11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Ruck Prospects

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Ruck Prospects

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:
Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/exroo-exploits-new-rookie-rule-to-join-the-demons
...ex-Gold Coast ruckman Brooksby will get a second chance with reigning premier West Coast after impressing in the SANFL with South Adelaide.

It looks like we are exploiting the new Pre-season Supplementary Selection Period to bring Brooksby onto our Rookie list.

Welcome to Brooksby. Not a bad move as back up, a tad on the shorter side for a ruck at 197cm (99kg) but at 28 years old he should have a seasoned body, ready to play if called upon.
Weird
I must be missing something but I don't understand the system.
The players don't go in the draft, in the belief they will be picked up by their club of choice.
But the club won't know if its got a place? And I thought the only way you could create a place was to have somebody retire or go onto the LTI list? Or are we allowed to go one short in the RD?

Anyone know what the rules are for the new Inactive list? Is it an option for NN?

And I'm definitely not sold on Brooksby. Just looks like more of the same, Jonno Giles MkII. Plus he's undersized for the AFL. Very short-term fix.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 pm

I think as of this year as long as a player has been:
A) delisted,
B) retired for a year,
then they can be added to any clubs rookie list, I assume with player consent. I also think I remember this being an option up until about mid March. It allows for some interesting listings down the track.

In fact I found this regarding a previous article I'd saved about Cyril by Sam Mclure.
Chapter 17 of the official AFL rule book states that:

A Player who: (i) is on the Primary List of a Club; and (ii) subject to Rule 1Z 1(c), is removed
from the Primary List by that Club on or before the final list lodgement date in a particular year
will be a Free Agent in the relevant year.

(c)A Player who elects to retire or has lodged a Player Request for Removal from a List' form in the
form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 40, will not be a Free Agent under Rule 1Z l(b) in the
relevant year.

(edit:) A club can offer an ex-player a rookie position on their list all the way up to March 15.

Maybe CD that in referring the the LTI list etc you might be thinking about the new mid season rookie draft? Which is something else again.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-brings-in-midseason-rookie-draft-for-2019-

How the rookie-list replacements will work

Pre-season list changes (Dec 1, 2018 to Mar 15, 2019)

Clubs that have a rookie list spot available can now utilise it by signing a player during this period.
To be eligible, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL National Draft or previously been on the list of an AFL club.
If a club suffers an injury or retirement, a list spot can be created by placing a player on an inactive list, and they can now be replaced by a rookie player.
Clubs must have the available salary cap for that player as per the current AFL rules

Mid-season rookie draft (date to be confirmed)

Should AFL clubs have a list spot available or one is created through a player being placed on the inactive list, they will be able to add a player to their rookie list and select players based on reverse ladder order at a mid-season date to be specified.
To be eligible, players must re-nominate for the mid-season rookie draft.
Clubs have first rights to re-contract their drafted player or he becomes a delisted free agent.

It might be wise to always keep a spot free on the rookie list...
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:52 pm

They can offer them a spot, provided they have one, in the pre-season period, which runs from December to March.
So these players, some of whom were nominated for the Drafts, have withdrawn their nominations, on the understand that the teams will pick them up in December.
But this of course requires the club to go one short in the RD to keep a place open.

There will also be a mid-season draft, but again subject to having places available.

Clubs can also open up places by putting players on the inactive list, or by retiring. I presume that they can do this at any time.
But I don't know the rules for the inactive list, or whether it would be beneficial to put NN on it.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:12 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-21/f ... ppy-to-fly

"All you can do is rock up and put your best foot forward and work hard and play some good football and see what happens,"
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:37 am

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-21/from-deep-end-to-depth-new-eagle-is-happy-to-fly

"All you can do is rock up and put your best foot forward and work hard and play some good football and see what happens,"

Interesting article. Looks like they like this guy better than Clarke. Similar stats in similar level competitions in WAFL and SANFL. I believe the WAFL is quite low on talent with regard to rucks, so maybe the result he had in the SANFL was worth more? Also, to be voted captain in the team of the year is a good sign. Additionally, given his background, you probably can not look too much into his Suns form. Seems like Eade farked him up as well.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:8 years on the list for 75 games largely because he had a superstar ahead of him. If that's a problem then I'd happily repeat that problem and its associated premiership all over again in preference to him having played 175 games and Jack Watts being on our list.
No regrets whatsoever. Just unlucky for us that he wanted to go home. We'll miss his mongrel factor.
File under "shit happens"

The low number of games was largely due to injury. I think there was only 1 year (2015 or 2014?) where he was battling for that second ruck spot with Sinclair.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:
Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-21/from-deep-end-to-depth-new-eagle-is-happy-to-fly

Interesting article. Looks like they like this guy better than Clarke. Similar stats in similar level competitions in WAFL and SANFL. I believe the WAFL is quite low on talent with regard to rucks, so maybe the result he had in the SANFL was worth more? Also, to be voted captain in the team of the year is a good sign. Additionally, given his background, you probably can not look too much into his Suns form. Seems like Eade farked him up as well.

Really happy with the pickup. Vardy, Hickey, Mcinnes and Brooksby, with Nic maybe returning late in the year. I think we should be able to maintain at least 1 competitive ruck man for the full year (whether or not we play 2 might be decided by injuries)

Low cost cover to keep Hickey and Vardy honest. I was concerned that a Vardy Injury (likely) would allow Hickey to become complacent like he regularly did at the saints. Now we can keep him honest with someone better than McInnes, and it hasn't really cost us anything.

Still loving our list management team's moves for the last few years.
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 pm

CouchPotato wrote:Really happy with the pickup. Vardy, Hickey, Mcinnes and Brooksby, with Nic maybe returning late in the year. I think we should be able to maintain at least 1 competitive ruck man for the full year (whether or not we play 2 might be decided by injuries)

Low cost cover to keep Hickey and Vardy honest. I was concerned that a Vardy Injury (likely) would allow Hickey to become complacent like he regularly did at the saints. Now we can keep him honest with someone better than McInnes, and it hasn't really cost us anything.

I agree with that last statement.
I also like that the Eagles have been quick to exploit this new loophole. I love that they are now prepared to think further outside the box.
I have been asking for years that the Eagles rookie list a ruck prospect. I'd prefer that he was two inches taller, my concern is simply that's its much easier to dominate the boys and old men of the SNAFL, but height isn't everything.
My biggest concern with Brooksby is that he'll be 29 next season. Not exactly the future.
But yes, we really can't afford to take anyone else, as we now have 5 ruckmen on our list.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
CouchPotato wrote:Really happy with the pickup. Vardy, Hickey, Mcinnes and Brooksby, with Nic maybe returning late in the year. I think we should be able to maintain at least 1 competitive ruck man for the full year (whether or not we play 2 might be decided by injuries)

I agree with that last statement.
I also like that the Eagles have been quick to exploit this new loophole. I love that they are now prepared to think further outside the box.
I have been asking for years that the Eagles rookie list a ruck prospect. I'd prefer that he was two inches taller, my concern is simply that's its much easier to dominate the boys and old men of the SNAFL, but height isn't everything.
My biggest concern with Brooksby is that he'll be 29 next season. Not exactly the future.
But yes, we really can't afford to take anyone else, as we now have 5 ruckmen on our list.

We are also bringing in two Cat B rookies for next year: Bines and Riach
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:My biggest concern with Brooksby is that he'll be 29 next season. Not exactly the future.

This may be the low cost future of rucking.
Grab the best from the WAFL/NEAFL/SANFL etc who are 27-28 who have had a bit of a go in their early to mid 20s but never made it for whatever reason (poor development, playing second or third to a Gawn/Brody etc.). Play them for 2-3 years, rinse, repeat.

Is it too late to delist someone else and grab Loersch (sp?)?
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 am

Also like the look of our rucks. All are in their prime. We have great depth again this year. Guys competing for spots in the 22 is a fantastic position to be in. :D
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading