West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Dustin Martin anyone?

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Dustin Martin anyone?

Postby Total Package on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:58 am

I saw it posted by Barra on a twitter a few days agothat Dustin Martin was seen in Perth having coffee with West Coast Eagles officials... I only took half an interest in it until today when I've heard that Dustin Martin has told Richmond he is going to pursue other offers. All of a sudden where there was smoke there might be some fire.

What do we think? Personally I think he is absolutely #1 on our list of players to get. He is exactly what we are needing badly... a quick midfielder who grabs the ball and runs out of packs with it ala Shuey. I'd happily throw $800,000 a year at him to get him here.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: Dustin Martin anyone?

Postby jourgo on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 am

Depends. My first reaction is no thanks - not a team player. That said - if somebody can strap him to a chair and beat that out of him, then yes.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby blue n gold forever on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:11 am

Is EXACTLY what we need insofar as he is a big strong robust mid who can kick goals as well.

Heard this last week after he was spotted having dinner with Nissy, Glassy and Scotty Burns......can't get any bigger guns than that!!

Come west young Dusty, come West!!
2016 Pity the fool
2015 Sponsor of Matt "A Whole Lotta" Rosa...
2014 Sponsor of the Ever Wounded Warrior (sigh!!) - Beau "The Enforcer" Waters....

Made it to the big dance, just couldn't do the boogie! :-((
blue n gold forever
Regular

Location: Sitting in the sunny South West waiting for the 2016 to commence

Postby blue n gold forever on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 am

Agreed TP - throw whatever we can at him!

Is young and potentially a champion for at least the next 8-10 years!
2016 Pity the fool
2014 Sponsor of the Ever Wounded Warrior (sigh!!) - Beau "The Enforcer" Waters....

blue n gold forever
Regular

Postby FXD on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:13 am

Sounds like a classy fellow.

The AFL has issued a $2000 suspended fine to Richmond onballer Dustin Martin for his handcuffs gesture during Sunday's elimination final at the MCG.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-11/m ... ection=vic

If there's any team that can effectively deal with this type of attitude from a gun player it's West Coast. :roll:
Last edited by FXD on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Let me set the scene here. Grand Final, playing Collingwood, we’re down by five goals. I think you [Greg Williams]s know what happened.
FXD
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 am

jourgo wrote:Depends. My first reaction is no thanks - not a team player. That said - if somebody can strap him to a chair and beat that out of him, then yes.

Really? mmm ok.. I didn't notice that in him.

My only issue is his off field stuff... but maybe getting him out of Melbourne and away from his "scaly mates" to steal someone elses term... might be a good thing and part of his reasoning.

I think we have way too many "team" type players.. and what I mean with that is guys who are all too happy to give little handballs around to someone right next to them... rather than take the game on. Masten, Priddis, Selwood... they all give off these little handballs that give me the shits. Only Shuey takes the ball under his arm and tries to take players on. We need Martin badly I think.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MaxyB on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 am

He plays the odd $800k game with a fair bit of ordinary stuff in between. If his expectations are vaguely in line with his ability, we should definitely kick the tyres.

Nothing silly though - 1st rounders and such should not be on the table unless O'Meara, Swallow, Bennell et all want to break contracts.

My question is - "Is he durable or does he need one of those old school wicker wheelchairs and a blanket across his knees, this being the look much favoured by our recruiting team?"
Weathering The Storm
MaxyB
Veteran

Postby jourgo on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 am

Total Package wrote:Really? mmm ok.. I didn't notice that in him.

My only issue is his off field stuff... but maybe getting him out of Melbourne and away from his "scaly mates" to steal someone elses term... might be a good thing and part of his reasoning.

I think we have way too many "team" type players.. and what I mean with that is guys who are all too happy to give little handballs around to someone right next to them... rather than take the game on. Masten, Priddis, Selwood... they all give off these little handballs that give me the shits. Only Shuey takes the ball under his arm and tries to take players on. We need Martin badly I think.

Not talking about his on-field performance - have no problem with that.

Its things like the dispute he's having with the Richmond over the contract they're offering him at the moment that concerns me. If the reports at to be believed, there is something like $50k to $60k difference between what's wanted and what's offered. Martin's camp wont budge. For that amount, when you'd have to think Richmond are offering $500k+, its a concern.
Last edited by jourgo on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby jase87 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 am

Someone get me a phone, pen and fucking paper right now! He's an elite kick, loves a goal and busts lines. Yet to consistently tear a season apart but I am of a firm belief that this will come. This bloke has handled all the attention that comes from being a big 4 Melbourne club high draft pick with aplomb. Schuey, Wellingham and Martin busting lines after being fed by Priddis, Selwood and Natanui? Delivering that ball to Kennedy, Darling and Lecras? That will get any potential coach reason to sign on.
Go the Butler, serving it up in 2013.
jase87
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby blue n gold forever on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:25 am

He's just turned 22.

He takes the game on - as TP said.

He did do the little handuff salute (and there has been no reason given) - funnily enough after kicking a sensational goal (take a look, the way he bamboozled Judas into going the wrong way is gold).

We have VERY good systems in place to deal with the type of stuff that has burnt us in the past and I would say that he would be on a tight leash and have the expectations laid out with no punches pulled. We simply cant afford any more 'bad boy' antics, so that would be right at the top of the list when getting him.

Can be a match winner and in a side like ours would look after the littel fellas like Pridda, Masto and Gaffy.
2016 Pity the fool

blue n gold forever
Regular

Postby jase87 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 am

Richmond are offering 500 and haven't budged for months is what I'm hearing. They want to sign Adams from GWS and got greedy. It was more likely that it would be Conca to get pissed off but it's Martin by the sounds of it. Give him his 6 to 700, front end it over three years then smile.
Go the Butler, serving it up in 2013.
jase87
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Total Package on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am

jourgo wrote:
Total Package wrote:Really? mmm ok.. I didn't notice that in him.

Not talking about his on-field performance - have no problem with that.

Its things like the dispute he's having with the Richmond over the contract they're offering him at the moment that concerns me. If the reports at to be believed, there is something like $50k to $60k difference between what's wanted and what's offered. Martin's camp wont budge. For that amount, when you'd have to think Richmond are offering $500k+, its a concern.

Ok. Makes me think he has been made an offer well above $500,000 for another club then.

It may have started off with $50k and playing hardball... something a lot of agents do.... but maybe that's allowed a few other clubs (hopefully us) to come in and say you know what... we'll give you $800,0000.

All of a sudden that makes it a very big difference... and the attrction of playing in our team with our forward line and roving to Nic Nat might have really got him thinking.

As they say in Poker... don't give a sucker an even break. If you are holding cards of value the last thing you do is get greedy and slow play it and give others a free chance to get lucky on the flop. You may end up finding that it ends up costing you a heap of chips to get out. That's what Richmond had done. They could have paid the $50k and had him signed up 2 months ago.

So whilst Richmond may have thought they were saving themselves $50,000 they are about to find out that to keep Martin and match other offers they may have to dish out an extra $100,000 or $150,000. Clubs can be just as stupid in this case.
Last edited by Total Package on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby blue n gold forever on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:32 am

All of a sudden that makes it a very big difference... and the attrction of playing in our team with our forward line and roving to Nic Nat might have really got him thinking.

An attraction for him.....what a great attraction for ALL OF US !!!
2016 Pity the fool

blue n gold forever
Regular

Postby masTers on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

Do it. I am not sure what sort of deal the Tigers would want but. Clearly our first round + ??

WCE are really missing that kind of arrogance/mongrel circa Cousins era right now.
2012 - For Valerie
masTers
Regular

Postby Total Package on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 am

masTers wrote:Do it. I am not sure what sort of deal the Tigers would want but. Clearly our first round + ??

WCE are really missing that kind of arrogance/mongrel circa Cousins era right now.

You would think it would definitely take a 1st rounder for him... Ideally I would want us to keep our 1st pick. Richmond are going to be badly in need of a ruckman 12 months from now... Scott Lycett will look very attractive to them packed up with a 2nd round pick and maybe another player. Not sure I would want to give up Lycett but for Martin it's worth it.

I'd happily do Lycett, Fringe player + 2nd round pick
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading