West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Ruck Prospects

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Ruck Prospects

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Pinion King wrote:With Olango gone. There must be a young ruckman in the draft that we have to pick up and start developing.
Not sure what happened in the end, he was supposed to be facing court last month.

Are there any delisted players who might be on our radar?
Otherwise yes, better hope there's somebody in the Rookie Draft or late in the ND.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:Problem is Scott Lycett.

Well actually another part is we always have great ruckmen at our club, so when we get these young ruckmen they are allowed to learn the game from the best, they are allowed to properly develop, they get talked up as the next great ruckman, but because they are second or third in line they get no opportunity. And with Free agency, the door opens right when we would plan to have them taking the reigns and after 7 years of investment we end up with a draft pick outside of the top 20 and a few games and think, well why bother.

Well I guess we can do this as well. I'd be watching Cameron from Sydney and England from Bulldogs. They've looked handy
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:Definitely think we will be in for a ruck somewhere, rookie or main list. From WAFL, Higgins and Clarke look the best bets. Eastland was pretty handy, but again, just 5cms too short. Higgins is apparently 191cm, surely that isnt right??
If you go to the Tigers games, have you seen anything of Goddard in the Magoos?
He is certainly still the standout in that class, but I wonder why he hasn't progressed to the seniors?

Unlike previous years, there were no genuine ruck candidates at the State Combine. Eastland is far too small for AFL.
So we may need to look further afield. For whatever reason, there seems to be a dearth of quality young talls this year.

If only Claremont hadn't stuffed up the Tim England recruitment.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 am

Strnadica was delisted this week. He apparently really stepped up in the second half of 2018 and showed he could be a player. Freo have a truckload Of rucks so strnadica had to go. Worth a late or rookie pick?

Zac Clarke is also mentioned as having interest from a few clubs. My gut feel is pass on him, but is he a player we are looking at?

We certainly need another ruck on our list.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 am

Fat Side wrote:Strnadica was delisted this week. He apparently really stepped up in the second half of 2018 and showed he could be a player. Freo have a truckload Of rucks so strnadica had to go. Worth a late or rookie pick?

Zac Clarke is also mentioned as having interest from a few clubs. My gut feel is pass on him, but is he a player we are looking at?

Much as I hate the idea of rifling through Freo's castoffs, they have gone nuts in recent years, drafting Strnadica, Scott Jones, Sean Darcy, and Lloyd Meek.
It's hard to judge Strnadica's performance, because even at Peel he was 4th string. And I guess if Freo had such a troupe, and he's the one they decided to discard, it's not much of an endorsement.
It's where I wish we had a bit more stability around our Ruck Coaching, cos hopefully they'd be able to assess and maybe pick up a diamond out of the rough.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:Definitely think we will be in for a ruck somewhere, rookie or main list. From WAFL, Higgins and Clarke look the best bets. Eastland was pretty handy, but again, just 5cms too short. Higgins is apparently 191cm, surely that isnt right??
If you go to the Tigers games, have you seen anything of Goddard in the Magoos?
He is certainly still the standout in that class, but I wonder why he hasn't progressed to the seniors?

Unlike previous years, there were no genuine ruck candidates at the State Combine. Eastland is far too small for AFL.
So we may need to look further afield. For whatever reason, there seems to be a dearth of quality young talls this year.

If only Claremont hadn't stuffed up the Tim England recruitment.

Don't go to a heap of the Tigers games but quite a few. Goddard was dropped early after looking good last year. He's a tap ruckman and was not getting involved around the ground so was moved out for a roaming type in Eastwood and to a lesser degree, Gilbert. Depends what we want. Saying that, he played for the reserves and got more involved around the ground alter in the season. He is only 20, so could be a project player as a rookie.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:53 pm

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/fraser-mcinnes-set-for-west-coast-eagles-rookie-list-lifeline-ng-b88999018z
West Coast are poised to hand Fraser McInnes another lifeline on the rookie list as the versatile tall eyes playing his biggest role yet for the Eagles next season in their premiership defence.
Rawlings said West Coast would consider bringing in more mature-age ruck talent and had not ruled out a move for former Fremantle ruckman Zac Clarke, who played a key role in Subiaco’s WAFL premiership-winning team this year.
The Eagles could also pick up young talls through the national and rookie drafts.
“We certainly need to consider whether we go with one more, whether that be at draft time or rookie draft, given that Nic is starting the season injured,” Rawlings said.

I still think Cameron Loersch (ex GC) has potential as a Ruck/Forward)
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4791
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Fat Side wrote:We need to draft a top end ruckman. Searching through rookie selections is fraught with despair and disappointment (for the most part). We messed around rookie listing potential small forwards for years only to realise that, if we're serious about getting a quality small forward we had to use an early draft selection. Rioli was a steal at 52, but he was complemented by Ryan (picked at 26). Naitanui is approaching his twilight years and, although Vardy and Hickey will fill the void, we need a highly rated young ruckman that will be ready to go when Naitanui retires. This is all the more critical given the loss of Lycett. For mine, I would rookie Strnadica who took huge leaps in potential last year, but had to be released from Freo with Lobb, Sandi, Meek, Jones and Darcy ahead of him. He is worth a shot. In the meantime we might need to use 20 or 22 to get an excellent long term talented prospect (unless English is coming available next year).

As for the list management of the club; after winning the premiership, I have almost nothing to criticise. If the list manager believes McInnes should remain on the rookie list for another year, that's good enough for me.

On the whole I have to agree regarding list management, and sometimes I tend to forget that they have done an excellent job assembling this squad. Even though I may disagree with their handling of our ruck stocks.

I also agree that we need to keep McInnes, but its the why we need to keep him that I'm not happy about.

You make an interesting point regarding the drafting of a young ruckman.
Certainly if we saw another Naitanui we should go for him, but the competition would be extreme. Or another Cox, although being a rookie he's probably a bad example.
However what the modern game seems to show is that we're better off with "cheaper" competitive ruckmen. Vardy has been a good pickup, as was Sinclair, and I have similar hopes for Hickey. IMHO what we don't want is another Lycett, good draft pick, 8 years on the list, for 75 games.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 am

8 years on the list for 75 games largely because he had a superstar ahead of him. If that's a problem then I'd happily repeat that problem and its associated premiership all over again in preference to him having played 175 games and Jack Watts being on our list.
No regrets whatsoever. Just unlucky for us that he wanted to go home. We'll miss his mongrel factor.
File under "shit happens"
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:43 am

Crazy Dazz wrote: IMHO what we don't want is another Lycett, good draft pick, 8 years on the list, for 75 games.

Injuries have been the issue. Without them and he would have been well up on 75 games. The years that he was fit he tended to play most games.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:It is very relevant I feel the being traded/free agency point. If they are high draft picks they want opportunity early. The last thing you want to do is invest both an early draft pick AND years of development only to have them up and leave with minimal return. I mean yes we ended up winning a premiership before losing Lycett, but come finals it became a very tight argument whether he was the #1 ruckman at our club with Vardy playing extremely well.

It is a big risk taking ruckmen early, especially when in a few years time you can trade for the same player for a lower price and have a better idea on whether he'll make it or not.

And I guess that's my point. Not ragging on Lycett, just saying its probably not the best approach.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Fat Side wrote:Zac Clarke is also mentioned as having interest from a few clubs. My gut feel is pass on him, but is he a player we are looking at?

So he's going to Essendrug. What a guy. When he's retired he'll be able to look back on his career and boast that he played for both the Bombers and the Muppets.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:34 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Fat Side wrote:When he's retired he'll be able to look back on his career and boast that he played for both the Bombers and the Muppets.
Nope, he will have the ultimate boast,
that he played for Woosha.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/e ... the-demons

...ex-Gold Coast ruckman Brooksby will get a second chance with reigning premier West Coast after impressing in the SANFL with South Adelaide.

It looks like we are exploiting the new Pre-season Supplementary Selection Period to bring Brooksby onto our Rookie list.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 am

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/exroo-exploits-new-rookie-rule-to-join-the-demons

...ex-Gold Coast ruckman Brooksby will get a second chance with reigning premier West Coast after impressing in the SANFL with South Adelaide.

It looks like we are exploiting the new Pre-season Supplementary Selection Period to bring Brooksby onto our Rookie list.

Welcome to Brooksby. Not a bad move as back up, a tad on the shorter side for a ruck at 197cm (99kg) but at 28 years old he should have a seasoned body, ready to play if called upon.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading