Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



Scott Lycett

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby MrWoollie on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Occidental shoreline wrote:We're also chasing Lobb, but he has another season on GWS's books. Not sure of the logic there. Unless we manage to give Sandilands a swan song next year.

?????

This is the WCE site. Sandipants plays for the other mob and is contracted there for 2019.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby DALBY on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:23 am

Wish he was staying. Oh well. Can't keep them all I guess. Best of luck to him.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 am

Can't keep em all but I'm staggered that Lycett is not worth more than 600k a year and that we would not match and better that for a guy that seems to love the club and is likely to become even better in the next few years. There must be more to this story.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby legalis on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Have a look at his stats. Average to below average in every single main stat required of a ruckman. I am staggered he is getting 600k. And there is no way in hell we would pay that for him to keep him. Lobb is actually above average to elite in almost all the same stats and he is expected on be on similar/slightly more cash. I thought he was a lot better than his stats show, but I don't think he is worth the cash. Plus I am pretty sure the go-home factor plays a huge part.
2014 Sponsor of Luke Shuey
legalis
Regular
 
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:58 pm

legalis wrote:Have a look at his stats. Average to below average in every single main stat required of a ruckman. I am staggered he is getting 600k. And there is no way in hell we would pay that for him to keep him. Lobb is actually above average to elite in almost all the same stats and he is expected on be on similar/slightly more cash. I thought he was a lot better than his stats show, but I don't think he is worth the cash. Plus I am pretty sure the go-home factor plays a huge part.

One reason for the below average stats is that we were one of the few clubs playing a two ruck setup. You can of course argue that that is because we didn't have a good enough solo ruck.

And yes, apparently the go home was a big part of it. Evidence to support that supposition is that the Saints were offering significantly more and he knocked them back.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:Can't keep em all but I'm staggered that Lycett is not worth more than 600k a year and that we would not match and better that for a guy that seems to love the club and is likely to become even better in the next few years. There must be more to this story.

The "story" is simple. When a players asks to leave, The Eagles don't stand in their way.
It seems to be a matter of policy

The Eagles have, for whatever reason(s), not identified the need to even rookie draft young ruckmen to develop. Olango is the first in a while. Maybe this is a strategic recognition that (with FA) developing young ruckmen is a mugs game.
They perhaps also recognize that unless you have a Cox or NN, having a good ruck delivers no real advantage.
My point is that they don't appear overly concerned. Perhaps they already have plans in place, or are just confident about be able to plug the gap.

Putting aside that I believe they should match any offer as a matter of course, and in reality they do the opposite. $600k pa is fine, the issue would be the 5 year deal, for a guy with a history of injuries. (And yes, the irony off the NN situation is not lost on me.)
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:28 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
legalis wrote:Have a look at his stats. Average to below average in every single main stat required of a ruckman. I am staggered he is getting 600k. And there is no way in hell we would pay that for him to keep him. Lobb is actually above average to elite in almost all the same stats and he is expected on be on similar/slightly more cash. I thought he was a lot better than his stats show, but I don't think he is worth the cash. Plus I am pretty sure the go-home factor plays a huge part.

One reason for the below average stats is that we were one of the few clubs playing a two ruck setup. You can of course argue that that is because we didn't have a good enough solo ruck.

And yes, apparently the go home was a big part of it. Evidence to support that supposition is that the Saints were offering significantly more and he knocked them back.


Those averages would also included his development years; the years we invested in the future with and now Port will reap the reward. However I don't mind the go home factor so much given he has won a Premiership with us, so investment somewhat repaid. I also understand his family farm is a fair way from Adelaide so probably not so easy to get back too during the season. My speculation CD is that maybe there are greater family reasons for the go home factor that the club know about but not in the media spotlight. Regardless he played a great game last weekend and for that I thank him.

Lobb is a worthy replacement for sure, very like for like IMO, so if we can now get him then cool bananas.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 am

Said on 6PR this morning that there was 'talk' Lycett wanted to reconsider the Port move now however the paperwork had already been submitted so too bad.

Unless the Eagles can match the offer but everyone here seems to think that's unlikely to be affordable.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:45 am

Sport is such a fickle way to try to earn a living. Just look at All-Australian CHB Eric McKenzie, who looked set for a long career as a star KPP with a fat pay packet, and then one random unlucky moment cost him literally million$. So I can't blame players who choose to move if they can get a significantly better deal for themselves.
Love what Lycett brings to the team. Sad to lose him.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Streaker on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am

We can afford Gaff and Kelly: Vozzo
The Eagles say they're "over the moon" to be keeping Andrew Gaff, and football manager Craig Vozzo says they can also fit in Tim Kelly if they can deal with Geelong

"It's not a TPP issue, we planned for a long time to retain Gaff," Vozzo said.

"We had a respectful discussion with Geelong, it’s the early phase of discussion and we'll see what happens form here.

"We felt we had a good diuscsion so we'll see what follows."

SCOTT LYCETT

"We have to make that call [whether to match Port Adelaide's offer] by the middle of the day tomorrow and we need a ruckman so it's something we need to consider.

"I think he's been really happy at our club and he's in a really good space so it won't be the end of the world for him [if he stays]."

RORY LOBB

"Fremantle is his preference but we're not sure if he's heading there, but that's his preference."
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby west coast ego on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:03 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:Said on 6PR this morning that there was 'talk' Lycett wanted to reconsider the Port move now however the paperwork had already been submitted so too bad.

Unless the Eagles can match the offer but everyone here seems to think that's unlikely to be affordable.


What's changed? Gaff? Surely that is a beat up by west coast. I'd be talking to Geelong saying whatever we get for Lycett either from port or from compo is all you're gonna get for Kelly. Let them put some pressure on port too and maybe make it a 3 way trade.
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
User avatar
west coast ego
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 am

Streaker wrote:RORY LOBB
"Fremantle is his preference but we're not sure if he's heading there, but that's his preference."

Why would Fremantle be anyone's preference at the moment? It honestly puts me off the idea of signing him a little bit. What's his actual motivation? Is it a personal challenge to himself to play AFL football under the shittiest management and coaching possible? Kinda like some people want to climb Everest just because it's f***ing difficult?
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:25 am

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:
Streaker wrote:RORY LOBB
"Fremantle is his preference but we're not sure if he's heading there, but that's his preference."

Why would Fremantle be anyone's preference at the moment? It honestly puts me off the idea of signing him a little bit. What's his actual motivation? Is it a personal challenge to himself to play AFL football under the shittiest management and coaching possible? Kinda like some people want to climb Everest just because it's f***ing difficult?


I think it is because he considers himself a forward, Freo havent got quality forwards, but have got ruckmen, so he goes to Freo he will be plonked up forward, goes to West Coast, he is either rucking or playing WAFL coz we got forwards galore.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:51 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:
Streaker wrote:RORY LOBB
"Fremantle is his preference but we're not sure if he's heading there, but that's his preference."

Why would Fremantle be anyone's preference at the moment? It honestly puts me off the idea of signing him a little bit. What's his actual motivation? Is it a personal challenge to himself to play AFL football under the shittiest management and coaching possible? Kinda like some people want to climb Everest just because it's f***ing difficult?


I think it is because he considers himself a forward, Freo havent got quality forwards, but have got ruckmen, so he goes to Freo he will be plonked up forward, goes to West Coast, he is either rucking or playing WAFL coz we got forwards galore.

Yeah, Ok, I guess I can see the appeal in getting paid a lot of money for having to do very little work.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran
 
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:05 pm

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Streaker wrote:
SCOTT LYCETT

"We have to make that call [whether to match Port Adelaide's offer] by the middle of the day tomorrow and we need a ruckman so it's something we need to consider.

"I think he's been really happy at our club and he's in a really good space so it won't be the end of the world for him [if he stays]."


Well I'm excited. I hope we match the offer and he is happy to stay having confirmed his market value in the two towns he'd want to live in. Not having to change ruck set up next year will be a major advantage to our Premiership defence.

AFL free agency 2018: West Coast Eagles consider matching Port Adelaide’s Scott Lycett offer
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-free-a ... b88984254z
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests