West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Stephen Coniglio

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Stephen Coniglio

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:34 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:What about Stephen Coniglio? He was in our U18 team last year, but I don’t remember any of his stats. However he was apparently a star for the duck’s league team and instrumental in their GF win. He was supposedly still only 16 at that time, but pretty sure he must have turned 17 before the end of the year? Surely he’s got to be one to watch this year?
Don’t know anything about what type of player he is, but he booted 4 goals in the GF, so maybe he’s a forward, or a goal-kicking midfielder?
According to the U18 list from last year, he was 183cm and 79kg.
I thought I’d give this guy his own thread, as according to the Herald Sun, the Gnats are already targeting him with their number 1 pick:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 6029759681
Although apparently the WACA will get first crack.
Does anyone know where he is at the moment? He hasn’t lined up for the ducks for a few weeks? Off with the AIS??

Further to my other thread, if he’s as good as the article makes out, this is where we should be proactively trying to do a trade with Sheedy.
(Otherwise over the next few years we’ll have all the obligatory threads about how he wants to come home, and how we should trade our 5th round pick and a packet of crisps for him.)
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: Stephen Coniglio

Postby Streaker on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:50 am

Coniglio is playing PSA football. To get Coniglio Sheedy would demand Shuey and LeCras as a trade + our first pick.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Streaker wrote:Coniglio is playing PSA football. To get Coniglio Sheedy would demand Shuey and LeCras as a trade + our first pick.
Bargain!
Is he really that good?
Whatever the cost, I would rather we try and do a trade now, than try and get him back in the future.
Of course chances are we will do neither.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:41 pm

He should just go off and play cricket for 3 years, then come back to footy and be picked up by us an an unregistered rookie for nothing.
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Interesting AFL article on Coniglio:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle ... fault.aspx
Seems that IF he chooses footy over cricket, he’s happy to go anywhere including the Gnats.

Given that our 1st pick is otherwise gonna be somewhere around 17+, I would really like to see us do a deal with GWS for one of their early picks.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Interesting AFL article on Coniglio:
Seems that IF he chooses footy over cricket, he’s happy to go anywhere including the Gnats.

Given that our 1st pick is otherwise gonna be somewhere around 17+, I would really like to see us do a deal with GWS for one of their early picks.

That is all well and good, but what do you suggest we put on the table for such a pick?
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby JYD on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:28 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:

That is all well and good, but what do you suggest we put on the table for such a pick?

Isn't the rule that they can only pre-select him if they agree to trade him? Otherwise they'll have to use a top three pick on him.

If they're super keen on him, they won't get him as a 17 year old, they'll just draft him.

If they want an experienced player in return for him (say, Masten and another first round pick), then they'll pre-list him.
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:45 pm

JYD wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:

Isn't the rule that they can only pre-select him if they agree to trade him? Otherwise they'll have to use a top three pick on him.

If they're super keen on him, they won't get him as a 17 year old, they'll just draft him.

If they want an experienced player in return for him (say, Masten and another first round pick), then they'll pre-list him.

He is already 17 so he is ineligible for the under-age draft pick, so virtually cannot be traded for (can obviously try and trade for one of GWS first picks to get him, but not a direct player x for coniglio)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby JYD on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:47 pm

I must have mis-read somewhere. In that case, we're no chance.
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

WCE Book 89 wrote:

He is already 17 so he is ineligible for the under-age draft pick, so virtually cannot be traded for (can obviously try and trade for one of GWS first picks to get him, but not a direct player x for coniglio)
Since GWS have the first 3 picks we COULD do a trade for Coniglio if GWS were willing and that’s what we wanted. However even one of their other early picks would likely net us a decent player.
No other club is going to part with an early pick except for a superstar.

As for what we’d offer, well the same thing we offered to get players like Banfield and Gardner. We offer other players, players and picks, or we do a three way deal with another club to give them picks.
I don’t know what Sheeds intends, so I can’t speculate on what he might be after; maybe some more experienced players, maybe a bunch of players who have some AFL experience but are still relatively young and in whom SHEEDY sees more potential. Maybe a player that we would not think of trading but GWS offers him a $5M contract, or maybe he won’t trade any picks but will go for 100% fresh youth.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
WCE Book 89 wrote:

Since GWS have the first 3 picks we COULD do a trade for Coniglio if GWS were willing and that’s what we wanted. However even one of their other early picks would likely net us a decent player.
No other club is going to part with an early pick except for a superstar.

As for what we’d offer, well the same thing we offered to get players like Banfield and Gardner. We offer other players, players and picks, or we do a three way deal with another club to give them picks.
I don’t know what Sheeds intends, so I can’t speculate on what he might be after; maybe some more experienced players, maybe a bunch of players who have some AFL experience but are still relatively young and in whom SHEEDY sees more potential. Maybe a player that we would not think of trading but GWS offers him a $5M contract, or maybe he won’t trade any picks but will go for 100% fresh youth.

Bolded part: Is that not what I said in my bracket part?

And I asked you what you thought we should put on the table. What would YOU consider putting on the table in order to get one of their top three picks.

Staker and pick 54?
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby JYD on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:46 am

JYD wrote:I must have mis-read somewhere. In that case, we're no chance.

Was thinking of O'Meara/Yarran.
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:17 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:And I asked you what you thought we should put on the table. What would YOU consider putting on the table in order to get one of their top three picks.
It’s difficult to speculate, without knowing what Sheedy is looking for, who Woosha might want to offload, who might be looking to move on, and who in fact Sheedy might already be targeting as his uncontracted player.
That said, and as much as I would love to get Coniglio, I doubt we would get one of his top 3 picks without offering up a genuine star. However we might be able to package a couple of players for one of his top 10 picks.
I don’t really like speculating about individual players, because it is perceived as disloyal. There are a few players who I believe within 2 years will be struggling to get a game at WCE, but would probably be good for 3+ years at GWS. But who knows which (if any) of those Sheeds might be interested in?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:And I asked you what you thought we should put on the table. What would YOU consider putting on the table in order to get one of their top three picks.
It’s difficult to speculate, without knowing what Sheedy is looking for, who Woosha might want to offload, who might be looking to move on, and who in fact Sheedy might already be targeting as his uncontracted player.
That said, and as much as I would love to get Coniglio, I doubt we would get one of his top 3 picks without offering up a genuine star. However we might be able to package a couple of players for one of his top 10 picks.
I don’t really like speculating about individual players, because it is perceived as disloyal. There are a few players who I believe within 2 years will be struggling to get a game at WCE, but would probably be good for 3+ years at GWS. But who knows which (if any) of those Sheeds might be interested in?

... If you didn't want to speculate about what we could give to GWS in order to pick up a pick high enough for Coniglio then why state you would love to see us trade for one of their picks?
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:12 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:... If you didn't want to speculate about what we could give to GWS in order to pick up a pick high enough for Coniglio then why state you would love to see us trade for one of their picks?
I reckon there are about a dozen players on our senior list who have limited futures, will struggle to get games, and won’t be around beyond 2013. Some of those are just crabs who will be delisted, and most will just drift along, but there might be one or two that could play another 3 or more years at a young club like GWS.
Also, if we all disregard loyalty, etc, and looked purely at practicalities, there are some senior players that could undoubtedly extend their careers and wallets with a move to GWS. Not suggesting that I want to see that happen, but if Sheeds were to offer one of those guys a $5M deal it would be hard to blame them…

If we are going to be a force in 2014~15, then we are still a few “potential champions” short and over the next few years we need to draft quality rather than quantity. Chances are we’re going to get something like picks #20, #40, and #58, so I would really like to see us chase one of his top 10 picks. If Sheeds wants to get in some experienced and/or “AFL ready” players he might be interested in trading 2 or 3 players for a decent pick. (Then again he might prefer to simply go for the best youth he can.)

Let’s not forget that whilst Coniglio is currently touted as a #1 pick, that may all change, and he might slip to 7~9.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading