11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Scott Lycett

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Scott Lycett

Postby penrith eagle on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Well if this is the case it seems a no brainer to me.....sign him up again
Time to repay the faith Tim Kelly 2021 is it his year ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:38 pm

His manager says Lycett wants to go home.

However, given that we have confirmed that we have the space in our cap to match Port and Lobb has indicated Muppetland is his preference, I say we match the offer.

And why wouldn't Scotty want to stay with his premiership family. Perth is also so close to Adelaide....and a bit more exciting!!!!
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby penrith eagle on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 am

Well Scottie is gone going back to Port :(

We must be after Kelly we get pick 20 for Lycett

I'm a bit sad I think he wouldn't mind staying I was happy if we matched the offer....but the eagles are after Kelly

thanks for your service Lycett....always will remember "up the coasters"

Sinclair and now Lycett gone two quality ruckmen....lets hope we get another quality player

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:25 am

Strategically I am disappointed that the club once again chose not to match a Restricted FA offer.
I am pissed that after all the development we've put into him, and all his professed love of the club, Lycett has chosen to leave.

But Overall I'm not too worried about his actual departure. I didn't want to bag him whilst still an eagle but whilst he help plug a hole and won a flag, I think Vardy offers more.

The other problem is that we're now snookered from taking Roughead as a FA
End of first round is exactly wonderful in the era of an 18 team comp, and compensation picks, but pick 20 is still ok.
that means if we want Roughhead we need to trade for him.

Any chance we could make a trade for English instead?
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby FXD on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

penrith eagle wrote:
thanks for your service Lycett....always will remember "up the coasters"

Ahem..."UP YOU FUCKEN COASTERS! WOOOOO!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DU04A1mxf8

Let me set the scene here. Grand Final, playing Collingwood, we’re down by five goals. I think you [Greg Williams]s know what happened.
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:36 am

penrith eagle wrote:Sinclair and now Lycett gone two quality ruckmen....lets hope we get another quality player

In hindsight, offloading Sinclair to allow us to keep Lycett may have been a mistake.

Though that assumes that Sinclair would have been able to perform at the same level as Lycett in this year's finals.

Still, Lycett is now forever an Eagles premiership player, so will forever be part of the club's history.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:56 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Strategically I am disappointed that the club once again chose not to match a Restricted FA offer.
I am pissed that after all the development we've put into him, and all his professed love of the club, Lycett has chosen to leave.

But Overall I'm not too worried about his actual departure. I didn't want to bag him whilst still an eagle but whilst he help plug a hole and won a flag, I think Vardy offers more.

End of first round is exactly wonderful in the era of an 18 team comp, and compensation picks, but pick 20 is still ok.

Whilst it would be nice to have matched and mde Port trade for Lycett, we wouldn't get anything better from Port than our compensation.

Whilst it does back us into a corner with needing to trade for FA's, matching the offer would have thrown a lot of unknowns into our draft and trade strategies. Now it is a real straight forward situation and we can focus on getting the deals we want done rather than sorting out Lycett then getting our deals done.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby penrith eagle on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I am pissed that after all the development we've put into him, and all his professed love of the club, Lycett has chosen to leave.

I don't think so I reckon he would of been happy to stay ......but the 5 year deal swayed the eagles to let him go

pick 20 is a good return

Also I hope all this speculation about Kelly doesn't hurt us and we pay overs to get him

Now its time to get another ruck....Hickey or Roughead ??? maybe Z.Clarke as a third option with a late pick in the draft as well ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 am

In two of three years time when he is All Australian and the best ruck in the competition the decision to let him walk so easily - if he really was willing to stay - will not be seen as wise by the club. Midfielders are a dime a dozen but good rucks are hard to find, a long time in the making and harder to replace.

And yes I do rate Lycett that highly; given he is only just entering his prime as a ruck in age and games played, plus on his stellar finals performance. Still I wish him all the best personally, but not his new club. (May he now enjoy all the success Ebert has enjoyed since leaving us). I thank him for being a club Premiership player; always a club legend!
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

Mr Q wrote:
penrith eagle wrote:Sinclair and now Lycett gone two quality ruckmen....lets hope we get another quality player

In hindsight, offloading Sinclair to allow us to keep Lycett may have been a mistake.

Though that assumes that Sinclair would have been able to perform at the same level as Lycett in this year's finals.

Still, Lycett is now forever an Eagles premiership player, so will forever be part of the club's history.

Offloading Sinclair became a mistake the instant NN did his knee. But shit happens.
Lets also not forget that without Trading Sinca, we wouldn't have Jetta.
Without Jetta (and his own contribution) there would have been nobody to encourage Ryan after he dropped that mark.
Without that encouragement maybe he doesn't fly and take that mark and pass to Sheed...
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:03 am

Mr Q wrote:

Getting Jetta to the club with the Sinclair deal is now definitely a win. Not only is he now a Premiership player with us - having played an important role - but he seems to have become a really important club man and positive role model. I would not be surprised if he is one reason why Kelly is so determined that it's the Eagles he comes to rather than Freo.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 am

WCE Booka 89 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Strategically I am disappointed that the club once again chose not to match a Restricted FA offer.

Whilst it would be nice to have matched and mde Port trade for Lycett, we wouldn't get anything better from Port than our compensation.

Whilst it does back us into a corner with needing to trade for FA's, matching the offer would have thrown a lot of unknowns into our draft and trade strategies. Now it is a real straight forward situation and we can focus on getting the deals we want done rather than sorting out Lycett then getting our deals done.
I agree that pick 20 is a fair deal for Lycett.
Strategically I think we should be matching these offers and forcing a trade, but in this instance the result is fine.
And you're dead right, it give us something immediate to take back into trade negotiations, and avoids the mess.

The Cats demanded "a top 10 pick" for Kelly. Surprise, surprise, Port has pick 10. So they were expecting us to parcel up and try to get that. Port would have offered #30, maybe #23 if we were lucky, so we would have spent the week arguing.

It does nobble our ability to take Roughead as a FA, but maybe we have other targets.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Mr Q wrote:

In hindsight, I would not change a thing. There ware waaaaay too many variables to be worrying about what-ifs IMO.
Rather satisfied with winning a premiership for the ages.

Fair Bump Play On wrote:Getting Jetta to the club with the Sinclair deal is now definitely a win. Not only is he now a Premiership player with us - having played an important role - but he seems to have become a really important club man and positive role model. I would not be surprised if he is one reason why Kelly is so determined that it's the Eagles he comes to rather than Freo.

I agree. It's clear that Jetta's value to the club extends far beyond his possession tally.

Final thought for this post - we've seen with Cox & Nic Nat how valuable a great ruckman can be to a team. But we've also seen in these finals with Gawn & Grundy that having the best ruckmen in the league isn't always everything it's cracked up to be. And since Nic Nat went down we have also seen what Vardy has been capable of. His half a season has been criminally underrated IMO. If he can stay healthy - and yeah I know that's a huge if - we're already ahead of plenty of other teams in the comp.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Mr Q on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mr Q wrote:

Offloading Sinclair became a mistake the instant NN did his knee. But shit happens.
Lets also not forget that without Trading Sinca, we wouldn't have Jetta.
Without Jetta (and his own contribution) there would have been nobody to encourage Ryan after he dropped that mark.
Without that encouragement maybe he doesn't fly and take that mark and pass to Sheed...

I'll grant that I was only looking at the ruck side of things there - yeah, I think Jetta has ultimately been value for money for Sinkers.

One think I like now is that Vardy will really get his chance - I mean yeah, he's already a premiership player, but now he's promoted into the best 22 by default, at least until NN comes back. I like Vardy's character, and want to see him succeed.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Final thought for this post - we've seen with Cox & Nic Nat how valuable a great ruckman can be to a team. But we've also seen in these finals with Gawn & Grundy that having the best ruckmen in the league isn't always everything it's cracked up to be. And since Nic Nat went down we have also seen what Vardy has been capable of. His half a season has been criminally underrated IMO. If he can stay healthy - and yeah I know that's a huge if - we're already ahead of plenty of other teams in the comp.
I'd disagree with your first sentence.
We've seen how nice it is to have great rucks, and we've seen how both Cox and NN added so much more around the ground.
Remember how chuffed we were in 2012 when both made AA (Is that the only time?) Then remembered how we got rolled like a cheap fag in the SF?

More to the point, remember 94? We didn't have a ruckman, so had to use Turnbull. We still managed to wollop the stuffing out of Geelong, despite him barely touching the ball against Barnesy. Now granted, rucking was different back then , but still (and other teams have proven this as well) unless you have a Cox or NN, who add so much more, having a "good" ruck is not something to spend a lot of capital on.

Personally, I prefer Vardy to Lycett anyway, and we don't have to worry about him pissing off.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading