Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



2013 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Mephisto on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

I can't find any information about this Will Macginness.

Either that, or my google foo is deserting me.

Anyone have any info?
User avatar
Mephisto
Veteran
 
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby DALBY on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:20 am

Mephisto wrote:I can't find any information about this Will Macginness.

Either that, or my google foo is deserting me.

Anyone have any info?


http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/will-maginnes
Do or do not!
There is no try.
User avatar
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: WAIKIKI

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am

Sico 17 wrote:What a shock, gone with a Claremont player.
It IS getting beyond a joke...

And I wouldn't mind if we were picking up Naitanuis or Darlings, but it seems those players are chosen on merit, then once they get beyond a certain point, or run out of prefered players, the default is to pick a Claremont player.

Still, another potential KPD, probably not a bad option for the rookie list.

Hopefully W-Mac will develop into another genuine midfield prospect.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 am

Sico 17 wrote:You are right, East Perth and the other 7 clubs can only dream of breeding the types of players I listed that WCE drafted from Claremont in just the last five odd years.


OK, notable Claremont draftees in the last 5 years (obviously excluding this years). Here we go:

2012: Jack Martin, Jesse Hogan, Tom Lee, Kane Mitchell
2011: Tom Mitchell, Marley Williams
2010: McGovern
2009: Fyfe, Colyer
2008: De Boer

Let's look at what the great East Perth has generated (notable only):

2012: Kommer
2011: Nobody
2010: Nobody
2009: Duncan, Stratton, Hutchings
2008: Nobody

I've only listed notable players, in my opinion. But please tell me what guns we've missed out on from East Perth that we've missed?
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Sico 17 wrote:What a shock, gone with a Claremont player.
It IS getting beyond a joke...

And I wouldn't mind if we were picking up Naitanuis or Darlings, but it seems those players are chosen on merit, then once they get beyond a certain point, or run out of prefered players, the default is to pick a Claremont player.


Or it could be that the Claremont and Sth Freo colts teams have been dominant for a reason over the last 10 years.....
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:50 am

I was listening until you listed McGovern as a notable selection.

Why list only East Perth? There are other teams.
User avatar
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Plan A Deviant

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Sico 17 wrote:What a shock, gone with a Claremont player.
It IS getting beyond a joke...

And I wouldn't mind if we were picking up Naitanuis or Darlings, but it seems those players are chosen on merit, then once they get beyond a certain point, or run out of prefered players, the default is to pick a Claremont player.


Or it could be that the Claremont and Sth Freo colts teams have been dominant for a reason over the last 10 years.....

You can add East Fremantle to that. Good reason for it, they are the three clubs that don't promote colts after the U18 Champs. The other six teams develop the kids by giving the better colts players reserves and league games if the earn it. Perth have done this very well in the last few years.

East Freo, South Freo and Claremont go for the premierships. Souths especially this year as they were gunning for three in a row.
User avatar
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Plan A Deviant

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Sico 17 wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:It IS getting beyond a joke...

And I wouldn't mind if we were picking up Naitanuis or Darlings, but it seems those players are chosen on merit, then once they get beyond a certain point, or run out of prefered players, the default is to pick a Claremont player.


Or it could be that the Claremont and Sth Freo colts teams have been dominant for a reason over the last 10 years.....

You can add East Fremantle to that. Good reason for it, they are the three clubs that don't promote colts after the U18 Champs. The other six teams develop the kids by giving the better colts players reserves and league games if the earn it. Perth have done this very well in the last few years.

East Freo, South Freo and Claremont go for the premierships. Souths especially this year as they were gunning for three in a row.
Which is an excellent point, becuase I am always more impressed by a potential draftee who is already doing well against grown men. As opposed to simply beating up on the less genetically gifted kids.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Sico 17 wrote:I was listening until you listed McGovern as a notable selection.

Why list only East Perth? There are other teams.


As I said, what I call notable selections. I personally think McGovern will be a very good player.

Sico, you were bemoaning the lack of East Perth selections either further back or in another thread, so thought I'd keep it on topic for you.

CrazyDaz and Sico: regarding keeping players in the colts team, not sure I agree.

Firstly, Barrass was promoted to the ressies late on, then dropped back when the Ressies weren't going to make the finals (which is absolutely fair enough for both him and the respective teams). Out of the colts premiership team, the following played reserves in 2013:

Darcy Cameron, Max Bentley, Jake Anderson, Jordan Law, Jack Beeck, Joel Fiegert, Harrison Court (played league as well), Jared Hardisty, Jyrin Woods, Jack Carruthers, Steven Edwards (league as well), Rowen Powell, Francis Watson and Ben Higgs

That is 15 out of 22. I haven't checked, but I reckon that would be better than almost all other WAFL colts teams.

Secondly, for a 17 year old to break into the Claremont league and even reserve teams, which have also been dominant over the last 4 years, is not easy when compared to "poor" other WAFL set ups. For example, when you look at the quality of players that both this year, and in previous years, have missed out on Claremont League selection, you can see it is harder to get into these teams than other teams, such as East Perth. For example, losing Saunders and Orzel springs to mind the quality of player that sat in reserves waiting for their chance. Murphy waited and eventually got his chance.

Thirdly, playing 17 year olds against men can sometimes be detrimental to their development. I have no idea if you guys know anything about developing players, but I do. Some should stay in colts until they are ready for seniors as getting smashed physically is not "development".
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:00 pm

and fourthly - you might appreciate the boys playing against men, but it appears the recruiters tend to agree that leaving them in colts given them a better chance of being drafted. Which for me, should be the ultimate goal of developing kids at a club.

I haven't met a colt yet that hasn't wanted to play AFL.

Also, just had a look through some of the East Perth colts teams, and could only find Shanahan who had played 4 games of reserves, who am I missing with all these promotions that Claremont, Souths and Easts don't do.

Would be genuinely interested in who has been promoted throughout the year
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:Sico, you were bemoaning the lack of East Perth selections either further back or in another thread, so thought I'd keep it on topic for you.

Where?
User avatar
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Plan A Deviant

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Sico 17 wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:Sico, you were bemoaning the lack of East Perth selections either further back or in another thread, so thought I'd keep it on topic for you.

Where?

Apologies, was CrazyDaz
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Sico 17 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:07 pm

As I HAVE said I another thread East Perth had only 3 or 4 genuine chances this year. Shanahan you picked play a few reserves games including the reserves final. Scott Jones broke his leg in round one and was pushing it uphill for fitness after a long layoff. Tom Hodgson was going to play league after the u18s but injured his calf in the last game and didn't play at all for the rest of the season. At this time last year Beau Chatley was considered a very good chance to be picked up. Started the year in reserves to help with his travel up from Manjimup every week but never came on.

The only other chance was a mature ager in Kyle Anderson. Next year East Perth will be lucky to have 3 or 4 tall defenders from WCE lobbed at the club and Anderson will be better than all of them.

Of these the only ones I thought and ACTUALLY SAID should be looked at were Hodgson and Anderson.

Also considering his first two years on the list were spent with his own club wanting him to play reserves instead of league the only way he is considered a notable selection is if you are his Dad or his under 13s coach.
User avatar
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Plan A Deviant

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Sico 17 wrote:As I HAVE said I another thread East Perth had only 3 or 4 genuine chances this year. Shanahan you picked play a few reserves games including the reserves final. Scott Jones broke his leg in round one and was pushing it uphill for fitness after a long layoff. Tom Hodgson was going to play league after the u18s but injured his calf in the last game and didn't play at all for the rest of the season. At this time last year Beau Chatley was considered a very good chance to be picked up. Started the year in reserves to help with his travel up from Manjimup every week but never came on.

The only other chance was a mature ager in Kyle Anderson. Next year East Perth will be lucky to have 3 or 4 tall defenders from WCE lobbed at the club and Anderson will be better than all of them.

Of these the only ones I thought and ACTUALLY SAID should be looked at were Hodgson and Anderson.

Also considering his first two years on the list were spent with his own club wanting him to play reserves instead of league the only way he is considered a notable selection is if you are his Dad or his under 13s coach.


But you mention Claremont don't get their colts to play up, but 15 of the GF team did during the year. And it appears East Perth do not have the colts playing up the league, compared to the Tigers, no?
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: 2013 Draft

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm

i.e. this point you make is wrong, I suspect:

Sico 17 wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:
Sico 17 wrote:What a shock, gone with a Claremont player.
It IS getting beyond a joke...

And I wouldn't mind if we were picking up Naitanuis or Darlings, but it seems those players are chosen on merit, then once they get beyond a certain point, or run out of prefered players, the default is to pick a Claremont player.


Or it could be that the Claremont and Sth Freo colts teams have been dominant for a reason over the last 10 years.....

You can add East Fremantle to that. Good reason for it, they are the three clubs that don't promote colts after the U18 Champs. The other six teams develop the kids by giving the better colts players reserves and league games if the earn it. Perth have done this very well in the last few years.

East Freo, South Freo and Claremont go for the premierships. Souths especially this year as they were gunning for three in a row.[/quote]
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests