2013 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:57 pm

i.e. this point you make is wrong, I suspect:

Sico 17 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Sico 17 wrote:What a shock, gone with a Claremont player.
It IS getting beyond a joke...

And I wouldn't mind if we were picking up Naitanuis or Darlings, but it seems those players are chosen on merit, then once they get beyond a certain point, or run out of prefered players, the default is to pick a Claremont player.

Or it could be that the Claremont and Sth Freo colts teams have been dominant for a reason over the last 10 years.....

You can add East Fremantle to that. Good reason for it, they are the three clubs that don't promote colts after the U18 Champs. The other six teams develop the kids by giving the better colts players reserves and league games if the earn it. Perth have done this very well in the last few years.

East Freo, South Freo and Claremont go for the premierships. Souths especially this year as they were gunning for three in a row.[/quote][/quote]

Sorry, stuffed the quotes up there as could only quote 3
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:54 pm

It's like our state based recruiting policy - when all else is equal, pick the local boy.

In this case, when all else is equal, pick the boy from the greatest WAFL club in existence.

Go tiges.
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby twistedkelly on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Its obviously time to redo the WAFL Zones. My guess is that Claremont isn't doing all the developing, More like the private schools in its Zone
twistedkelly
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:
Sico 17 wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:Sico, you were bemoaning the lack of East Perth selections either further back or in another thread, so thought I'd keep it on topic for you.

Where?

Apologies, was CrazyDaz
Nope, I did not bemoan the lack of East Perth selections in THIS draft, rather the Eagles history. In this batch, I rated Shanahan as an outisde chance of a rookie spot (I put him in my ND picks as a roughie but omitted him from my RD picks) and whilst I think Scott Jones shows some promise, at this point we don't need another ruckman.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby twistedkelly on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Plus the fact that EP are scum of course :twisted:
twistedkelly
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:CrazyDaz and Sico: regarding keeping players in the colts team, not sure I agree.

Thirdly, playing 17 year olds against men can sometimes be detrimental to their development. I have no idea if you guys know anything about developing players, but I do. Some should stay in colts until they are ready for seniors as getting smashed physically is not "development".
So you're admitting we take players from Claremont who are YEARS off being ready to play AFL (James Thomson take a bow.)
And that is somehow BETTER that players who have already proven they can play against grown men?

Nobody is suggesting that struggling youngsters be thrown to the wolves for development. What I'm saying is that when you have young players, or even those around 20~21, who have proven thay can excel in WAFL seniors, they should be prefered over kids that are simply exploiting their early maturity against weedy kids in the Colts.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby JYD on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:54 am

snert wrote:He appears to be the type of player we are looking for. It claims his disposal efficiency flaws can be attributed to running a full pace. With additional fitness and astute coaching, I'm sure he will rectify that part of his game. Very pleased with the choice.

He has a pretty awkward kicking style but in his highlights video at least, it looks like it's fairly effective. Hopefully it's something he's worked on since those TAC games, and the other advantage is he looks to and is said to have good decision-making.
JYD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Perrythegreat on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:41 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:CrazyDaz and Sico: regarding keeping players in the colts team, not sure I agree.

Thirdly, playing 17 year olds against men can sometimes be detrimental to their development. I have no idea if you guys know anything about developing players, but I do. Some should stay in colts until they are ready for seniors as getting smashed physically is not "development".
So you're admitting we take players from Claremont who are YEARS off being ready to play AFL (James Thomson take a bow.)
And that is somehow BETTER that players who have already proven they can play against grown men?

Nobody is suggesting that struggling youngsters be thrown to the wolves for development. What I'm saying is that when you have young players, or even those around 20~21, who have proven thay can excel in WAFL seniors, they should be prefered over kids that are simply exploiting their early maturity against weedy kids in the Colts.

No, where did I say that? And depends what you mean by YEARS. Two to three is around usual development for most draftees, bar a few that can do it from day dot.

You stated you liked to see these new guys play against men. Sure, if they are physically mature enough. But if they are not, it can create flaws in their decision making and even how they attack a contest.

This is obvious stuff, right? It feels like I am talking to my 6 year old son
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:Here is one that I would like, unexpected and have always rated, not sure why he fell out of favour this year but coming back home will be just the tonic. Todd Banfield.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-14/l ... d-banfield

Like that he;
- plays footy like a man not a princes
- hard at it and never gives up, great second, third and forth effort
- fast, can play wing and mid if required or even go back
- kicks goals
- former team mate of Nic Nat, from the super Black Duck draft year that included NN, Yarran, Walters

True that his disposal can be a little off at times but much like most post 20 draft picks.

Sure the Lions have committed to picking him up as a rookie but bugger them and pick him up before.
He’s a mediocre (at best) midfielder who eked out a niche playing forward in 2010~11, but the game has passed him by.
We’d be going backwards drastically to delist Dalziell and then draft Banfield.

Well it was interesting to see that the Tigers had the good sense to pull the trigger on this one even if we didn't. Todd Banfield, pick No.11 to Tigers. Looks like they rate him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-28/n ... for-tigers
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:30 pm

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fair Bump Play On wrote:Here is one that I would like, unexpected and have always rated, not sure why he fell out of favour this year but coming back home will be just the tonic. Todd Banfield.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-14/l ... d-banfield

Like that he;
- plays footy like a man not a princes
- hard at it and never gives up, great second, third and forth effort
- fast, can play wing and mid if required or even go back
- kicks goals
- former team mate of Nic Nat, from the super Black Duck draft year that included NN, Yarran, Walters

True that his disposal can be a little off at times but much like most post 20 draft picks.

Sure the Lions have committed to picking him up as a rookie but bugger them and pick him up before.
He’s a mediocre (at best) midfielder who eked out a niche playing forward in 2010~11, but the game has passed him by.
We’d be going backwards drastically to delist Dalziell and then draft Banfield.

Well it was interesting to see that the Tigers had the good sense to pull the trigger on this one even if we didn't. Todd Banfield, pick No.11 to Tigers. Looks like they rate him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-28/n ... for-tigers
So the Tigers valued him more than his own club? Yeah, great move Richmond!
I stand by what I said. It would have made more sense for us to rookie Dalziell, than to pick him up.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:08 am

JYD wrote:
snert wrote:He appears to be the type of player we are looking for. It claims his disposal efficiency flaws can be attributed to running a full pace. With additional fitness and astute coaching, I'm sure he will rectify that part of his game. Very pleased with the choice.

He has a pretty awkward kicking style but in his highlights video at least, it looks like it's fairly effective. Hopefully it's something he's worked on since those TAC games, and the other advantage is he looks to and is said to have good decision-making.

It reminds me a little of Cousins style.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby EasternHills on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:29 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:You can add East Fremantle to that. Good reason for it, they are the three clubs that don't promote colts after the U18 Champs. The other six teams develop the kids by giving the better colts players reserves and league games if the earn it. Perth have done this very well in the last few years.

East Freo, South Freo and Claremont go for the premierships. Souths especially this year as they were gunning for three in a row.

Other clubs promote players and move on non performers on quicker because they're out of finals contention because they lack quality players. In the case of Peel they are a very young side with lots of talented underage talent from early in 2013, while Perth have the oldest Colts squad in the competition and maintained that until a strong underage group from Subiaco kicked them out of the finals. So it's not comparable.

East Perth didn't have any real draft chances outside of Shanahan. Hodgson had a great middle part of the season but fell away late in the season, he was a pretty vanilla player. Chatley was a tweener, lacked the athleticism for a defender of his size. Scott Jones is a dinosaur and wasn't even rated by his team mates, plus Darcy Cameron was a much better prospect and went un-drafted. Keitel should get drafted next year though.
EasternHills
Rookie

Postby Streaker on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:18 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:But if the player picked by Collingwood at 6, or even 10 for that matter, turns out to be a better player than our pick 11 then you will hear the whining for decades to come.
Unfortunately true. Hopefully we will get Sheed or Acres, and most will be happy.
Until the player taken at 6 wins the Rising Star…

And yes Dom Sheed (pick11) turned into a better player than Matt Sharenberg (pick 6)....although Patrick Cripps (pick 13) is another story.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading