West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Tim Kelly - The Whole Two Year Trade Story

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Tim Kelly - The Whole Two Year Trade Story

Postby Mr Q on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:If he wins b2b Brownlows best we can say is that we paid fair value....

To put in perspective just how irrelevant the Brownlow is in judging *anything*, the closest an Eagle has gone to B2B Brownlows was Matt Priddis (1st, then 2nd)*

Now I loved Priddis, and don't for a minute think his medal was undeserved - but he wasn't the best midfielder we've ever had.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:If he wins b2b Brownlows best we can say is that we paid fair value....

To put in perspective just how irrelevant the Brownlow is in judging *anything*,

It was a throwaway line.

PS: Please don't remind me how Priddis was robbed of his 2nd Brownlow.

PSS: Priddis leads our club in Handballs, Disposals, Tackles, Clearances, and Contested Possessions. IMHO he is close to being the best inside mid.
Kemp probably better, but different era and I don't have detailed stats for him.
Which I concede proves your point. In '94 Kemp lead us to a Flag and won a Normie, but barely cracked a vote.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby lazzas on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

To put in perspective just how irrelevant the Brownlow is in judging *anything*,

It was a throwaway line.

PS: Please don't remind me how Priddis was robbed of his 2nd Brownlow.

PSS: Priddis leads our club in Handballs, Disposals, Tackles, Clearances, and Contested Possessions. IMHO he is close to being the best inside mid.
Kemp probably better, but different era and I don't have detailed stats for him.
Which I concede proves your point. In '94 Kemp lead us to a Flag and won a Normie, but barely cracked a vote.

I always thought Daniel Kerr was also very unlucky not to win a Brownlow placed in the top three of the Brownlow Medal in three consecutive seasons from 2005 to 2007, notably finishing runner-up to teammate Ben Cousins in 2005 by a single vote.
lazzas
Regular

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 pm

There have been those that have questioned how we fitted this trade with the requirement to use the minimum required number of R1 draft picks over a 4 year period.

Apparently we haven't. And it could hurt us.

According to The Roar...

In August 2015, AFL Counsel Andrew Dillon announced regulations that require clubs to select a minimum of two first-round draft picks in every four-year period.

With the Eagles having selected only one first-round draft pick in the last three national drafts (Jarrod Brander at 13 in 2017), unless they can secure a trade for another club’s first-round draft pick in 2020 – or the less likely option, another club bids on one of their next generation academy prospects (there are eight of them) or a father/son eligible player inside the first round and the Eagles match that bid – then they stand to feel the wrath of the AFL.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/02/02/s ... to-ransom/

It does raise the question of why we didn't use this problem in the negotiations. 'Our 2020 first round pick is off the table because we have to use it'.

So what is our punishment likey to be? No first round pick for another year ot two? Are we going to have to do a silly deal to get a 1st round 2020 pick - we'll give you our 2021 first and a big name player for your 2020 1st?
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:11 am

MrWoollie wrote:There have been those that have questioned how we fitted this trade with the requirement to use the minimum required number of R1 draft picks over a 4 year period.

Apparently we haven't. And it could hurt us.

According to The Roar...

In August 2015, AFL Counsel Andrew Dillon announced regulations that require clubs to select a minimum of two first-round draft picks in every four-year period.

With the Eagles having selected only one first-round draft pick in the last three national drafts (Jarrod Brander at 13 in 2017), unless they can secure a trade for another club’s first-round draft pick in 2020 – or the less likely option, another club bids on one of their next generation academy prospects (there are eight of them) or a father/son eligible player inside the first round and the Eagles match that bid – then they stand to feel the wrath of the AFL.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/02/02/s ... to-ransom/

It does raise the question of why we didn't use this problem in the negotiations. 'Our 2020 first round pick is off the table because we have to use it'.

So what is our punishment likey to be? No first round pick for another year ot two? Are we going to have to do a silly deal to get a 1st round 2020 pick - we'll give you our 2021 first and a big name player for your 2020 1st?

Interesting. I am sure they have a plan
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:48 pm

I was one of those questioning it at the time, because I thought it was prohibited. ie that we simply could not trade that pick.
Obviously I was wrong.

It would seem that what this means is that in this years trade period, we'll have to trade, probably our 2021 1st round pick, to get a 2020 1st round pick.
Probably what we do is offer the Premiers (or whoever has their pick 18) our 2021 first rounder as a strait swap. Given how compromised this year's draft will be, and that pick #18 will finish up around #30, it shouldn't be too hard.
Are we allowed to trade for our own pick back? If we win the flag, the Cats might like to offload it.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading