trade radio a couple of days ago.

Since we have completely gutted our draft for two years, we need to get creative at looking for hidden gems.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:25 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:With Rioli out would it be worth having a chat to and rookie Jarrod Pickett as some depth for our small forwards?

No. He's had two cracks at it and hasn't been able to take his chances. We have Cameron, Cripps, Ryan and Petruccelle. That should suffice until Rioli returns.

We are supposedly interested in Jarrod Pickett and picking him up in the SSP. We have spoken with him, and apparently have plans for him to join training with the club in December.

Costs us nothing and only takes the spot on the list as a Cat A rookie.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:With Rioli out would it be worth having a chat to and rookie Jarrod Pickett as some depth for our small forwards?

No. He's had two cracks at it and hasn't been able to take his chances. We have Cameron, Cripps, Ryan and Petruccelle. That should suffice until Rioli returns.

We are supposedly interested in Jarrod Pickett and picking him up in the SSP. We have spoken with him, and apparently have plans for him to join training with the club in December.

Costs us nothing and only takes the spot on the list as a Cat A rookie.

Given we'll be taking plenty of late & rough picks, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea. We need to be looking outside the box, and sometimes going for a recyled player can work. He's 23, could be another year in the system is all he needs. Hell, we just paid an arm & a leg for a guy who didn't even get drafted till he was older than Pickett...
But you'd also hope there's some X-factor there. Homesickness or something that will make him flourish for us.
Otherwise I'd have to wonder what we can do with him that two other clubs couldn't.

It's not like he's some instant Willie replacement. At best, you'd hope he does enough in a year to show he's worth persisting with.

But I'm not sold on this supplementary period thing.
We could have taken him as a delisted free agent,
We could have taken him with our last pick in the ND,
Or the PSD,
Or the Rookie Draft if we want to Rookie List him.

For mine, it only works if we're looking at a few players, give them the opportunity to train, then pick one. If we've already committed to a player, like we did with Brooksby, then its just a waste of time.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:05 pm

So today is the final list lodgement, but clubs such as ours can still hold rookie spots open for the supplemental period.
Since I have not heard of us picking up a delisted free-agent, I assume that's what we're doing.

So far I have heard we're looking at:

Jarrod Pickett. (23) Small Forward/ Mid, former #4 draft picks, and previously listed with GWS and Carltank.

Nick Robertson. (24) Tough Mid/Tagger, originally from West Perth, who played 73 games with Brissy.

Isaya McKenzie. (22) Unknown player from SA.

Of those players, I prefer Robertson, but I would also hope we're looking at Sokol from the WAFL.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Jarrod Pickett. (23) Small Forward/ Mid, former #4 draft picks, and previously listed with GWS and Carltank.

I thought there had been articles about Pickett training with us. It might be a long shot but also a good move to test him out, probably one of those players who never should have been moved from WA so young; but has the damage been done?
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Jarrod Pickett. (23) Small Forward/ Mid, former #4 draft picks, and previously listed with GWS and Carltank.

I thought there had been articles about Pickett training with us. It might be a long shot but also a good move to test him out, probably one of those players who never should have been moved from WA so young; but has the damage been done?

I've read about each of those from various sources, and yes, they are able to train with the club, right through to the end of the period if necessary, which I think is February or March.

So I'm hoping that we're trialling a few guys.
Otherwise what's the point? If we're already set on Pickett, we could have just taken him in the Rookie Draft.

I hope we are being especially cautious with Pickett.
He's be given a shot by two clubs, and failed to shine. Maybe he'll be better back home in WA, but I'd want to give him an extended trial to see if he's got what it takes.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:08 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:

I've read about each of those from various sources, and yes, they are able to train with the club, right through to the end of the period if necessary, which I think is February or March.

Otherwise what's the point? If we're already set on Pickett, we could have just taken him in the Rookie Draft.

He's be given a shot by two clubs, and failed to shine. Maybe he'll be better back home in WA, but I'd want to give him an extended trial to see if he's got what it takes.

Who knows, but if Pickett nominates for the RD he puts himself into a situation where he may be picked up by a team from the east. It may be that, if he wants to continue his footy career, he wants to do it in the west. This way he has the chance to achieve that.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I've read about each of those from various sources, and yes, they are able to train with the club, right through to the end of the period if necessary, which I think is February or March.

He couldn't get a game at GWS, and Carlton is, well, Carlton. Plus just as he was starting to get going he got injured.

We supposedly have 3 or 4 players joining the squad for training.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Why would you pick someone now when you get watch them train with the team for 2 months. You''ll get an idea what the different guys can do and make a call then. It's a free option.

For me, I'd go for Pickett. Surely a former #4 pick must have Crazy Daz salivating
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:55 am

If you train with the club do you get paid. Might not seem relevant but they still need to survive and they're expected to be training full time.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 pm

Well, the good news is they've had a few guys training. Not just the ones mentioned, but also Brady Grey and Nic Reid who were impressive in the WAFL.
Bad news is that McKenzie, the guy from the SNAFL, has done his ACL.

I just hope that with us already one short due to Willie, that they have the sense to put Venables on the inactive list, and pick up another player in either the supplementary period or mid-season draft.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:12 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Well, the good news is they've had a few guys training. Not just the ones mentioned, but also Brady Grey and Nic Reid who were impressive in the WAFL.

I just hope that with us already one short due to Willie, that they have the sense to put Venables on the inactive list, and pick up another player in either the supplementary period or mid-season draft.

We are one short on the list so that's what those guys are focusing on when training over the summer. I'm not sure Rioli can be replaced on the list given his circumstances.

Are we looking at Nick Robertson (former Brisbane player)? He could be a good back up (and succession plan) for Hutchings. He's big (190cm), has played and is a very effective run with player.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:14 am

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Well, the good news is they've had a few guys training. Not just the ones mentioned, but also Brady Grey and Nic Reid who were impressive in the WAFL.

We are one short on the list so that's what those guys are focusing on when training over the summer. I'm not sure Rioli can be replaced on the list given his circumstances.

Are we looking at Nick Robertson (former Brisbane player)? He could be a good back up (and succession plan) for Hutchings. He's big (190cm), has played and is a very effective run with player.

As you say, our list isn't complete, which is the primary focus here. I doubt we will be allowed to replace Willie, thus leaving us "one short" and then with Venables "two short" so I hope we put him on the inactive list. Which would allow us to draft another rookie for the remainder of the season.
Robertson was certainly talked about earlier, and I agree is well worth looking at. But the article I just read in the Worst mentioned only "four forwards", Picket, McKenzie, Grey, and Reid. Their assumption seemed to be that we wre looking for a mature Willie replacement. But if so, only Pickett and Reid fit that description.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

As you say, our list isn't complete, which is the primary focus here. I doubt we will be allowed to replace Willie, thus leaving us "one short" and then with Venables "two short" so I hope we put him on the inactive list. Which would allow us to draft another rookie for the remainder of the season.
Robertson was certainly talked about earlier, and I agree is well worth looking at. But the article I just read in the Worst mentioned only "four forwards", Picket, McKenzie, Grey, and Reid. Their assumption seemed to be that we wre looking for a mature Willie replacement. But if so, only Pickett and Reid fit that description.

Maybe we grab one and, if Venables goes inactive, we can top up mid season.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading