West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2020 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2020 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Roadkill wrote:According to 7 the cats want Higgins and Crouch. To free up salary cap space have Jordan Clark and Quinton Narkle on the market. The later unlikely to get a new contract.
Smart when you think it through, get good picks for narkle or clark with good hand already thanks to us and nothing on cost side with the above free agents.

I like Clark and he could fill a role when Jetta/Hurn depart. He would probably cost us an early second-rounder. Narkle I wouldn't bother with. No more than depth so we may as well go to the draft.

My gut feel is that we should go exclusively to the draft this year (unless an exceptional offer falls across our bow)
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:27 am

Are we too soft when it comes to cutting our list? We seem to hang on to players who are "good blokes" even though they don't figure in our long term plans. McInnes is a prime example, nice bloke but not AFL quality. Other clubs seem to have a policy of playing young players where we seem to let them develop in the "magoos" or try them in positions they weren't recruited or known for eg. Brander. We use our rookie spots for the "hard luck" cases like Reid, Tarir Bayok, Adam Cockie, Michael Embley etc rather than going for the standout WAFL or Colts player that missed the draft and giving them a try eg Stack, Kelly and Pickett. It's like we're trying to find Gold in the middle of a pyrites mine. Or is it that our recruiting staff just go the safe option?
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:31 am

Streaker wrote:Are we too soft when it comes to cutting our list? We seem to hang on to players who are "good blokes" even though they don't figure in our long term plans. McInnes is a prime example, nice bloke but not AFL quality. Other clubs seem to have a policy of playing young players where we seem to let them develop in the "magoos" or try them in positions they weren't recruited or known for eg. Brander. We use our rookie spots for the "hard luck" cases like Reid, Tarir Bayok, Adam Cockie, Michael Embley etc rather than going for the standout WAFL or Colts player that missed the draft and giving them a try eg Stack, Kelly and Pickett. It's like we're trying to find Gold in the middle of a pyrites mine. Or is it that our recruiting staff just go the safe option?

We are ridiculously soft when it comes to culling our list, and its a concept I don' understand.
I value compassion and loyalty, probably more so than the average bloke, but what about the guy that misses out on his AFL dream. Where's the compassion for him.
And with so many of the players in question, it is blindingly obvious. And I know people always say "oh but he's better than using pick 80, etc." But that's BS. You can find gold in the Rookie Draft, and you'll never know if you don't give guys a crack. Just imagine where we'd be if we'd managed to pick up Kelly, Ryan, and others, for next to nothing in a preceding RD!
And the maths is simple. If said rando rookie pick has even a 1% chance of unearthing a talented player, then that is better than persisting with a spud who has 0% chance of coming good.

And yes, we don't do enough to give the kids games. We were forced to this season due to injury, but otherwise we are extremely slow, and it comes back to bite us in the arse on two fronts.
When we are forced to bring in fringe-players due to injury, they're completely unprepared.
Then, we get to the end of the season, and have to make contract decisions, for guys that have been on the list for years and yet barely cracked a game. Brayshaw should by rights be delisted, but who knows. He's had 3 years, and managed just one game.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:50 pm

West Coast Eagles have requested a list exemption for premiership player Daniel Venables amid his concussion battle.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Streaker wrote:West Coast Eagles have requested a list exemption for premiership player Daniel Venables amid his concussion battle.

What exactly have they asked for?
Is there a limit to how long somebody can stay on the inactive list? Or are they wanting to perhaps give him a chance at playin WAFL when and if able?
Anyway nice to see that they want to continue supporting him.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:West Coast Eagles have requested a list exemption for premiership player Daniel Venables amid his concussion battle.

Is there a limit to how long somebody can stay on the inactive list? Or are they wanting to perhaps give him a chance at playin WAFL when and if able?

Special Category to keep him on the list in the hope he can play again. I think they should just let him retire to get on with his life. Could wait and train for a while, come back and get one hit and he's gone again. Haven't they learnt anything from the studies they've done on concussion victims? Yeah he might be keen but you've got to live for a long time with this thing hovering over you.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:47 pm

Streaker wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

Special Category to keep him on the list in the hope he can play again. I think they should just let him retire to get on with his life. Could wait and train for a while, come back and get one hit and he's gone again. Haven't they learnt anything from the studies they've done on concussion victims? Yeah he might be keen but you've got to live for a long time with this thing hovering over you.

From the little I have read, it is possible to recover from PCS. So naturally we all hope he will. I don't know if a recoverer is at greater risk of injury, but gees its not something you'd want to risk. I don't think he will ever play again, I just think its good that the club wants to support him.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:From the little I have read, it is possible to recover from PCS. So naturally we all hope he will. I don't know if a recoverer is at greater risk of injury, but gees its not something you'd want to risk. I don't think he will ever play again, I just think its good that the club wants to support him.

After seeing what happened to Ebert tonight I seriously hope they reconsider.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 pm

Streaker wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:From the little I have read, it is possible to recover from PCS. So naturally we all hope he will. I don't know if a recoverer is at greater risk of injury, but gees its not something you'd want to risk. I don't think he will ever play again, I just think its good that the club wants to support him.

After seeing what happened to Ebert tonight I seriously hope they reconsider.

To be sure, Venables should never play again. It would just be nice to see him back on his feet.

And fuck I hate the commentators. You can clearly see Riewoldt's outstretched elbow take Ebert right in the head, but the commentators feel compelled to say "oh he must have hit his head on the ground".
Probably nothing in it, certainly not deliberate, and probably not even reckless, but no need to cover it up either.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:54 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:And fuck I hate the commentators. You can clearly see Riewoldt's outstretched elbow take Ebert right in the head, but the commentators feel compelled to say "oh he must have hit his head on the ground".
Probably nothing in it, certainly not deliberate, and probably not even reckless, but no need to cover it up either.

I think there was a bit of both in it. Riewoldt was clearly going for the ball. Nothing in it. Hard to watch Ebert getting to his feet.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:And fuck I hate the commentators. You can clearly see Riewoldt's outstretched elbow take Ebert right in the head, but the commentators feel compelled to say "oh he must have hit his head on the ground".

I think there was a bit of both in it. Riewoldt was clearly going for the ball. Nothing in it. Hard to watch Ebert getting to his feet.

Yeah. Accidental elbow then a solid whump into the turf.

Watching him get up was plain ugly. He had absolutely no idea where he was, who he was or what was going on. That was the worst head knock seen in awhile.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Watson, Brayshaw, Reid, Treacy and Mitch O’Neill have all been delisted.

Vardy, Jetta, Ah Chee, Venables, Hutchings, Jones are still uncontracted.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Mykidsdad on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:51 pm

Pinion King wrote:Watson, Brayshaw, Reid, Treacy and Mitch O’Neill have all been delisted.

Good luck to them all for their futures.

Does Ainsworth have a contract?
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Pinion King wrote:Watson, Brayshaw, Reid, Treacy and Mitch O’Neill have all been delisted.

Gotta love the email from the club!
It says 5 players have not been offered contracts.
It proceeds to list THREE,
followed by photos of Naiatnui and Allen :o WTF?!?

Feel bad for Franky, thought they might have placed him on the inactive list, but it's not really a surprise. He got a late start, and just hasn't come on quickly enough, and now ended by his ACL.

No real surprises in the others. MON unlucky, but he's another dudded by injury. Probably just not up to the rigours of AFL.

Treacy I never saw, but glad that they rolled the dice on a rookie, it didn't work, so moving on.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Mykidsdad wrote:

Good luck to them all for their futures.

Agree.
Watson the one I feel most for. Looked like he had it and would have given us pace, skills and tackling pressure. Just couldn't get into the lineup against Shep, Bunga and Jetta and kept getting injured when limited opportunities presented. Hence we now have Nelson playing in place of Jetta instead of Watson.

Of the uncontracted it seems Ainsworth has overtaken Hutchings as a tagger, Venables surely would be silly to risk it, Ah Chee has had a lot of chances and surely must be thin icing it. Vardy might be a wait on Hickey situation and Jones a 50/50 at best.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading