11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Stephen Coniglio

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Stephen Coniglio

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:... If you didn't want to speculate about what we could give to GWS in order to pick up a pick high enough for Coniglio then why state you would love to see us trade for one of their picks?
I reckon there are about a dozen players on our senior list who have limited futures, will struggle to get games, and won’t be around beyond 2013. Some of those are just crabs who will be delisted, and most will just drift along, but there might be one or two that could play another 3 or more years at a young club like GWS.
Also, if we all disregard loyalty, etc, and looked purely at practicalities, there are some senior players that could undoubtedly extend their careers and wallets with a move to GWS. Not suggesting that I want to see that happen, but if Sheeds were to offer one of those guys a $5M deal it would be hard to blame them…

If we are going to be a force in 2014~15, then we are still a few “potential champions” short and over the next few years we need to draft quality rather than quantity. Chances are we’re going to get something like picks #20, #40, and #58, so I would really like to see us chase one of his top 10 picks. If Sheeds wants to get in some experienced and/or “AFL ready” players he might be interested in trading 2 or 3 players for a decent pick. (Then again he might prefer to simply go for the best youth he can.)

Let’s not forget that whilst Coniglio is currently touted as a #1 pick, that may all change, and he might slip to 7~9.

This reminds me of I think it was Shane Crawford on one of the plethora of footy shows out there, dished out a spray to a 'group of players' from a team for an insipid performance in one game. Then when asked about which players, he just said 'look at the first 5 minutes of the game and you will see' and just flat out refused to name names.

It is blatantly obvious we will need to trade players to GWS to get a high pick, they won't just hand their draft picks over as Christmas presents. What players in your opinion do you think should we shop around to them to at least get an invite to sit down with them in trade week? (and not the 'players with 3 years left in them' spiel you have thrown out)

I honestly don't see many players on our list that would be that inviting for GWS and that would be worth taking a punt on an up and coming junior.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:12 pm

the older players that GOLD coast took where all almost freebies. Fraser, Harris. players no one else wanted. to get a good pick it would have to be a really good 24-26 year old. PRIDDA, Rosa, Lecca, Waters, Butler. ie the back bone of the team, who you wouldn't trade for a 17 year old. Have all those guys signed on?
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby jaxster on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:29 pm

C'mon, lets be serious here. Unless it's a LeCras or Kennedy - they won't even bother picking up the phone !
Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of Government.
jaxster
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:the older players that GOLD coast took where all almost freebies. Fraser, Harris. players no one else wanted. to get a good pick it would have to be a really good 24-26 year old. PRIDDA, Rosa, Lecca, Waters, Butler. ie the back bone of the team, who you wouldn't trade for a 17 year old. Have all those guys signed on?

Yeah that is what I was thinking. The older players wouldn't be worth much and most are from the premiership era so you would assume they would want to finish their career and help the younger brigade, or would feel that it would taint their medallions if they pulled on another jumper.

Pretty sure Lecras signed on earlier this year, Waters was the latest signing. Butler would be too injury prone for them anyways! But unsure about the contract status of most players (except apparently Masten is signed until 2013?)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm

jaxster wrote:C'mon, lets be serious here. Unless it's a LeCras or Kennedy - they won't even bother picking up the phone !

Yep pretty much, they are going to want way over the odds. I mean we should still try, but I wouldn't be putting much time and effort into putting forward a case for their top picks. Much better off looking at trying to do a deal for compensation picks, or there late first round/early second round picks. Koby Stevens might be feeling a bit ripped off at the end of the season and might want to try elsewhere, Jordan Jones might realise he is competing for a spot in a very competitive back line and might like his chances elsewhere (Smith and Sheppard given opportunities over him, probably rated below Stevenson too then there is the senior players who are coming back from injuries). Those two are more likely to be end of second round/third round though.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:I reckon there are about a dozen players on our senior list who have limited futures, will struggle to get games, and won’t be around beyond 2013. Some of those are just crabs who will be delisted, and most will just drift along, but there might be one or two that could play another 3 or more years at a young club like GWS.
Also, if we all disregard loyalty, etc, and looked purely at practicalities, there are some senior players that could undoubtedly extend their careers and wallets with a move to GWS. Not suggesting that I want to see that happen, but if Sheeds were to offer one of those guys a $5M deal it would be hard to blame them…

If we are going to be a force in 2014~15, then we are still a few “potential champions” short and over the next few years we need to draft quality rather than quantity. Chances are we’re going to get something like picks #20, #40, and #58, so I would really like to see us chase one of his top 10 picks. If Sheeds wants to get in some experienced and/or “AFL ready” players he might be interested in trading 2 or 3 players for a decent pick. (Then again he might prefer to simply go for the best youth he can.)

Let’s not forget that whilst Coniglio is currently touted as a #1 pick, that may all change, and he might slip to 7~9.
It is blatantly obvious we will need to trade players to GWS to get a high pick, they won't just hand their draft picks over as Christmas presents. What players in your opinion do you think should we shop around to them to at least get an invite to sit down with them in trade week? (and not the 'players with 3 years left in them' spiel you have thrown out)
I’m glad that it’s “blatantly obvious we will need to trade players,” as I’d hate to think what else you’d want to trade them for draft picks?

I have been clear from the outset that in order to get a top three pick we’d need to trade them a star, and that I don’t see that happening unless GWS decided to target someone with a mega-offer, which is unlikely.
I have also been clear that any thought of a trade (for one of his other “top 10” picks) is entirely predicated on the notion that Sheedy would want to trade in some experienced and/or “AFL Ready” players (which it is entirely possible he does not.)
Furthermore, even if such a trade were possible, it is entirely dependent on what Sheedy wants, who he likes, and who he sees potential in, rather than what cast-offs we are looking to dump.
I’m sorry if you still can’t understand, but short of getting out the crayolas and drawing pictures, it is the best I can do.

As for your fixation on names, well here is a list of potential trades: http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/playe ... fault.aspx
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:07 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:I reckon there are about a dozen players on our senior list who have limited futures, will struggle to get games, and won’t be around beyond 2013. Some of those are just crabs who will be delisted, and most will just drift along, but there might be one or two that could play another 3 or more years at a young club like GWS.

I’m glad that it’s “blatantly obvious we will need to trade players,” as I’d hate to think what else you’d want to trade them for draft picks?

I have been clear from the outset that in order to get a top three pick we’d need to trade them a star, and that I don’t see that happening unless GWS decided to target someone with a mega-offer, which is unlikely.
I have also been clear that any thought of a trade (for one of his other “top 10” picks) is entirely predicated on the notion that Sheedy would want to trade in some experienced and/or “AFL Ready” players (which it is entirely possible he does not.)
Furthermore, even if such a trade were possible, it is entirely dependent on what Sheedy wants, who he likes, and who he sees potential in, rather than what cast-offs we are looking to dump.
I’m sorry if you still can’t understand, but short of getting out the crayolas and drawing pictures, it is the best I can do.

As for your fixation on names, well here is a list of potential trades: http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/playe ... fault.aspx

But you were the one that came in here and said we should try and trade with GWS to try and get him? I am sorry for asking what you would offer...
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:58 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Interesting AFL article on Coniglio:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle ... fault.aspx
Seems that IF he chooses footy over cricket, he’s happy to go anywhere including the Gnats.
Interesting. Very Interesting.

Just read the original Herald Sun article, which suggests that Coniglio AND HIS PARENTS are so disenchanted by the idea of going to GWS that he is considering boycotting this year’s draft.
Then a week or so later he is interviewed by the AFL’s pet reporter and suddenly its all sunshine and roses BUT he “might choose cricket.” A cynic might suggest they are preparing their “he can’t decide between footy and cricket” smokescreen for when one of the hottest young prospects decides not to nominate.
Do you reckon it would help much?
Next year the top picks will still go to clubs like GC, GWS, Port, Brisvegas, etc. Hopefully we will have something like pick 18.
Do you think it might scare clubs off? Would a club be less inclined to spend their 1st round pick if he had already demonstrated his determination not to play and they were convinced that he would demand a trade home at the first opportunity?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 am

http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-an ... m/7602422/

WITH the AFL draft only two months away, rising teenage superstar Stephen Coniglio is handling the exposure like a seasoned veteran. The Swan Districts product nominated for the draft on Monday, ending months of speculation about his sporting future.

A passionate West Coast Eagles supporter, Coniglio said he would always have a soft spot for the blue and gold. “I spent a week training with the Eagles through an Australian Institute of Sport program, but no, I haven't had a formal chat with them. “I'm still an Eagles supporter; obviously I'd be all about whatever team I'm with, but I'd always have a soft spot for them.”
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:22 am

Streaker wrote:http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-sport/Super-Stephen-set-for-stardom/7602422/

WITH the AFL draft only two months away, rising teenage superstar Stephen Coniglio is handling the exposure like a seasoned veteran. The Swan Districts product nominated for the draft on Monday, ending months of speculation about his sporting future.

A passionate West Coast Eagles supporter, Coniglio said he would always have a soft spot for the blue and gold. “I spent a week training with the Eagles through an Australian Institute of Sport program, but no, I haven't had a formal chat with them. “I'm still an Eagles supporter; obviously I'd be all about whatever team I'm with, but I'd always have a soft spot for them.”

We probably havent had a chat with him because we have no chance of picking him. :(
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jaxster on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Gold Coast have flagged they may be prepared to part with pick 4 for a mature body forward. Go bananas guys.
Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of Government.
jaxster
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Bloodstream on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Callum Wilson or Quinten Lynch? :D
Official 2014 EFH Sponsor of Dom Sheed
Official 2013 EFH Sponsor of Jamie Cripps
Official 2012 EFH Sponsor of Murray Newman
Official 2011 EFH Sponsor of Jack Darling
Official 2010 EFH Sponsor of Jordan Jones
Bloodstream
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Eliot Mess on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Hams has a mature body.
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Persian Ace on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:50 am

Eliot Mess wrote:Hams has a mature body.

LOL

Gold EM, gold.
Unofficial Sponsor of the Will of Schofield
"I fear God, and next to God I mostly fear them, that fear him not." - Saadi
Persian Ace
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Persian Ace on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:58 am

jaxster wrote:Gold Coast have flagged they may be prepared to part with pick 4 for a mature body forward. Go bananas guys.

That equates to either a Lecras/Kennedy/Lynch. I could only consider giving up the latter.

I would even be hesitant to consider a deal like, Lecras for Coniglio + Matera. In behavioural economics they call it the "endowment effect" where we place greater value on objects that we have in our possession. Nevertheless, putting ALL emotion and attachment aside, such a deal could potentially be a win for us: Coniglio + Matera > Lecras. I emphasis potentially. Nevertheless, this is the trick in trading proven class for prospective benefits. You ask for more, because there is greater risk involved.
Unofficial Sponsor of the Will of Schofield
"I fear God, and next to God I mostly fear them, that fear him not." - Saadi
Persian Ace
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading