11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2021 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2021 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Mr Q on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:18 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Number 6 pick with nearly 100 games and we only lose pick 52.

And we stuck to our guns.

But is it a steal? Does he have the application to do the hard work? Why have Carlton let him go if its a steal? And given our selectors preference for playing the high paid stars in the midfield how is he going to lock down a spot in our midfield before becoming disheartened like he seems to be at Carlton? Agree he has the talent but so do many who don't have the application to play where needed, they just lobb about.

That SPS couldn't hold a spot in one of the least impressive teams in the competition is incontrovertible.

There are two possible reasons why his development may have stalled:
- Petrevski-Seton is the cause.
- Carlton is the cause.

Honestly, given how many good picks Carlton have had (and have raided from GWS/GC), they should have had a dominant team by now, so the second of those is not exactly an unlikely cause.

The next bit is, depending on which of the above it is, can it be fixed, and is West Coast currently the place where that can be fixed?

On the other hand, pick 52 is pretty meh normally, so rolling the dice like this is worth a shot, regardless of the outcome.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:28 pm

Mr Q wrote:That SPS couldn't hold a spot in one of the least impressive teams in the competition is incontrovertible.

There are two possible reasons why his development may have stalled:
- Petrevski-Seton is the cause.
- Carlton is the cause.

Honestly, given how many good picks Carlton have had (and have raided from GWS/GC), they should have had a dominant team by now, so the second of those is not exactly an unlikely cause.

The next bit is, depending on which of the above it is, can it be fixed, and is West Coast currently the place where that can be fixed?

On the other hand, pick 52 is pretty meh normally, so rolling the dice like this is worth a shot, regardless of the outcome.

I agree with all you say there Q. I'm also not unhappy the Ealges have rolled the dice on pick 52, worth the pick for sure; but nor am I overly excited. Hopefully that will change.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Foley has a new 2 year contract.

Brander and O'Neil are the only two without contracts.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:42 pm

Scratch that, just been announced O’Neill signed 2 years.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Favonius Aquila on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:45 pm

WTF is going on with the Eagles and Brander? He seems to be getting treated rather shabbily at the moment.
Favonius Aquila
Regular

Postby Mr Q on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:50 pm

Favonius Aquila wrote:WTF is going on with the Eagles and Brander? He seems to be getting treated rather shabbily at the moment.

I'd suggest the likely scenario is that he's been given licence to attempt to find another home if he can, with the Eagles perhaps saying if he can't, they're prepared to offer a one year deal or something like that (or even perhaps a push back to the rookie list).
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Favonius Aquila on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Brander just seems to he have been so badly mismanaged by the club. I understand that opportunies in the forward line have been scarce with Kennedy & Darling (& Allen), but where are our next key forwards going to come from once they're gone? Kennedy may not even play next year, while Darling has 3 or 4 years left in him. It seems so short sighted to draft a young key forward and invest nothing in his development in this area.
Favonius Aquila
Regular

Postby Perrythegreat on Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Favonius Aquila wrote:Brander just seems to he have been so badly mismanaged by the club. I understand that opportunies in the forward line have been scarce with Kennedy & Darling (& Allen), but where are our next key forwards going to come from once they're gone? Kennedy may not even play next year, while Darling has 3 or 4 years left in him. It seems so short sighted to draft a young key forward and invest nothing in his development in this area.

Yeah, I agree with this comment.

I just dont get what we are doing. Surely it is better to have him on our list than rolling the dice with pick 50 or 60 something. He hasnt looked out of place in the AFL playing in a position that is not natural to him. I'd like to see him given another year and give him a game up forward. Have we actually done that in the last 2-3 years to the guy?
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Pokitren on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 pm

Streaker wrote:I'm finding the whole trade period frustrating.

Take Luke Dunstan, a better midfielder than Luke Edwards, Xavier O'Neill and Connor West, an Unrestricted Free Agent who would've cost us nothing and we hear crickets. Will Brodie from the Suns, another being offloaded cheap who would fill a need....nothing.

All these pick swaps that happened this morning.....not a peep.

We seem to be about showboating and trying to do swaps live on the night of the draft so we get our face on the camera. You can guarantee that we'll try to do a smart trade and help some other team like we did with Sydney in helping them get Nick Blakey cheaply.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/new ... e48ypbdo84

We then traded it to Geelong the next year as part of the deal for Kelly.

Personally i reckon Glass was frustrated at the decisions made making him leave one month before Round 1 of the 2021 season.

If a person walks away in such a situation, it is very likely that they either acted without understanding or out of spite.
Pokitren
Rookie

Postby Pokitren on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Favonius Aquila wrote:WTF is going on with the Eagles and Brander? He seems to be getting treated rather shabbily at the moment.

I'd suggest the likely scenario is that he's been given licence to attempt to find another home if he can, with the Eagles perhaps saying if he can't, they're prepared to offer a one year deal or something like that (or even perhaps a push back to the rookie list).

The standard method of manipulation. They want their terms. And I think they are entitled to it.
Pokitren
Rookie

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:18 am

Is Pokitren a bot
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:59 am

Brander must have done something bad, I mean awful. He is worth being on the list. Is it his attitude? Was he caught necking another teammates better half? Something is not right here.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:34 pm

CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Favonius Aquila on Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:34 pm

DALBY wrote:Brander must have done something bad, I mean awful. He is worth being on the list. Is it his attitude? Was he caught necking another teammates better half? Something is not right here.

Like tipping Gatorade into his urine sample, testing positive for drugs and then getting caught with drugs at the airport? Oh, that's right..... I forgot you can do all that and be welcomed back with open arms!
Favonius Aquila
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:34 am

Brander has been delisted.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading