West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Ruck Prospects

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Ruck Prospects

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:47 pm

Frankie wrote:I've been hearing a lot of noise that we could take English with our draft first pick. I'm not in favour of that idea - taking a ruckman with the first pick seems like too much of a risk, as they tend to require a lot more development and there seems to be a lot more uncertainty over what their upside is.

However, there is also a part of me that's thinking: he's been compared to Cox, but he's far higher rated than Cox was at that age, so he could turn out to be something very special. So maybe, high risk, very high reward!

Comparing anyone to Cox at a young age is always going to put up positive reviews. Cox was extremely raw and looked like he wouldn't make it. He was one guy who developed incredibly well, I wouldn't use him as a way to measure young ruckmen.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:21 pm

Frankie wrote:I've been hearing a lot of noise that we could take English with our draft first pick. I'm not in favour of that idea - taking a ruckman with the first pick seems like too much of a risk, as they tend to require a lot more development and there seems to be a lot more uncertainty over what their upside is.

However, there is also a part of me that's thinking: he's been compared to Cox, but he's far higher rated than Cox was at that age, so he could turn out to be something very special. So maybe, high risk, very high reward!

It wouldn't shock me, I had him in my picks for exactly that reason.
http://eaglesflyinghigh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16850
Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't be a total shock.

I agree that taking a ruck that early is probably a waste. They take years to develop, and then before you know it they are free-agents.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby farmer joe on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:

I agree that taking a ruck that early is probably a waste. They take years to develop, and then before you know it they are free-agents.

NN?
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:42 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

NN?

Well that's the question isn't it, and why the Eagles might be interested.
Is English just a reasonably talented big kid, who benefits form being a year older? Or is he really that special, "a ruckman who plays like a midfielder"?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby farmer joe on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:58 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Well that's the question isn't it, and why the Eagles might be interested.
Is English just a reasonably talented big kid, who benefits form being a year older? Or is he really that special, "a ruckman who plays like a midfielder"?

I guess the question is how important you view ruckmen in the modern game. I would always take an elite level midfielder over NN. 2017 is going to test that theory. At the end of it we should be able to look back and say whether the great mid or ruckman was what would have served us better.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:05 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Well that's the question isn't it, and why the Eagles might be interested.

I guess the question is how important you view ruckmen in the modern game. I would always take an elite level midfielder over NN. 2017 is going to test that theory. At the end of it we should be able to look back and say whether the great mid or ruckman was what would have served us better.

I think teams have proven that an excellent ruckman is only marginally better than a mediocre one, and that for a 2nd ruck you're better off with a talented forward who can also ruck, rather than vice versa.
Where it gets tricky, is with guys like Cox and NN, guys who in different ways each added so much more.
At his absolute best (which sadly we have not seen enough of due to injuries) I would take NN over just about anyone except the truly elite mids like Ablett.
If English truly is a 2m tall midfielder, great, although I'd then expect him to go much earlier. If he's just a great ruckman, then pass, we need mids.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Hmm...

Darcy Cameron went to the Swine at pick #48.
Sean Darcy, another young ruck we had apparently spoken to, went to Freo at #38.

Considering that, I'm a bit pissed that we didn't draft Goddard. We had a spare spot on our main list, and some pundits had actually tipped Goddard to go around the 3rd round. Be interesting to see if he lasts to our 1st pick in the RD. (If we have any sense, we'll take him in the PSD.)

I really, REALLY hope this doesn't mean we have our sights set on Petrie.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Hmm...

Darcy Cameron went to the Swine at pick #48.
Sean Darcy, another young ruck we had apparently spoken to, went to Freo at #38.

Considering that, I'm a bit pissed that we didn't draft Goddard. We had a spare spot on our main list, and some pundits had actually tipped Goddard to go around the 3rd round. Be interesting to see if he lasts to our 1st pick in the RD. (If we have any sense, we'll take him in the PSD.)

Totally with you on this.

One to develop, who even as a real startup roughie, who would be better than Petrie.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:20 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:

I think that is exactly what it means
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

Looking at some of the talent that was overlooked in the draft, I will be Royally pissed if we waste a spot on Petrie.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:06 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

Looking at some of the talent that was overlooked in the draft, I will be Royally pissed if we waste a spot on Petrie.

Still looks as though Petries on our radar. Can't believe we'd overlook a developing prospect for a quick non-fix but I guess that's what mates are for.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:31 pm

Streaker wrote:Still looks as though Petries on our radar. Can't believe we'd overlook a developing prospect for a quick non-fix but I guess that's what mates are for.

Do you think there's a chance we might pick up Goddard?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Sigh.

It looks like we are set to give McInnes another year. It will be his 8th, and for somebody that has never looked AFL level, that is a damning indictment on our list management.
Since we picked up Sinclair in 2013, we have steadfastly refused to develop another young ruckman. All the while clogging up our list with spuds.
I just don't get it.
we wasted a list spot on Giles, that could have been used for a younger prospect.
We took Petrie on, same~same. Now, Petrie played a role for us, and TBH, for a 34 yr old he did ok. But in a year that seemed to be a holding patern, I'm not sure it was the best call. And still with his retirement, we again failed to go after a young ruck.

Now don't get me wrong, I am chuffed to bits with Tom Hickey. I think he has plenty of upside, and is poised to become a really useful player. He's only 27 and should be good for another 3~4 years at least.

But again, we're going to keep McInnes "because we need a 3rd ruck option." And the rub of it is, I agree. Unless we waste a good draft pick, we're not going to get anybody who would be close to stepping up if needed. Which is why we should have started years ago. At the very least, the moment we traded Sinca we should have started lining up a youngish replacement.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby sydney eagle on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:19 am

Once upon a time (well actually twice) we were prepared to take young ruckmen early in the draft (Gardiner and Natanui). If there is a ruck with anything like the potential of either of those two available at our first pick, and we think that we NEED a young ruckman, then maybe we should take him .
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:47 am

Problem is Scott Lycett.

Well actually another part is we always have great ruckmen at our club, so when we get these young ruckmen they are allowed to learn the game from the best, they are allowed to properly develop, they get talked up as the next great ruckman, but because they are second or third in line they get no opportunity. And with Free agency, the door opens right when we would plan to have them taking the reigns and after 7 years of investment we end up with a draft pick outside of the top 20 and a few games and think, well why bother.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading