Postby snert on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:58 am

Bigbav wrote:O'Meara.

That is all.

Bring Yarran home. He's ripe for the picking
snert
EFH Legend

Re: Stephen Coniglio

Postby Pinion King on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:27 am

Has just extended his contract to the end of 2019.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:12 pm

Pinion King wrote:Has just extended his contract to the end of 2019.

It's sad, he'll have to hide those premiership medallions at the bottom of his sock draw.
I'm sure they're enjoying the money at the moment, and the artificial success, but its not something you could look back on with any pride. A bit like the West Indians who went on a tour of Apartheid SA as "Honorary Whites." A lifetime of scrubbing won't erase the stench.
Could be worse, he could be a male prostitute, but most of those would argue they have little choice.

I appreciate these guys are well insulated, but how can they not realise their "club" is a sad joke?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:

It's sad, he'll have to hide those premiership medallions at the bottom of his sock draw.
I'm sure they're enjoying the money at the moment, and the artificial success, but its not something you could look back on with any pride. A bit like the West Indians who went on a tour of Apartheid SA as "Honorary Whites." A lifetime of scrubbing won't erase the stench.
Could be worse, he could be a male prostitute, but most of those would argue they have little choice.

I appreciate these guys are well insulated, but how can they not realise their "club" is a sad joke?

A Premiership Medallion is still a Premiership medallion whether you're Chris Judd or Mark Seaby.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 am

Streaker wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

A Premiership Medallion is still a Premiership medallion whether you're Chris Judd or Mark Seaby.

True, but if (or should I say when) GWS start winning them in the next few years, its just going to be a sick joke.
Sure, the AFL will tout the "success" of its expansion vision, and a few simpletons may actually believe that. Everyone else will just quietly vomit.

Thing is, history will have plenty of time to judge, and it will judge harshly. People will look back at it, as they now look at Brisbane, and just shake their heads.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby jourgo on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:True, but if (or should I say when) GWS start winning them in the next few years, its just going to be a sick joke.
Sure, the AFL will tout the "success" of its expansion vision, and a few simpletons may actually believe that. Everyone else will just quietly vomit.

Thing is, history will have plenty of time to judge, and it will judge harshly. People will look back at it, as they now look at Brisbane, and just shake their heads.

Bollocks. Total, unadulterated bollocks. Players (for the most part) play to win flags. GWS players have been handed that opportunity on a platter and you reckon history will judge them harshly for taking it?

Save some of what you're smoking for me, wont ya!?
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby domo_the_eagle on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:02 pm

jourgo wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:True, but if (or should I say when) GWS start winning them in the next few years, its just going to be a sick joke.

Bollocks. Total, unadulterated bollocks. Players (for the most part) play to win flags. GWS players have been handed that opportunity on a platter and you reckon history will judge them harshly for taking it?

Dunno a part of me wants GWS to win the next 10 premierships as they made the most of the extremely generous concessions in the start up. Its a great model that they can continue to collect on as they will trade players to clubs for quality pics as they develop and they cant break into the GWS 22.

Would a GWS premiership mean the same thing to its supporters who have only been around a few years?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby jourgo on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
jourgo wrote:

Dunno a part of me wants GWS to win the next 10 premierships as they made the most of the extremely generous concessions in the start up. Its a great model that they can continue to collect on as they will trade players to clubs for quality pics as they develop and they cant break into the GWS 22.

Would a GWS premiership mean the same thing to its supporters who have only been around a few years?

Well I'm old enough to remember watching the 92 GF and I can tell you that one meant every bit as much to me as 94 & 06.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:22 pm

jourgo wrote:Well I'm old enough to remember watching the 92 GF and I can tell you that one meant every bit as much to me as 94 & 06.

The 92 GF will never be matched; the west actually was united against those horrible Victorians. Plus we had a totally West Australian team which is also very unlikely ever to be matched again; more the pity.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Bit of an ancient thread dive, but no point stating a whole new thread for something that won't amount to much.

Obviously GWS did well taking Coniglio.
And whilst they have done well, clearly we overestimated the flags they would win.
Perhaps Gilligan hasn't been as loyal in defending his legacy as Fat Andy might have hoped. Certainly pulling the COLA rug from under them was a nice touch.
And now Coniglio is a Free Agent (for now.)

All the mail says he is fielding lucrative offers from 2 or 3 Melbourne clubs, including Hawks and Blues. Nobody really seems to have us in the equation.

It's hard not to have mixed emotions about this.
We were all chuffed to bits when Gaffy rejected massive coin and elected to stick with us. (Although the lure of chasing more flags may have helped) And I personally was irked to lose Lycett.
I suppose what I would say in this:
The Giants (and Sins) were given massive concessions to pillage the draft, with the Giants also effectively given the top 2 picks in the two following drafts. This effectively denied us any shot at a lot of talent, and frankly I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.
This IS the system. We lost Selwood and Lycett, and must have come close to losing Gaff. If it works for us, we should have no qualms about getting in on the other side.

Coniglio is 6 months older than Kelly, so he's probably good for 1 season less, but both would be decent acquisitions. You'd assume that in a free & open market, both would be worth similar money, but Cogs can get more being a FA.
The positives with Cogs is that its all open and above board. Clubs make official offers of $X and GWS has to match it if they can. There's no jobs for Mum or fruit baskets. Plus he costs us nothing at the trade table.
Unless Kelly is prepared to threaten the Cats with the PSD (unlikely) its going to be almost impossible for us to make a trade.

So are we going after Coniglio?
I've never heard of any "come home" factor, but surely we could make a case?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby jourgo on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Reading between the lines, like Jaeger O'Meara before him I think Coniglio wants to be in Melbourne and which team he ends up at is the secondary consideration. So taking that into account, I cannot see West Coast making a play for him.

Also not sure we should be throwing the kitchen sink at getting Kelly. Be nice to have him but not at the kind of prices being touted. Also, historically West Coast only trade based on need (or if something particularly juicy falls into their lap - think Stenglein & Chick). Who does Kelly shift out of that midfield?

Leave the big game hunting to Fremantle. That's always worked out well for them.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:51 pm

jourgo wrote:Reading between the lines, like Jaeger O'Meara before him I think Coniglio wants to be in Melbourne and which team he ends up at is the secondary consideration. So taking that into account, I cannot see West Coast making a play for him.

Also not sure we should be throwing the kitchen sink at getting Kelly. Be nice to have him but not at the kind of prices being touted. Also, historically West Coast only trade based on need (or if something particularly juicy falls into their lap - think Stenglein & Chick). Who does Kelly shift out of that midfield?

Leave the big game hunting to Fremantle. That's always worked out well for them.

We were very keen last year so that suggests we will be again.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby jourgo on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 pm

On Coniglio? I wasn't aware of any discussion on him at all.

If you're talking about Kelly - I know, and I didn't say we wouldn't be. Just questioning the wisdom of it with the apparent price tag.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm

jourgo wrote:Reading between the lines, like Jaeger O'Meara before him I think Coniglio wants to be in Melbourne and which team he ends up at is the secondary consideration. So taking that into account, I cannot see West Coast making a play for him.

I think we've always been willing to have a crack when somebody genuinely says "I want to come home". (Or in the case of Redden "fuck this shit".)
But even IF Kelly genuinely wants home, and IF he doesn't want the Muppets, I can't see how we could make a trade. Even if we don't win the big one, our pick will be towards the end of the round. So we'd have to give up quality player(s) either in swap, or to to get the necessary pick. We'd be looking at something like giving up Oscar Allen, just not worth it.. Muppets will have a good pick, and undoubtedly put that on the table if he's available.

Coniglio would cost nothing on the trade table. I know he still has strong ties at home, and seems to enjoy his time back here, but I have no idea who his current love-interest is, or where they might be headed. Melbourne does have the advantage of being less of a goldfish bowl.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading