West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Rosa Requests a Trade

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Rosa Requests a Trade

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Mead wrote:With both rosa and selwood you can't begrudge them chasing the bucks at this point in their career.

The situation is very similar to what the QStick's was when he left- they are at a point where they are going to have progressively less opportunities at this club and probably only have 2-3 years of top level football in them. It makes perfect sense for them to chase a good contract elsewhere to extend their career and try and put a few hundred k more in the bank before they retire. Rosa has given the club a decade of good service, and is a cusp 22 player now and likely to be even more on the fringes by this time next year- he would be stupid to stay put, so all you can do is wish him well.

Whereas some seem to see Rosa being contracted as a negative, I see it as a positive.
As a FA we would get nothing. If really lucky, we would get a "3rd round" pick, which would mean #58, which is worth less than nothing in this draft.
In a trade we can at least push for something.

And the thing is Rosa is already a Life Member. He will always be remembered as an Eagle (just like Lynchy.)
I don't know where Hayley is from, but IIRC she's a teacher, so can work anywhere. Thing is if they decide to settle back in Perth, and have lots of little Matty jnrs, Westcoast is the only club they'd be F/S eligible for.
We all like to see guys play till the end and walk away on their own terms, but sometimes its not always possible.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Ric on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mead wrote:With both rosa and selwood you can't begrudge them chasing the bucks at this point in their career.

The situation is very similar to what the QStick's was when he left- they are at a point where they are going to have progressively less opportunities at this club and probably only have 2-3 years of top level football in them. It makes perfect sense for them to chase a good contract elsewhere to extend their career and try and put a few hundred k more in the bank before they retire. Rosa has given the club a decade of good service, and is a cusp 22 player now and likely to be even more on the fringes by this time next year- he would be stupid to stay put, so all you can do is wish him well.

Whereas some seem to see Rosa being contracted as a negative, I see it as a positive.
As a FA we would get nothing. If really lucky, we would get a "3rd round" pick, which would mean #58, which is worth less than nothing in this draft.
In a trade we can at least push for something.

And the thing is Rosa is already a Life Member. He will always be remembered as an Eagle (just like Lynchy.)
I don't know where Hayley is from, but IIRC she's a teacher, so can work anywhere. Thing is if they decide to settle back in Perth, and have lots of little Matty jnrs, Westcoast is the only club they'd be F/S eligible for.
We all like to see guys play till the end and walk away on their own terms, but sometimes its not always possible.

I believe she's a Perth girl and they have no kids yet.
If smoking is so bad, why does it cure dead fish?
Ric
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:07 pm

lazzas wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-17/rosa-not-on-trade-table

he wont be going anywhere, unless a decent offer is made :lol:

So what's a decent offer? High second round pick?

Possibly package our 3rd round pick with rosa for pick around the mid 20's, so our 3 picks would be say 25, 36 and 37 ish?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:55 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
lazzas wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-17/rosa-not-on-trade-table

he wont be going anywhere, unless a decent offer is made :lol:

So what's a decent offer? High second round pick?

Possibly package our 3rd round pick with rosa for pick around the mid 20's, so our 3 picks would be say 25, 36 and 37 ish?

Our 3rd round is worth jack. It's so worthless that you wouldn't give it away. Better to use it on a roughy.

I'd ASK for pick #35, OR Pick #19 for Rosa and #36.
Probably settle for #43.

I'd like #35 just for the novelty factor.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:03 pm

With Rosa he is in the last year of a contract next year. What sort of an offer is he going to get if he stays here and only manages a 10 games as a depth player? And then what is he going to get offered if he goes to another club and plays almost all the season? A whole lot more. Don't feel bad at all for him looking for better options
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby lazzas on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:07 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:

Better keeping him then even if we get Jack shit next year.

With Rosa he is in the last year of a contract next year. What sort of an offer is he going to get if he stays here and only manages a 10 games as a depth player? And then what is he going to get offered if he goes to another club and plays almost all the season? A whole lot more. Don't feel bad at all for him looking for better options
lazzas
Regular

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:49 am

Honestly - Id prefer the eagles keep him as a depth player, if we sustain an injury to any one of Duggan, Sheed, Jetta, Gaff. Shuey or Masten, Rosa would be the next person in line.

There is a low probability we will have all of those 6 out on the field for more than half of the season. So there is a good chance Rosa will play 11 or so games

Hutchings is great cover for the likes of Priddis, Duggan or Redden.

We cant let experienced players walk.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:06 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Honestly - Id prefer the eagles keep him as a depth player, if we sustain an injury to any one of Duggan, Sheed, Jetta, Gaff. Shuey or Masten, Rosa would be the next person in line.

There is a low probability we will have all of those 6 out on the field for more than half of the season. So there is a good chance Rosa will play 11 or so games.

I agree with your logic, there will always be injuries, players regaining form in the WAFL, etc.
I think where we differ is how far down the order Rosa would be.

Rosa was sub for the GF, so that makes him #22.
In front of him for a game in 2016 will be Jetta, Redden, Duggan, probably Nelson, and Kane Lucas will be pushing for a game.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:12 pm

The Charlie Dixon deal was the perfect opportunity for us to get involved. Get something for Rosa and hopefully consolidate a better draft pick.
Instead Carlton stuck their bib in, snaffling pick #19.
Still GC have picks #31, #35, and #43, plus I guess they still have their 3rd round from next year.
Should be something there we can get the deal done on.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Deroadster on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Rosa is a better player than most in our team and it showed in the GF and finals.
Keep him at all cost and F off Masten the turnover king... please!
Deroadster
Regular

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Deroadster wrote:Rosa is a better player than most in our team and it showed in the GF and finals.
Keep him at all cost and F off Masten the turnover king... please!

There's no doubt that Rosa's experience and maturity was valuable in the finals, and personally I don't think he should have been sub.
But he's a fringe player and nolonger best 22.
Simple fact is if we get to another GF, we need everyone to have their shit together and not lose their bottle, to have any chance of winning. If we get to the finals in 2016, and Rosa is even in the 22, that's a sure sign several things have gone pear-shaped.

Besides, I think people are forgetting that Rosa has asked fro this trade. He knows better than anyone his own limitations and what the future holds.
Do you think he wouldn't love another crack at a GF? That he wouldn't give his left nut for a flag? His problem is that he KNOWS he's not going to get that opportunity.
It IS sad, he's been a great servant of the club, just unfortunate that his career has spanned our premiership gap, but he has evaluated his future and made his choice. It would be cruel to not respect that.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:13 pm

lazzas wrote:To be honest I'm in two mind's if the depth keeping Rosa gets the cup next year then to get steak knives for him would be worth it. Of course there is no guarantee that the Eagles will even get into the GF.

There's certainly that angle to it.
My view is that Rosa has been a good player, but @ 29 is slipping off the pace. I think he could be handy depth next season, but at wnat point in depth is it better to run a youngster? Maybe not #23 or #24, but Rosa will probably be around #26+ and only if he holds his form.

I suppose the mercenary view says that we see what gets offered. Something decent, considerate it. Rubbish 3rd round pick, we might as well keep him.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby lazzas on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
lazzas wrote:To be honest I'm in two mind's if the depth keeping Rosa gets the cup next year then to get steak knives for him would be worth it. Of course there is no guarantee that the Eagles will even get into the GF.

There's certainly that angle to it.
My view is that Rosa has been a good player, but @ 29 is slipping off the pace. I think he could be handy depth next season, but at wnat point in depth is it better to run a youngster? Maybe not #23 or #24, but Rosa will probably be around #26+ and only if he holds his form.

I suppose the mercenary view says that we see what gets offered. Something decent, considerate it. Rubbish 3rd round pick, we might as well keep him.

Should have said I'm in three minds because would like to help him out. He has been great for the club, honest in his wishes
lazzas
Regular

Postby Tony Evans Rules on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:04 am

Word is mid-2nd rounder deal will happen today.
Tony Evans Rules
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby sydney eagle on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:02 am

Tony Evans Rules wrote:Word is mid-2nd rounder deal will happen today.

Any rumours on who is after him ?
sydney eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading