West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Dustin Martin anyone?

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Dustin Martin anyone?

Postby west coast ego on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Assuming he has any interest in moving west then if we managed to get him here without giving up our 1st rounder it would be a steal. Our only chance of retaining that pick would be if he nominated us as his sole club of choice, ala Judd.

Personally I doubt he will come. When's the last time a high profile Vic based player, not originally from WA, wanted to come here?
2014 sponsor of Matty "Mark of the Year" Rosa.
west coast ego
Veteran

Postby Eliot Mess on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm

While the Tigers face a salary-cap squeeze, Martin remains one of the planks the Tigers want to build around, but the onballer had wanted about $600,000 a season to remain. The Tigers are offering about $500,000.

Richmond has had a live-in mentor on this guy because he doesn't have basic life skills. He's the son of a bikie and now gets fined for the jailhouse salute. After all Richmond has done for him.

When you hire a mercenary in war, he should be be effective, disciplined and loyal. Because he's going to split as soon as the cash stops. That is the whole deal.

Psychos or high-maintenance individuals are hired by desperate softcocks.

This guy is not disciplined or loyal. He's defective.

At 350K, Conca preferred.
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Interesting. Often wondered what the "issues" were. Certainly a super player of the exact type we need on the field.

Sometimes moving State works well for people looking to reinvent themselves. Will be rather interested to see if the club does show interest in this.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:29 pm

I'd say there is a correlation between the former number 32 and the present number 4 at Richmond.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby nuke_essendon on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Streaker wrote:I'd say there is a correlation between the former number 32 and the present number 4 at Richmond.

Yeah. The 'master' and the 'apprentice'.

Avoid Martin.
nuke_essendon
Veteran

Postby Sico 17 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:35 pm

We are going to give $700K a year and trade Lycett for someone with a huge reputation (as a player) and very little runs on the board?

How many games do you watch and the commentator says at half time "Dustin Martin leads to lift"? That's the Anthony Rocca rule, fail it and you don't warrant your reputation.
Sico 17
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby masTers on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:41 pm

How does a trade work if the player doesn't want to go where he is sent.

For example, Richmond deal him to anyone, regardless of if he wants to go there or not. Does he have to sign with that club? Does he have to agree to the trade?
2012 - For Valerie
masTers
Regular

Postby snert on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Total Package wrote:
masTers wrote:Do it. I am not sure what sort of deal the Tigers would want but. Clearly our first round + ??

WCE are really missing that kind of arrogance/mongrel circa Cousins era right now.

You would think it would definitely take a 1st rounder for him... Ideally I would want us to keep our 1st pick. Richmond are going to be badly in need of a ruckman 12 months from now... Scott Lycett will look very attractive to them packed up with a 2nd round pick and maybe another player. Not sure I would want to give up Lycett but for Martin it's worth it.

I'd happily do Lycett, Fringe player + 2nd round pick

Sure, give them a first round pick and a player, but not Lycett. He is too important to our structure going forward. Throw in Rosa and Dalziell instead. If we are going to offer him a big contract (ie $6-800k) he should be signed for no less than 4 years. The last thing we want is to give up a top young development player for someone who walks out the door after 2 years.
snert
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Melbourne will have first dibs with Pick 2 being offered and a coach like Roos who is known to be capable of turning bad boys into very good players.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby penrith eagle on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Umm Rebels in town coincidence ??

If he wants a change and Rosa wants to go home.. win win
Time to repay the faith Tim Kelly 2021 is it his year ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Staker and a third round pick?

(Oh, I guess he's going to the Lions then....)
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby sydney eagle on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Our first round pick and a player such as Lycett or Rosa would be what the Tigers expect or hope to get for Martin. I don't know whether the Eagles would go that high, remembering that the AFL is likely to come down on the club hard if we have any more off field problems. From reports Martin has a history of " off field problems" so it is difficult to say whether it is worth it from the Eagles' point of view to pursue Martin.
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby blue n gold forever on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Having a bit of a read around a few articles and things written about him it seems like:
# His dad (Shane) is a Maori/part Maori who has a transport company in Sydney. Is referred to as a 'biker' and referrence to him "liking Harleys".
# Dustin left school and went and worked for dad as a youngster.
# Dustin lives with the Richomnd Pres and his family.
# According to his Dustin has grown up considerably recently, but has experienced issues with day-to-day stuff like paying phone bills on time and getting/paying parking fines.
# Most of his issues have been in the past and he is growing up and doing ok
# The tatts on his neck are Maori references to his 'people' and where they lived

I agree he has some issues and maybe he is a risk, but as a footballer he is worth the risk as long as we :
# Do the right deal
# Get the shackles - not handcuffs, but strategies - around him with the right people. Peter Staples is the Ethics and Integrity Manager and he will be all over it like a you know what at a Scout convention.
2016 Pity the fool
2015 Sponsor of Matt "A Whole Lotta" Rosa...
2014 Sponsor of the Ever Wounded Warrior (sigh!!) - Beau "The Enforcer" Waters....

Made it to the big dance, just couldn't do the boogie! :-((
blue n gold forever
Regular

Location: Sitting in the sunny South West waiting for the 2016 to commence

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 pm

I guarantee he is going to GWS. Buddy to stay at Hawthorn.
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby loserboy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 am

Looking at it from another angle, all these people are saying that hes not worth it if he just flakes out on us and decides to leave after his contract is done, but doesnt that mean that we have a very good player who wants to go home so we will should get a good deal for it? this of course only works if we get him 'cheap' ie rosa and a 2nd round pick. then if he wants to go back to VIc there are 8 clubs there that will be fighting for him meaning we could get a high first round pick. i know we potentially got screwed by Judd but we still got a no 3 pick and 20 plus kennedy out of it. im not saying we will get the same deal as martin isnt as good as Judd was but he has the potential to be pretty good especially if we get him now (22 yo) he will be in his prime if he wants to leave after our initial contract (24-26 yo).
loserboy
Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading