West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Elliot Yeo

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Elliot Yeo

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:I am guessing the whole hold up on the deal was us saying 31 and Brissy saying 28. In the end, I reckon we caved and said for 3 picks that late, it is not worth getting upset about. Let’s get the gun in and be done with it,
Indeed
Let me reiterate, from the day Yeo said “I want to come home” this was a GOOD THING for the Eagles. He has shown himself to be a very promising player and will be a wonderful addition to the team.
If you could GUARANTEE getting a player this good with pick 28, you’d be extremely happy.

The whole “let’s trade for a pick to get Yeo , but then not use it” thing IS weird, but at the end of the day we had to beat 37, and we had only 31 & 28 to do it. As a FAN, it would have been fun to see WCE say “take pick 31 and give us back a sweetener or we’ll ask him to nominate for the PSD,” but in the real world I can understand them thinking that pick 28 is only marginally better than 31 so who cares.
Who knows, they may even have extracted a handshake to not take a certain player we were interested in.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mephisto on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:06 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Let me reiterate, from the day Yeo said “I want to come home” this was a GOOD THING for the Eagles. He has shown himself to be a very promising player and will be a wonderful addition to the team.
If you could GUARANTEE getting a player this good with pick 28, you’d be extremely happy.

This is laughable from someone who said "Based on the conniptions the club has performed to get him, anything less than next year’s B&F is unacceptable."
Mephisto
Veteran

Postby snert on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:12 am

Perrythegreat wrote:I am guessing the whole hold up on the deal was us saying 31 and Brissy saying 28. In the end, I reckon we caved and said for 3 picks that late, it is not worth getting upset about. Lets get the gun in and be done with it, we still have picks in the first 3 rounds and we obviously have our eyes on 4 - 5 top 10 picks, one which will slide to 11, you would bet.

I think Brisbane held up all offers while they worked out all the connotations of the trades. The fact that the trading of Longer, Docherty, Karnezis and Yeo were all completed in the last couple of days of the trade period despite offers on the table well in advance of that.
snert
EFH Legend

Postby Eliot Mess on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:48 pm

God, we're bored.
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Meth-head wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Let me reiterate, from the day Yeo said “I want to come home” this was a GOOD THING for the Eagles. He has shown himself to be a very promising player and will be a wonderful addition to the team.

This is laughable from someone who said "Based on the conniptions the club has performed to get him, anything less than next year’s B&F is unacceptable."
I'd be tempted to rebut this, except even your insults make no sense.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Total Package on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Meth-head wrote:

I'd be tempted to rebut this, except even your insults make no sense.

Insults? He stated a fact. That is exactly what you said. You stated that if Yeo does not win a B&F next year it is unacceptable..... and your reasoning for this? because you are butthurt that the Eagles rated him and gave up a few spots in the draft order.

What he has done to deserve that ridiculous demand from you.... I will never know.... but then again I am pretty sure you used to abuse Masten as well for no other reason than because he was a #3 pick and he wasn't playing like Judd did as the #3 pick. Again... all his fault because he was picked at #3... a decision he had absolutely no say in.
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:07 am

Total Package wrote:Insults? He stated a fact. That is exactly what you said. You stated that if Yeo does not win a B&F next year it is unacceptable..... and your reasoning for this? because you are butthurt that the Eagles rated him and gave up a few spots in the draft order.

What he has done to deserve that ridiculous demand from you.... I will never know.... but then again I am pretty sure you used to abuse Masten as well for no other reason than because he was a #3 pick and he wasn't playing like Judd did as the #3 pick. Again... all his fault because he was picked at #3... a decision he had absolutely no say in.
Yes, far be it for me to expect posters to not be total morons and to have some semblance of English comprehension, including the ability to understand context.

In this case I have reiterated my previous comments that Yeo coming to the Eagles was always going to be a good thing,
And Metho has chosen (for some unknown reason) to attack me by misquoting a comment I made regarding the hypocrisy of some posters. (ie not even directly related to Yeo.)

As I said, makes no sense.

I really don’t understand why people think it is so “clever” to misquote isolated sentences and say “see, look, look what you writed”??? I mean if somebody is REALLY interested in what I did say about Yeo, they can simply go back and read it.
And it really must take some form of mental disorder to proceed on from that and start ranting self-righteously in reply to your own misquote. It’s really WEIRD, because I'm pretty sure I say enough contentious things for people to rant against, without the need to make shit up?

Since you seem to think that people interested in my views on Yeo, and yet can’t be bothered reading them, I will reiterate them here.
You will note that I am paraphrasing, because I can’t be arsed finding the exact quotes, but you’re welcome to check.

1. From the outset, I have never had a problem with Yeo, although in the early days I did focus on the trade rather than the player.
2. I said that I didn’t expect him to be best 22 (in a fully fit team) and expected him to be competing for a place with the likes of Smith & Brennan.
3. I equated him (trade wise) to someone like Koby Stevens, and I thought offering a pick in the early 40’s was fair in the circumstances.
4. I have reiterated the point, throughout this saga, that I thought the trade conditions were favourable to WCE for once, and hence why we should be able to get away with a 3rd round pick.
5. At no point did I consider what Yeo might be “worth” on the “open market,” I simply reiterated point 4.
6. Somewhere along the line I made the comment that I personally had NO great expectations of him early, because he still need a couple of years' development.
7. I criticised as hypocritical those who seemed to think he was a gun and that we should pay any price, then backed off AFTER the deal was done.
8. In furtherance of point 7, I made the allusion that the extreme measures undertaken by the Eagles created an aura of high expectations around Yeo.
9. In response to confusion surrounding the allusion in point 8, I clarified that I had modest expectations of Yeo in his first year. I specifically stated that in the (hypothetical) event of few injuries I would expect him to play only a handful of games, but if injuries approached 2013 levels I would expect him to play every game.
10. I have discussed the Collingwood deal ad nauseam elsewhere, and I maintain that it was effectively independent of the Yeo trade.
11. Since the trade apparently finally came down to a “fight” over pick 31 or pick 28, I don’t think there is any substantial difference between the two.
12. I don’t know if Freo being able to get Gumby for their 3rd round effectively scuppered WCE. As a FAN, I would like to have seen us “Stick it” to another team, but Freo offering #37 effectively deprived us of that opportunity. Whilst I bemoan that lost opportunity, I do not bemoan getting Yeo.

As to why you would proceed on with some shite about Masten, God only knows. Suffice to say that you’re full of shit.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby snert on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:04 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I really don’t understand why people think it is so “clever” to misquote isolated sentences and say “see, look, look what you writed”???

I don't understand it either, but there is plenty of it happening (see below for instance)

Crazy Dazz wrote:7. I criticised as hypocritical those who seemed to think he was a gun and that we should pay any price...

I wonder who it was that inferred that we 'should pay any price.' This appears to be an example of an isolated sentence being misquoted. Perhaps you could shed some light on this?
snert
EFH Legend

Postby Mephisto on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:23 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I'd be tempted to rebut this, except even your insults make no sense.

If you choose to be insulted by a repeat (word for word) of what you said, then that's your perogative.

I had and have no intention of insulting you. I literally laughed.

Crazy Dazz wrote: far be it for me to expect posters to not be total morons and to have some semblance of English comprehension,

What's this? An insult?!!! :roll:

Crazy Dazz wrote:misquote isolated sentences

I don't think misquote means what you think it means. What was that you said about English comprehension again?

Crazy Dazz wrote:And Metho has chosen (for some unknown reason) to attack me by misquoting a comment I made regarding the hypocrisy of some posters

I didn't misquote you. I didn't attack you. Or perhaps my opinion of an "attack" is a little more reasonable than yours. We all know, for example, that you consider yourself above criticism and are never wrong! :)

Also, don't you ever get tired of those childish monikers you make up? Now I'm Metho? :roll:

Juddas, Carltank, Metho... Good grief.

Chill out mate. If it makes you feel any better, we'll all sit around and sing kumbya and praise your infallibility. It wouldn't do for your feelings to be hurt!
Mephisto
Veteran

Postby penrith eagle on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 am

Calm down ppls there are valid arguments from all sides

We just have to wait for the draft to see if we have made the right choice... it is a lottery lets see if we can come up trumps
Time to repay the faith Tim Kelly 2021 is it his year ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:27 am

Aaaarrrrrrgghh.. Lockety lock coming up if people don't cool off.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mephisto on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 am

Mr Q wrote:Aaaarrrrrrgghh.. Lockety lock coming up if people don't cool off.

I am calm and cool. I was trying to make light of the situation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'll shut up now.
Mephisto
Veteran

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Mephisto wrote:I am calm and cool. I was trying to make light of the situation. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'll shut up now.

I've been there mate. I understand completely. :)
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:28 pm

penrith eagle wrote:Calm down ppls there are valid arguments from all sides

We just have to wait for the draft to see if we have made the right choice... it is a lottery lets see if we can come up trumps

Agreed. In this life we always come across people with a differing opinion to our own and we grow as human beings when we make the effort to understand one anothers context. Everyone's opinion is valuable! Likewise people make mistakes. I shudder to think where I would be in life if it weren't for the understanding and support given to me those around me, after some of my mistakes. Its the lessons I learnt after making a mistake that I gained the most from, and it was the wise and measured council of people who supported me through those experience that I respect the most.

Thats said its time we gave Vozzo the arse, blokes a nuppity.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:42 pm

The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading