Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Who the hell is Koby?? Sounds like a girl!

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Koby Stevens is leaving

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:59 pm

west coast ego wrote:
Rikki bob wrote:Bulldogs
IN: Stevens + 57
OUT: 21

West Coast
IN: Cripps
OUT: Stevens + 57

St Kilda
IN: 21
OUT: Cripps

Goddam no!! Cripps for Stevens is a straight swap every day of the week. If the Dogs are prepared to pay overs and give up 21(now 22) for Stevens & 57(now 61) I'd be keeping that pick and negotiate seperately with the Saints.

However if you look at the Dogs they have: 5, 6, 22, 44, 50 (committed to L Hunter - f/son), 51 & 71. Surely they won't have use for more than (at the absolute most) 4 picks + Hunter). Pick 61 or some other such sweetener has zero value to them (except to possibly on-trade)

I'd be offering: Stevens, 41 & the bankable pick for Josh Fraser ---> 22 & 44

Dogs get to bank one of the surplus trades they are sitting on this draft into the future and we upgrade from using 41, 61, 62 & 81 to 22, 44, 61 & 62

Dogs have lost 8 senior players and their rookies aren't worth upgrading. Looking at it we won't get much for Stevens.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby west coast ego on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Well I guess 44 or 51 is the likely scenario then and probably doens't really matter to us as we will likely just be handing that straight to the Saints.
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
west coast ego
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Rikki bob wrote:Gumby has re-signed with the bombers...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149976/default.aspx

Bulldogs

West Coast

St Kilda

You lost me. How did we get the Saints #57 to give to the Bulldogs?
Also, Dogs have pick 22, not 21, but why would they give up a 1st round pick for Stevens?

Best we can hope for Stevens is pick 51, or maybe 44 for Stevens + 61.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Rikki bob wrote:Gumby has re-signed with the bombers...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149976/default.aspx

Bulldogs

West Coast

St Kilda

You lost me. How did we get the Saints #57 to give to the Bulldogs?
Also, Dogs have pick 22, not 21, but why would they give up a 1st round pick for Stevens?

Best we can hope for Stevens is pick 51, or maybe 44 for Stevens + 61.

Herp derp, obviously worked on picks prior to compensation.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:35 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 27ygs.html

Stevens, a tough inside midfielder from the Gippsland Power, said the decision to quit West Coast came after a chat with one of his good mates at the Eagles, Mark Nicoski, who felt that Stevens' opportunities were limited.

''I definitely wasn't homesick. I love Perth and I have some good mates there like Mark Nicoski. I took some good advice from him and looked towards next year and thought the opportunities would be pretty scarce again,'' Stevens told The Age yesterday.

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney flew to Perth to meet Stevens and the player said he was impressed with the Bulldogs' direction, although, they had not guaranteed him more senior opportunities.

So he loves Perth, isn't guaranteed more senior opportunities but wants to prove us wrong. Strange decision!

Meanwhile, the Western Bulldogs and West Coast should soon reach a deal for another young midfielder, Koby Stevens, who has expressed his desire to move to the Whitten Oval. The Eagles will request pick 44 for the 21-year-old, but the Bulldogs are only willing to offer 51. This would allow them to use picks 5, 6, 22 and 44 in the national draft, with pick 50 already committed to father-son recruit Lachie Hunter.

The Bulldogs felt short-changed last year after dealing forward Josh Hill to the Eagles for pick 49. Hill was 22 and had played 66 games at the time, compared with the 11 Stevens has compiled since being drafted at No. 22 in the 2009 draft. Hill played 22 games for the Eagles this year, kicking 36 goals in the most productive of his six seasons.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... z29vuGJ8A1
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Ric on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Streaker wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stevens-eyes-dogs-20121020-27ygs.html

Stevens, a tough inside midfielder from the Gippsland Power, said the decision to quit West Coast came after a chat with one of his good mates at the Eagles, Mark Nicoski, who felt that Stevens' opportunities were limited.

''I definitely wasn't homesick. I love Perth and I have some good mates there like Mark Nicoski. I took some good advice from him and looked towards next year and thought the opportunities would be pretty scarce again,'' Stevens told The Age yesterday.

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney flew to Perth to meet Stevens and the player said he was impressed with the Bulldogs' direction, although, they had not guaranteed him more senior opportunities.

So he loves Perth, isn't guaranteed more senior opportunities but wants to prove us wrong. Strange decision!

Wonder if Nico will get his ass kicked :lol:
If smoking is so bad, why does it cure dead fish?
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby west coast ego on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Ric wrote:Wonder if Nico will get his ass kicked :lol:

Probably just wanted to make sure that he would get a spot in the team next year after returning from injury :twisted: :twisted:
west coast ego
Veteran

Postby Ric on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 pm

west coast ego wrote:

Probably just wanted to make sure that he would get a spot in the team next year after returning from injury :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: Yes and if he gets the Woosha glare first day of preseason, he'll know he is in for a rough time. That hammy will be well and truly tested.
If smoking is so bad, why does it cure dead fish?
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MsEagle on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 am

west coast ego wrote:

Wow. Fancy admitting that he is leaving after a team mate tells him his opportunities could be limited. If I was Woosha I'd kick Nicoski's arse from here to .....!
MsEagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby cammania on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:45 am

MsEagle wrote:
west coast ego wrote:

Wow. Fancy admitting that he is leaving after a team mate tells him his opportunities could be limited. If I was Woosha I'd kick Nicoski's arse from here to .....!

It's the same predicament as lynch.
Your a footballer, it's what your paid to do.
And you get told you'll be restricted to a fringe, back up player.

Difference is lynch is at the latter and Koby at the earlier part of their respective careers.
Whilst lynch didn't need to prove his worth, he felt he was worth more than that in terms of game time.
Koby needs to continue to prove himself and was/struggling for time in the big time.
They must be buying him a nice house in point cook.

I don't like to see Stevens go. He's a ready made football body. Like jack darling was. Just a solid bloke. But there are others in front of him unfortunately. And whilst I can't dislike the place he's in (the WCE, mighty club, great lifestyle and pay etc) he has to seek what's best for him when we know deep down he's done best part of f all. In the overall scheme of things.

Which is unfortunate. But it's the way footy works, win some lose some.
cammania
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby west coast ego on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 am

I think I actually sympathise with Koby a lot more.

He has not really had any opportunity yet. Take alook at our midfield and they are all relatively young. Only Embley is likely to leave inside of 4 years. It is not like he is the first midfielder to walk out of a club with a strong midfield and he didn't really owe us much.

Lynch on the other hand has had a long career at a club that stuck by him through some ordinary times (running away from the cops springs to mind) I get that he didn't want to be the backup for the kids and I won't be one that boos him at his new club, but I feel he owed more to the club to stick around than what Koby does.
west coast ego
Veteran

Postby Streaker on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:17 am

west coast ego wrote:I think I actually sympathise with Koby a lot more.

He has not really had any opportunity yet. Take alook at our midfield and they are all relatively young. Only Embley is likely to leave inside of 4 years. It is not like he is the first midfielder to walk out of a club with a strong midfield and he didn't really owe us much.

Both Kerr and Embley will be leaving in the next few years but you have to look at it as being like an apprenticeship. You have to bide your time and opportunities will come. When you consider that at the Bulldogs he will be behind favourite sons in Wallis and Libertore, Boyd, Cross, Higgins, Dalhaus and Cooney, he isn't going to get more opportunity by moving. He stated that he loves it here in Perth so the question remains, why leave. As for not owing us much, we drafted him, we were patient whilst he got over his OP and other injuries, we extended his initial contract by a year pretty early on in his career. He owes us plenty.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby west coast ego on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:01 pm

I don't entirley disagree with you that it should be looked at like an apprenticeship but then you see someone like Gaff come in and go right past the whole process I can see how that would be disheartening. Like I said he isn't the first and won't be the last to leave a club with a strong midfield in place. Prismall is a prime example and look how well he's gone :roll: :roll:

On the dogs Cooney's knee is made of crepe paper and Higgins is pretty much a paper mache man. He'll get more games there than he would here.
west coast ego
Veteran

Postby snert on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 pm

west coast ego wrote:I don't entirley disagree with you that it should be looked at like an apprenticeship but then you see someone like Gaff come in and go right past the whole process I can see how that would be disheartening. Like I said he isn't the first and won't be the last to leave a club with a strong midfield in place. Prismall is a prime example and look how well he's gone :roll: :roll:

On the dogs Cooney's knee is made of crepe paper and Higgins is pretty much a paper mache man. He'll get more games there than he would here.

Its a question of timing and effort. If he chose to stay and continue to work hard and take his chances, he could find his way into our team as a regular. With that comes some success, an opportunity to play finals and perhaps a premiership in the offing. Its hard to see much of that being available at the Bulldogs. The Bullies have made it clear they want to start from the ground up and build using the draft. That will take about 3-4 years to make finals and beyond that for a real crack at a flag. In the meantime they will get smashed regularly and play in front of small crowds.

Koby needs to believe in himself. The club want him to stay and wants him to play, but he hasn't really taken the opportunities. More opportunities will come. If he believed in himself he would not accept second best and, by going to the Bulldogs, he is doing just that. I hoped he would stay, but then Nico has obviously talked him out of that.
snert
EFH Legend

Postby west coast ego on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 pm

I can't disagree with any of that.
west coast ego
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading