11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Stephen Coniglio

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Stephen Coniglio

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:39 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Streaker wrote:http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-sport/Super-Stephen-set-for-stardom/7602422/

WITH the AFL draft only two months away, rising teenage superstar Stephen Coniglio is handling the exposure like a seasoned veteran. The Swan Districts product nominated for the draft on Monday, ending months of speculation about his sporting future.

A passionate West Coast Eagles supporter, Coniglio said he would always have a soft spot for the blue and gold. “I spent a week training with the Eagles through an Australian Institute of Sport program, but no, I haven't had a formal chat with them. “I'm still an Eagles supporter; obviously I'd be all about whatever team I'm with, but I'd always have a soft spot for them.”

We probably havent had a chat with him because we have no chance of picking him. :(
That's what they said about Darling.

Interesting to see that Coniglio has changed his tune. I guess some one has pointed out that he has no choice in the matter, and regardless of when he nominates he will end up going to the GWS, GCS, etc.
I would not be surprised if he slides, but given his continuing favouritism I can’t see him going past top 5, so we are no chance.

Would the Rabble give us their 1st pick for Lynch? I think he’s worth it, but does Bluey?
Wilson might get #104, and we’d be lucky to have him off our list.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:43 pm

id trade mitch brown to GC for pick 4, thow in wilson.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby JYD on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:id trade mitch brown to GC for pick 4, thow in wilson.

lol
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:03 pm

We could throw in Staker as well... ;)
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby The Boat on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Jesus Domo, you need a break for month or two.

We will get Coniglio in two years, his family live and breathe West Coast.

He is a shit cricketer, never in doubt that he would nominate for the draft
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 am

Mr Q wrote:

Pre or post LARS? :(
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:03 am

The Boat wrote:Jesus Domo, you need a break for month or two.

We will get Coniglio in two years, his family live and breathe West Coast.

He is a shit cricketer, never in doubt that he would nominate for the draft

I wouldn't start professing you know inside information about players, gravy might come along and cheap shot ya! :lol:

But nah, what makes you say he is a shit cricketer? Coming through the ranks at your club? Played against him? or just along the grapevine stuff? Because I mean to be in line for a WA contract he would have to be doing something right...
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby JYD on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:20 am

Mr Q wrote:

Do we get Buddy too?
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:21 am

JYD wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

Do we get Buddy too?

only if we throw in our 4th rounder!
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:21 am

JYD wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

Do we get Buddy too?

They'd have to sweeten the deal with cyril.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby JYD on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 am

Streaker wrote:They'd have to sweeten the deal with cyril.

No dice.
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Further to my other thread, if he’s as good as the article makes out, this is where we should be proactively trying to do a trade with Sheedy.
(Otherwise over the next few years we’ll have all the obligatory threads about how he wants to come home, and how we should trade our 5th round pick and a packet of crisps for him.)
Pinion King wrote:Talk going around that Coniglio may be re-signing with GWS. Gah.

It's hard to read much into reports either way. Naturally they're in negotiations, and reality is that a new contract could be announced any day.
We're still only at the half-way of the season. Coniglio has missed a lost of time to injury over the past few years, and started this season as the sub, but has since played every game. If he cements his place, continues to improve, and stays injury free then his value increases, so it makes sense not to sign too early. (Of course if he suffers another season-ending injury then the gamble hasn't paid off.)
He grew up an Eagles Fan and admits to still having a "soft spot" for the Eagles. Way back when, his family didn't want him to go to GWS, and allegedly contemplated boycotting the draft of a year.
He seems to be a good kid, close with his family, and has visited with his junior club, so I'd imagine that he'd be happy to return home. But that doesn't mean it's a high priority. I guess if we get to the end of the season and he hasn't re-signed, then that's a positive sign.

Problem then becomes WTF do we offer in trade? No problem throwing a draft pick or two into the mix, but what (or who) else is it going to require?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby snert on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Further to my other thread, if he’s as good as the article makes out, this is where we should be proactively trying to do a trade with Sheedy.
(Otherwise over the next few years we’ll have all the obligatory threads about how he wants to come home, and how we should trade our 5th round pick and a packet of crisps for him.)
Pinion King wrote:Talk going around that Coniglio may be re-signing with GWS. Gah.

It's hard to read much into reports either way. Naturally they're in negotiations, and reality is that a new contract could be announced any day.
We're still only at the half-way of the season. Coniglio has missed a lost of time to injury over the past few years, and started this season as the sub, but has since played every game. If he cements his place, continues to improve, and stays injury free then his value increases, so it makes sense not to sign too early. (Of course if he suffers another season-ending injury then the gamble hasn't paid off.)
He grew up an Eagles Fan and admits to still having a "soft spot" for the Eagles. Way back when, his family didn't want him to go to GWS, and allegedly contemplated boycotting the draft of a year.
He seems to be a good kid, close with his family, and has visited with his junior club, so I'd imagine that he'd be happy to return home. But that doesn't mean it's a high priority. I guess if we get to the end of the season and he hasn't re-signed, then that's a positive sign.

Problem then becomes WTF do we offer in trade? No problem throwing a draft pick or two into the mix, but what (or who) else is it going to require?

The first step would be to get him to agree to come to the club and the terms in which he would. After that it would then require a trade negotiation with GWS. I would have little doubt that our recruiting staff would be in contact with Coniglio's manager and sounding him out. Having said that, it is always difficult to move a player from a club he has been playing at. At this stage, and I know I labour this point, we need to focus on extending contracts for Duggan, Lamb and Nelson. other teams are locking theirs in so we ought to be doing the same.

Coniglio would be a huge win for us as would O'Meara at GC. Would we be interested in Yarran or Matera? Any others?
snert
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:28 pm

snert wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

The first step would be to get him to agree to come to the club and the terms in which he would. After that it would then require a trade negotiation with GWS. I would have little doubt that our recruiting staff would be in contact with Coniglio's manager and sounding him out. Having said that, it is always difficult to move a player from a club he has been playing at. At this stage, and I know I labour this point, we need to focus on extending contracts for Duggan, Lamb and Nelson. other teams are locking theirs in so we ought to be doing the same.

Coniglio would be a huge win for us as would O'Meara at GC. Would we be interested in Yarran or Matera? Any others?

Yeah, no point picking somebody else's pockets, if we're getting burgled at home. Not a bad idea to look at those three, understand they have already shown they have a future, and lock them in. Try to get away from the biennial worry that they want to go home.
Not sure about O'Meara. He's either going to be a superstar, or a very sad story. Matera needs to improve his attitude and fitness.
If the wheels keep falling off at GC, they could be a lucrative hunting ground for clubs looking for young stars.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Pinion King wrote:Coniglio has re-signed with GWS.

So cross him off our list.

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

It's following the exact same pattern it did with GC, young players re-signing for stupendous salaries.
So far GWS look to have done a better job than GC, but we'll have to wait and see how they cope with a tougher draw.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading