West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Harley Bennell - 3rd time's the charm?

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Harley Bennell - 3rd time's the charm?

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Actually feel really sorry for the kid. Leaving home at such a young age is not for everyone, and it’s worse because he has no choice if he wants an AFL career. Must feel very “trapped.” I’m not sure what the alternative is, but in his case I get the feeling it is genuine rather than just someone having a whinge.

I just hope WCE get their shite together and get a deal done before the purple freaks get their hands on him.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: Harley Homesick

Postby thorne89 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:51 pm

He's a massive Freo fan apparently.

Not the deciding factor, but not one which bodes well for us.
"I’m just a normal functioning member of the human race and there’s no way anyone can prove otherwise"
thorne89
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Would prefer about 20 kids on their list more than Bennell.

Swallow becoming homesick, for example, would be far more encouraging.
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 pm

From the games I have seen him play, looks like a Daniel Wells without the finishing ability. He looks like he will do something only Andrew Krackour (Sp?) would do, then completely messes it up. If he was to come cheaply, then maybe, but he also seems to have a huge ego, which I don't would go down too well at the club seeing as the players are very disciplined lately.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Tony Evans Rules wrote:Would prefer about 20 kids on their list more than Bennell.

Swallow becoming homesick, for example, would be far more encouraging.

Would prefer 20 kids on Peels list before I look at Bennell.

Massive downhill skier that has shown already in his time at Gold Coast that he has little interest in doing the hard work. Just don't see what all the fuss is about him.

Use the assets we could spend on Bennell on a play to get O'Meara.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Sico 17 wrote:Massive downhill skier that has shown already in his time at Gold Coast that he has little interest in doing the hard work.

Just don't see what all the fuss is about him.
You’re kidding right?
This kid was an absolute star at under 18’s, that’s what all the fuss was about. He could play anywhere from a running back-pocket to a crumbing forward pocket, or anywhere in between. You don’t lose that X factor in a few months.
“Little interest in doing the hard work” does not sound like anything I have heard and read about him before the draft, but sounds exactly like someone who is desperately unhappy at the Rabble.
(Current criticism also sounds suspiciously like that directed at Darling after his 2nd yr of U18’s.)

Yes, he was a Dockers fan, but in his own words “only because they were closer to home.” We have more to offer him, and it would likely come down to who can do the best deal with GC.

Talk of luring home Matera, Rich, etc, is nonsense, but here is a genuinely talented kid who DOES actually want to come home and where we would have a legitimate shot at doing a deal.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Firstly, surely this belongs in drafts and trading rather than the Eagles board.

Secondly, agree with Sico. That said Sico would likely have seen more of him before he was drafted, but I just don't see why he is so hyped. He looks like he could very well go down the Daniel Motlop/Daniel Wells/Nathan Krackouer path. Promise something big, twice a year look like delivering on the promise and then the rest of the year you are scratching your head wondering whether he will make it or not. We already have Masten doing that on our list, don't think we need another promising top draft pick on the list, unless he comes cheap. But I can't see Gold Coast going for anything less than what they paid for him, or at the very least a first rounder. Would rather take our chances on the draft, or trying to get a player who has shown something with that pick.

Also back to the OP, what do you mean he has no choice? He could have chosen to just not nominate and therefore stay at home. He could have just nominated for the PSD and then more of a chance at getting to a WA club (where GC only had 1 pick, not 3 picks before everyone else). But he has been there for about half a year, maybe a touch more and is wanting to go home, what happens if we do get him and he goes through a form slump? Does he crack it and go chill with Sampi at the Turtle shack? (that said, Sampi did have more of a reason behind his than form)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:10 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:Also back to the OP, what do you mean he has no choice?
As I said, “no choice IF HE WANTS AN AFL CAREER.” It’s the same problem faced by every AFL wanabe for the last 20+ years but for someone who is unhappy it must feel very constricting. Most 18 year olds treat the draft as a great adventure and have the time of their life at their new clubs, but clearly he is different.

I watched this kid at U18s and he was a superstar. (Difficult to compare directly to Swallow and Matera because they had already gone to GC.) The fact that he has failed to thrive with Rabble ENHANCES his tradability.
Some people are clueless: We missed our opportunities to do deals for Rich and Matera, but after they have EMBRACED their new clubs and THRIVED, people are happy to write pages and pages on how we are magically going to lure them home and trade them for pick 86 and a packet of chips. Furthermore, we (and Freo) have absolutely no leverage when it comes to chasing a proven star because (by definition) they have proven that they will thrive wherever they are traded, so every club is in on the chase.
Whilst I do feel extremely sorry for Harley, putting that aside, this is EXACTLY the scenario the Eagles (and Freo) would be praying for in regards to a talented WA youngster. He genuinely wants to come home and has failed to thrive at his new club (diminishing his value to them) whilst also proving that he would be equally miserable at any other club.
I’d also point out that his game against us was his best this year. (Maybe he was just happy to be home, or was trying to show Woosh what he could do.)
I also find it bizarre that people want to write him off after a few months and some decent games??? Let’s put that in context; he has shown more to date than Gaff, Weedon, Sheppard, Stevens, etc. Should we write off all those young kids too???
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:26 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote: He could have just nominated for the PSD and then more of a chance at getting to a WA club (where GC only had 1 pick, not 3 picks before everyone else).

No, he couldn't have done that. A player can only elect to nominate for the PSD only if they have already been on an AFL list. A player who has never been on an AFL list must nominate for the National Draft. If not selected in the ND, they are automatically eligible for the PSD (there used to be a minimum age restriction by which some bottom age players could not nominate for the PSD/rookie drafts, but I think the ND is now in line with that so it's no longer in play).
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:20 pm

there is no PSD these days, players just put a price on their heads. ala Luke ball
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:24 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:there is no PSD these days, players just put a price on their heads. ala Luke ball

Luke Ball got picked up in the national draft.

PSD is where we have picked up Neates and Blayne Wilson. It is also a draft where players that are delisted in the second list lodgement are able to be picked up, like Tim Houlihan could have been.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm

nope he can got to Freo then. not interested what so ever, typical party boy kid!
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Talk of luring home Matera, Rich, etc, is nonsense, but here is a genuinely talented kid who DOES actually want to come home and where we would have a legitimate shot at doing a deal.

Genuinely talented kid who has shown three fifths of fuck all and twice been suspended by his own club for not turning up to training.

Saw him play in the WAFL colts, saw him go missing when it got too hard.

Once again, no thanks.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 am

Sico 17 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Talk of luring home Matera, Rich, etc, is nonsense, but here is a genuinely talented kid who DOES actually want to come home and where we would have a legitimate shot at doing a deal.

Genuinely talented kid who has shown three fifths of fuck all
Sorry, I do respect your judgement but I vehemently disagree. For a 1st year player he has been reasonably impressive. He has certainly shown a lot more than say Gaff (for example,) his game against us was very good and in the games he has played he has actually shown more than Matera.
Sico 17 wrote:and twice been suspended by his own club for not turning up to training.
Bit hard to attend training on the GC, when you’re still in Perth with your family. Ironically, this is exactly what we WANT to see, a talented WA kid seriously disenchanted with his club and genuinely wanting to come home.
Seriously, every year we prattle on for pages and pages of wishful thinking about WA boys we WISH were homesick and wanting a trade back to WA. Then when we finally get a genuine prospect we’re gonna rip shit out of him for not being committed to his existing club???
Sico 17 wrote:Saw him play in the WAFL colts, saw him go missing when it got too hard.
Fair enough, I accede to your knowledge in that area.
(I can’t recall when I last saw a Colts game, although ironically I did spend a day watching against Peel at Rushton park many years ago.) I can only reiterate that I watched him in the U18s and against us, and I liked what I saw.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby ArdentEagle on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 am

Seems like I'm in the minority and with Dazz on this one. I'd love to get him here.

Are the comparisons with Wells such a bad thing. An outside mid with good leg speed, X-Factor and a goal kicker to boot. May never be an elite player but still a very good one...... Yes please. Get him in the right system and he'll flourish, I'd like us to at least try.

Perhaps Masten for Bennell plus an upgraded pick our way. :twisted:
Forever to bleed Blue and Gold

The show must go on
ArdentEagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading