West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Ruck Prospects

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Ruck Prospects

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:51 pm

I remember several years back, I made a comment about finding the "next Cox" and copped a few sarcastic responses about them "growing on trees,"
then along came NicNat :lol:

Whilst I'd love to think that there will be another stereotype-busting player come along at just the right time, how many times can we strike it lucky??
So rather than hope for that, I'm talking about a genuine, team-leading, no1 ruckman. And whilst still not growing on trees, there have been plenty of those.

Thing is, if you look at recent examples, Goldy, Jacobs, Sandi, Maric, Minson, they don't start to hit their straps until their mid to late 20's.
And what that says is that our next #1 ruckman should be already on our list, or close to it, and around 20 years old.

Much as I love the guy, I just don't think Sinca is it. As I've said many times, I believe he's the perfect backup for NN, and he's improving every game (only 28 so far) and I could see him partnering NN for the next 5~6 years. And as he improves, I think he could easily become good enough to be a #1 if NN was injured. But he's actually a year older, so there's no succession plan there.

So what about Lycett? I see two or three problems:
Firstly, he's only 2 years younger, and with the difference in ability I don't forsee him filling the role much past NN.
Secondly, you don't just suddenly hit the right age and become an AFL ruckman, and you certainly don't develop at WAFL level. He's only played 28 games, and over the next 5 years he needs to play another 100, and that's just not going to happen whilst Sinca is around.
Lastly, if he doesn't get the opportunity here, and remember he's a FA in another 3 years, he'll leave.

McInnes is another possibility, he's quite mobile, but not sure he's quite tall enough for the #1 role.

For mine, irrespective of what happens with Sinca and Lycett, I think the Eagles need to start looking at the future.

Once option is picking up a local lad on the Rookie List. Somebody like Darcy Gardiner. He's the right age, he was a WA academy player so he's got some skills, he's a big lad at 204cm, we could take him with our last rookie pick, and give him 3 years on the rookie list to show some promise.

Another "local" option would be one of those Sudnaese lads, somebody like a young Majok Majok. Help them realise they're not going to make it to the NBA, sign them as a category B rookie, spend a few years teaching them the game.

Another option I'd like to see the Eagles investigate is an overseas player, either as a cat B, or via the elite alternate talent pathway.
As a general rule, I'm not a fan of this concept. Falau and Harmichael Kunt were epic failures.
But, I reckon if you got a BIG athletic African (or African-American) Center, and invested a few years teaching them the game, they could make a decent ruckman. There are some big talented dudes, who just will never make the NBA, and the secondary leagues barely qualify as semi-pro. Australia is a not unpopular destination, and the AFL can pay a LOT better then the NBL. The trick though, would be to get someone young enough, convince them to forsake their NA dream, finish their degree in Perth, and have enough time to learn the game and develop.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: The Next Naitanui ??

Postby Bigbav on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:28 pm

Negat on the Sudanese. Jason Holmes backs up that argument perfectly. Agile, athletic but foreign to AFL. Plus he speaks English.

Callum Sinclair has this problem of over exciting himself. He finds position brilliantly, however often clunks the situation. Jack Darling still does it, and he's played 5 times the games.

Sinclair, Naitanui and McInnes. 8+ years in those guys, assuming Lycett seeks a trade.
1987 Sponsor of Laurie Keene
Bigbav
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:32 am

Bigbav wrote:Negat on the Sudanese. Jason Holmes backs up that argument perfectly. Agile, athletic but foreign to AFL. Plus he speaks English

Holmes will be an interesting one to watch. The problem though with your typical US player, is that we're waiting for them to finish college. Holmes has spent two years in the system, and realistically needed more before débuting, but he is already almost 26. Ideally you want to get somebody much younger, so they can firstly learn the game, then work their way up through the WAFL.
Bigbav wrote:Sinclair, Naitanui and McInnes. 8+ years in those guys, assuming Lycett seeks a trade.

In 8 years Sinca would be 34, doubt he'll still be around.
But yeah, its not what you'd call a desperate rush :lol:
In fact, if there is a "Next Naintanui" we'd have another 5 years to find him, but I'm assuming our incredible luck will run out, and we'll need to develop somebody like a regular club.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Bigbird wrote:
Streaker wrote:Can McGovern be used as 2nd Ruck? Sinclair has been the preferred option as backup because he can play forward. Lycett is the better ruckman but would need to play more off the bench. If McGovern on the other hand can ruck and play forward or back this makes one ruckman redundant. I'd keep Lycett as he could ruck if Naitanui went down whereas Sinclair wouldn't be as dominant. Pick up a developing ruck in the rookie list.

If we can get good value for Sinkers it may be worth considering moving him on. I'm happy to keep him though.

If Lycett can find his groove, his upside is worth having in the team. We get the opportunity to manage NN better throughout the year and won't be exposed as much around the contest when NN is off - given the quality of Lycett's tap work. He did show enough in 2014 to demonstrate he can be mobile and kick goals. Plus he has only just turned 23. No reason why we couldn't do a straight swap for Sinkers/Lycett next year.

I've always rated Lycett over Sinclair. Lycett had a bad start to the year and was dropped then was plagued by injuries for the rest.

Sinclair has already stated he doesn't want to go anywhere.

I can't see us giving either of them up.

Tony Evans Rules wrote:We've also got the option of McInnes as a back-up ruck/forward.

Good point.

ASSUMING we keep McInnes, then yes he's another back-up. I don't like the idea of McGovern full time as a 2nd ruck, but yes he could do it occasionally. We need to keep developing Sinca, which is fine because he'll play most games. Problem then is that Lycett is waiting for injury to get AFL games, without which he's going to stagnate. And its an "all or nothing" kind deal. If Naitanui or Sinca cops an LTI, then Lycett plays every game, otherwise he might get a handful through the season.
IF Sydney or Brissy are prepared to offer real value for Lycett, and he WANTS the AFL games, then I'd be tempted.
Then look at rookie drafting someone.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Total Package on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:I remember several years back, I made a comment about finding the "next Cox" and copped a few sarcastic responses about them "growing on trees,"

I think Nic Nat and Cox is about as far apart as a comparison as you could get.

Nic Nat is better in the middle where Cox used to squib out of bounce contests.
Cox is better around the ground ruckmen where Nic Nat isn't
Cox can run all day and mark and Nic Nat can barely run to the corner shops without losing breath.
Nic Nat has speed off the mark where Cox had endurance.

Apart from that you were right they are identical :lol:
Total Package
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Total Package wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:I remember several years back, I made a comment about finding the "next Cox" and copped a few sarcastic responses about them "growing on trees,"

Apart from that you were right they are identical :lol:

The point I was making both times was "finding our next #1 ruckman" rather than finding a clone.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Eliot Mess on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:35 am

Doesn't that tell you something about the thread name you went with?
Eliot Mess
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby lazzas on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:02 am

[url] http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/sud ... ine-record[url]

We found him!
RUCKMAN Gach Nyuon has equalled a benchmark set by West Coast star Nic Naitanui, matching his absolute running vertical jumping record on day three of this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Nyuon, named ruck in this year's under-18 All Australian team, jumped 94cm in the relative running vertical jump, which was behind midfielder Lachlan Tiziani (97cm) as the best at the combine.

But his leap matched Naitanui's absolute jumping record of 362cm.
lazzas
Regular

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Another "local" option would be one of those Sudnaese lads, somebody like a young Majok Majok. Help them realise they're not going to make it to the NBA, sign them as a category B rookie, spend a few years teaching them the game.

lazzas wrote:http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/sudaneseborn-ruckman-equals-nic-nat-combine-record

We found him!
RUCKMAN Gach Nyuon has equalled a benchmark set by West Coast star Nic Naitanui, matching his absolute running vertical jumping record on day three of this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Nyuon, named ruck in this year's under-18 All Australian team, jumped 94cm in the relative running vertical jump, which was behind midfielder Lachlan Tiziani (97cm) as the best at the combine.

But his leap matched Naitanui's absolute jumping record of 362cm.

Impressive
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: Our next Ruckman??

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:53 pm

NicNat and Lycett will be the dynamic duo for next year onwards.
McGovern can ruck, if one of those is injured during the game.
McInnes can also come in as a backup if they miss a game.

Still, time to rookie list as least one more big guy.

I STILL like the look of Darcy Cameron:
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4672
Big lad, dominated at reserves level, and forced his way into the Claremont League team. (Competing with Andrews & Seaby)
A way to go before he's AFL quality, but he's only 20, so plenty of upside for a big fella.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Yep, I'd grab someone and put them on the rookie list. Few years to develop. Cameron looks like a good option.

Pretty much what we did with Sinclair.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby lazzas on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:NicNat and Lycett will be the dynamic duo for next year onwards.
McGovern can ruck, if one of those is injured during the game.
McInnes can also come in as a backup if they miss a game.

Still, time to rookie list as least one more big guy.

I STILL like the look of Darcy Cameron:
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4672
Big lad, dominated at reserves level, and forced his way into the Claremont League team. (Competing with Andrews & Seaby)
A way to go before he's AFL quality, but he's only 20, so plenty of upside for a big fella.

Hopefully a friend of McGovern's
lazzas
Regular

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Pinion King wrote:Yep, I'd grab someone and put them on the rookie list. Few years to develop. Cameron looks like a good option.

We have a pretty good history of doing this. Cameron or one of the Sudanese athletes who did well at the combine. Cox as a mentor, NN as a hero and role model. Try them out for a couple of years as rookies and could end up with a gem.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:34 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Yep, I'd grab someone and put them on the rookie list. Few years to develop. Cameron looks like a good option.

We have a pretty good history of doing this. Cameron or one of the Sudanese athletes who did well at the combine. Cox as a mentor, NN as a hero and role model. Try them out for a couple of years as rookies and could end up with a gem.

I think it was Travis King on twitter that said the same thing, we are very good at finding and developing young ruckman.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:41 pm

Streaker wrote:
Sinclair's departure is likely to grant delisted Port Adelaide big man Mason Shaw an opening on the Eagles' rookie list.

Shaw has been plagued by injuries, including OP. You'd reckon, as a KPF prospect and a South Freo product, if he were any good Freo would be all over him like flies on a turd. But he managed only 4 goals from 9 games in the SNAFL this year.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading