Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



2016 Rookie Draft (no PSD)

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2016 Rookie Draft (no PSD)

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:06 pm

West Coast Eagles

#12 Thomas Gorter (East Perth)

#29 Simmo's Old Mate

#44 Fraser McInnes
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:08 pm

1 Essendon - Sam Draper (South Adelaide)

2 Brisbane Lions - Jake Barrett (Gws Giants)

3 Fremantle - Taylin Duman (Oakleigh Chargers)

4 Gold Coast Suns
- Keegan Brooksby (Gold Coast Suns)

5 Carlton
- Kym LeBois (North Adelaide)

6 Richmond - Tyson Stengle (Woodville West Torrens)

7 Collingwood - Mitch McCarthy (Dandenong Stingrays)

8 Melbourne - Lachlan Filipovic (Sandringham Dragons)

9 Port Adelaide
- Peter Ladhams (Norwood)

10 St Kilda - Rowan Marshall (North Ballarat)

11 North Melbourne - Cameron Zurhaar (East Fremantle)

12 West Coast Eagles - Thomas Gorter (East Perth)

13 Adelaide - Sam Shaw (Adelaide Football Club)

14 Hawthorn - Oliver Hanrahan (St. Kevin's College)

15 GWS Giants - Tendai M'Zungu (Fremantle Football Club)

16 Geelong Cats - Jack Henry (Geelong Falcons)

17 Sydney Swans - Ben Ronke (Calder Cannons)

18 Western Bulldogs - Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (Eastern Ranges)

19 Essendon - Shaun McKernan (Essendon)

20 Brisbane Lions - Mitchell Hinge (Glenelg)

21 Fremantle - Luke Strnadica (East Fremantle)

22 Gold Coast Suns - Cameron Loersch (???)

23 Carlton - Alex Silvagni (Fremantle Football Club)

24 Collingwood - Henry Schade (Gold Coast Suns)

25 Melbourne - Tim Smith (Casey Scorpions)

26 Port Adelaide - Brett Eddy (South Adelaide)

27 St Kilda - Passed

28 North Melbourne - Oscar Junker (Western Jets)

29 Simmo's Boys' Club - Drew Petrie (North Melbourne Retirement Village)

30 Adelaide - Passed

31 Hawthorn - Jack Fitzpatrick (Hawthorn Football Club)

32 GWS Giants - Joel Patfull (Greater Western Sydney)

33 Geelong Cats - Zach Guthrie (Calder Cannons)

34 Sydney Swans
- Robbie Fox (Coburg)

35 Western Bulldogs - Joshua Prudden (Western Bulldogs)

36 Essendon - Yestin Eades (Essendon FC)

37 Brisbane Lions - Oscar McInerney (Casey Scorpions)

38 Fremantle - Brady Grey (Fremantle Football Club)

39 Carlton
- Andrew Gallucci (Carlton FC)

40 Collingwood - Liam Mackie (Glenelg Football club)

41 Melbourne - Declan Keilty (Casey Scorpions)

42 Port Adelaide - Jarrod Lienert (Sturt FC)

43 North Melbourne
- Matthew Taylor (Perth)

44 West Coast Eagles - Fraser McInnes (West Coast Eagles)

45 Adelaide - Ben Jarman (North Adelaide)

46 Hawthorn - James Cousins (Murray Bushrangers)

47 GWS Giants - Passed

48 Geelong Cats - Jamaine Jones (North Ballarat rebels)

49 Sydney Swans - Shaun Edwards (Essendon)

50 Fremantle - Josh Deluca-Cardillo (Peel Thunder)

51 Collingwood - Max Lynch (Murray Bushrangers)

52 GWS Giants - Passed

53 Geelong Cats - Sam Simpson (Geelong Falcons)

54 Sydney Swans - Toby Pink (Glenelg)

55 Sydney Swans - Passed

Last 5~6 picks are now correct, there was a glitch in the AFL's system.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Thomas Gorter (East Perth)
Didn't see that one coming.
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4913
A mature age product from Kojonup in our Lower South-West zone, Tom has come through the East Perth program and not only did he make his League debut this season but he also had a breakout year and went on to win the clubs best first year player in 2016.

Impressing the coaching group in the pre-season with his work ethic, fitness levels & elite left foot kick he was called up for a West Coast intraclub game, Gorter’s ability to read the play and nullify contests in the defensive half against a wide variety of opponents has caught the eye of several onlookers.

Working seamlessly with the rest of the Royals defensive six, Tom’s style of play is already consistent with zoning structures that are being employed by AFL Clubs. To complement his football smarts, Tom’s preparation is elite to ensure that he 100% ready to go for every contest.

Nice to see the Eagles finally take somebody from East Perth, but I am expecting the universe to collapse in on itself now.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:15 pm

We have two places on our list to fill. (And we need to re-draft McInnes)
We could take one in the PSD and one in the RD, but either way we need to grab two players. So who might we be after?
There were some decent prospects overlooked in the ND. Guys like Scharenberg, etc. I'd suggest that if we want a high-profile pick like that, we should use the PSD.
But otherwise the Rookie Draft often comes down to picking project players, and you hope nobody else is targeting them. Less of a chance at this point, but you could still be unlucky.

We haven't taken any bigs this year, and not many recently. Surely that should be on the agenda?
But when you look through the various lists of favoured draft talent, one thing stands out. There weren't many KPPs in there, and those that were, got taken.
Some have suggested that next year, is the draft for bigs, so maybe we should wait till then. But considering how long talls can take to develop, maybe not.
Presumably Petrie is still under consideration. That would actually fit with the "next year" philosophy.

Jeremy Goddard would seem to be the standout in the (local) developing ruckman category. Luke Strnadica could be another (but Goddard appears to be ahead of him in very category.)
Brad Fullgrabe tested middle of the pack at the State Combine. He's been used as a ruck in the junior levels, but could be a KPP prospect. He's listed at 194cm and 97kg.
Mitchell Dzelebdzic is a promising young South Freo forward.
Matt Guelfi is a young Claremont mid tipped to go in the RD.

Of course its as well to remember that Freo may well have its eyes on the same local talent, plus there's plenty of options outside WA.

The other one I've been watching this year is Will Maguinness. He recovered from his injuries and Glandular Fever, returned to East Perth, and was showing good signs towards the end of the season. Has he done enough to earn a recall?
He's hard to peg, because he's 21, nowhere near AFL level (yet?), but he missed so much footy and development due to illness. I wouldn't mind seeing him get another crack, but I think we have higher priorities.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Streaker on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm hoping we pick up Marlion Pickett in the Rookie Draft. Can see him being a good replacement for Butler but with a bit more dash.

Would also like Goddard who I'd rate a better prospect than picking up someone like Petrie. I don't see any positives in recruiting Petrie.

I know there'd be an unwritten law somewhere that prevents it but I'd really like us to break with protocol and pick up Jarrod Garlett who recently quit the Suns. Being back in his hometown and having some structure and guidance whilst keeping him in a monitored environment from guys like Troy Cook and Dale Kickett at the Wirrpanda Foundation would benefit him no end.

Bailey Banfield is one player who I could see transitioning into and AFL player. Has good height to weight ratio already and is a genuine accumulator of the footy.

I don't see Liam Ryans game translating into an AFL environment. I think his size prevents him from having the same impact he has at WAFL level.

Quigley on Banfield
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... s.1152444/

Bailey Banfield

Banfield was not overly noticeable at the Champs but was one of those guys who took what he learnt from the Champs and improved week on week in the second half of the year. He was always a big ball winner in the Colts but it was encouraging that he was able to bring similar ball winning ability to the Reserves when he got the chance. He played a couple of WAFL games at the end of the year and debuted with a 26 possession game at the top level. He went back to the Colts for the finals and was part of Claremont's premiership team. In the Grand Final he had a significant influence on the result with his hard running and his 32 disposals and 6 tackles.

From all reports Banfield is a very professional young guy who is meticulous in his approach to preparing for games and improving in general. His kicking remains something which needs work but he has shown improvement on the year and there is no reason to suggest that will not continue. It is interesting to look at his kicking efficiency percentages over the year. As he progressed through the WAFL levels he improved his kicking efficiency at each jump up in class. Usually with less time, a player’s kicking comes under more pressure and their efficiency goes down. It is the opposite with Banfield and a testament to the work he has put in. He is a left footer and most of his issues I think are to do with a tendency to just pump it long indiscriminantly rather than taking an extra second to look for a target. This is pretty common when a guy is used to playing with less skilled players and field position is important. I think drills in an elite environment will go a long way to getting that out of his game.

Banfield has the build most teams are looking for in a mid, standing 189cm tall and weighing a toned 84kgs. He was not invited to the National Combine instead tested at the State Combine where he had some very impressive results. His vertical jump would have placed him second in the Combine and his running left foot jump in the top 5. His 24.88 would also have put him in the top 5 in the repeat sprint and his 8.30 in the agility test would have put him just outside of the top 10. His 20m sprint time of 2.96 was also pretty good. With guys doing all of their testing on the one day the State Combine participants often suffer in the beep test and return lower scores than those at the Combine and so his 12.9 time was less of a concern for me than it would have been if he had done it at the Combine. I would equate that to about a 13.5 all things being equal. Overall Banfield tested very impressively and combined with his size he is a very interesting package.

Banfield is an inside out mid who wins a high percentage of contested ball. As he improves his tank I would like to see him work harder on the spread and get to space a bit more. Even when he is working on the outside he has guys in close proximity too much for my liking. On the inside Banfield moves through traffic well and he manages to get his hands on the ball a lot. He could be a bit quicker to get it away and he does tend to get scragged a bit. He keeps his arms free in tackles nicely but he is going to get done a lot for holding the ball early in his AFL career as he learns to adjust. It is much the same on the outside where he cruises a bit and moves east west looking for what to do with the ball rather than having the pedal to the floor and going north south whilst he assesses what is on offer. He has the pace he just needs to learn to work at a high cruising speed and attack a defence a bit more.

Defensively Banfield works pretty hard and gets up and down the park better than a lot of mids in this draft. He is also a willing tackler and even if he is not impacting the game in other ways he mucks in and tackles.

Overall I would have no trouble taking a punt on a big possession winning, good athlete who has a good attitude and shown really nice development over the year and I think there will be a couple of teams out there that would agree with me.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Streaker wrote:I'm hoping we pick up Marlion Pickett in the Rookie Draft. Can see him being a good replacement for Butler but with a bit more dash.

Marlion is one of those stories that we just want to have a fairy-tale ending, but I wonder if at 25 his chances of an AFL call-up are past.

Streaker wrote:Would also like Goddard who I'd rate a better prospect than picking up someone like Petrie. I don't see any positives in recruiting Petrie.

Yep, cannot argue with that. We've picked up Vardy, and we're persisting with McInnes for another year. Petrie offers little, and we need to get some younger talls into the program. Take Goddard and there is at least a chance of another Sinca, maybe even another Cox.

Streaker wrote:I know there'd be an unwritten law somewhere that prevents it but I'd really like us to break with protocol and pick up Jarrod Garlett who recently quit the Suns. Being back in his hometown and having some structure and guidance whilst keeping him in a monitored environment from guys like Troy Cook and Dale Kickett at the Wirrpanda Foundation would benefit him no end.

Yep, again you're correct on all fronts.
The Eagles should concentrate on ensuring they have the controls and support in place to keep guys on the right path. That way they can offer a chance to somebody like Garlett, and also safeguard all the other young guys. Trying to protect the club by not taking risks on guys like him, doesn't make any sense. If they don't have the right controls in place, any one of our young draftees could become the next Cousins.

Streaker wrote:Bailey Banfield is one player who I could see transitioning into and AFL player. Has good height to weight ratio already and is a genuine accumulator of the footy.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... s.1152444/

Overall I would have no trouble taking a punt on a big possession winning, good athlete who has a good attitude and shown really nice development over the year and I think there will be a couple of teams out there that would agree with me.

Yeah, he's certainly one of a few guys who might be worth a year or two.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Streaker on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:52 am

Tarir Bayok will join West Coast as a Category B Rookie as part of the new academy.

Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Fat Side on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:21 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:We have two places on our list to fill. (And we need to re-draft McInnes)
We could take one in the PSD and one in the RD, but either way we need to grab two players. So who might we be after?
There were some decent prospects overlooked in the ND. Guys like Scharenberg, etc. I'd suggest that if we want a high-profile pick like that, we should use the PSD.
But otherwise the Rookie Draft often comes down to picking project players, and you hope nobody else is targeting them. Less of a chance at this point, but you could still be unlucky.

We haven't taken any bigs this year, and not many recently. Surely that should be on the agenda?
But when you look through the various lists of favoured draft talent, one thing stands out. There weren't many KPPs in there, and those that were, got taken.
Some have suggested that next year, is the draft for bigs, so maybe we should wait till then. But considering how long talls can take to develop, maybe not.
Presumably Petrie is still under consideration. That would actually fit with the "next year" philosophy.

Jeremy Goddard would seem to be the standout in the (local) developing ruckman category. Luke Strnadica could be another (but Goddard appears to be ahead of him in very category.)
Brad Fullgrabe tested middle of the pack at the State Combine. He's been used as a ruck in the junior levels, but could be a KPP prospect. He's listed at 194cm and 97kg.
Mitchell Dzelebdzic is a promising young South Freo forward.
Matt Guelfi is a young Claremont mid tipped to go in the RD.

Of course its as well to remember that Freo may well have its eyes on the same local talent, plus there's plenty of options outside WA.

The other one I've been watching this year is Will Maguinness. He recovered from his injuries and Glandular Fever, returned to East Perth, and was showing good signs towards the end of the season. Has he done enough to earn a recall?
He's hard to peg, because he's 21, nowhere near AFL level (yet?), but he missed so much footy and development due to illness. I wouldn't mind seeing him get another crack, but I think we have higher priorities.


With 39 players on our senior list, we have three rookie picks available. McInnes is already on the WCE website as a rookie player so he will be picked. I reckon it certain Petrie will be selected - I'm not looking forward to the meltdowns that will flourish on here over the next few days. The question is; who will be the third selection?

Scharenberg is highly rated, but is a hard working inside mid and we have plenty of them. Forget Maginnes, he's had his chance. I think we will select a young ruckman to develop. Let's wait and see.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:38 am

Fat Side wrote:With 39 players on our senior list, we have three rookie picks available. McInnes is already on the WCE website as a rookie player so he will be picked. I reckon it certain Petrie will be selected - I'm not looking forward to the meltdowns that will flourish on here over the next few days. The question is; who will be the third selection?

Scharenberg is highly rated, but is a hard working inside mid and we have plenty of them. Forget Maginnes, he's had his chance. I think we will select a young ruckman to develop. Let's wait and see.


Picking up McInnes & Petrie as rookies means there is 2 backups for that fwd-ruck role should 2 of Giles/Lycett/Vardy go down. The question is will they promote one of them onto the senior list for the start of the year?

Realistically 2018 will be a right off for natanui also, cant expect him to be back to his best straight after a knee. Lycett really needs to prove his worth the next 24 months and not break down with injury after injury.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Frankie on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:21 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Realistically 2018 will be a right off for natanui also, cant expect him to be back to his best straight after a knee.


That seems overly pessimistic. Sure, we can't expect him to be near his best, but a write off? By the time 2018 rolls around he would have had an additional six months on top of the usual 12 month recovery for a knee reco. By then , I think it will be largely a confidence and match conditioning issue - although I acknowledge that regaining confidence after such a long-term injury can be a formidable hurdle to overcome, and I guess there is the possibility that he will never be quite the same freakish athlete again. So, as other posters have argued, a young developing tall should be a key priority going forward.

Streaker wrote:Tarir Bayok will join West Coast as a Category B Rookie as part of the new academy.


He seems a very interesting long-term prospect. Elite speed and possible X Factor. But just wondering, does he now come onto our list, or can a rival club still snatch him in the coming RD?
Frankie
Veteran
 
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Fat Side on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:51 am

Frankie wrote:
Streaker wrote:Tarir Bayok will join West Coast as a Category B Rookie as part of the new academy.


He seems a very interesting long-term prospect. Elite speed and possible X Factor. But just wondering, does he now come onto our list, or can a rival club still snatch him in the coming RD?


I'm not sure, but I think a club nominates interest in a Category B player. Should more than one club express interest, the player can choose.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (no PSD)

Postby Fat Side on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:22 pm

We have picks 12, 29 and 43 in the rookie draft.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (&PSD)

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Frankie wrote:
Streaker wrote:Tarir Bayok will join West Coast as a Category B Rookie as part of the new academy.


He seems a very interesting long-term prospect. Elite speed and possible X Factor. But just wondering, does he now come onto our list, or can a rival club still snatch him in the coming RD?


I'm not sure, but I think a club nominates interest in a Category B player. Should more than one club express interest, the player can choose.

This is different, its part of the nonsensical "Multicultural" "academy" rules. As I understand it, we put the time and effort into developing the player, then any club can take him in either draft. If he proves to be a total spud and nobody wants him, then we have the honour of adding him as Cat B Rookie. Awesome
Bayok has actually been in the system for a few years. He hails from Ellenbrook and plays for East Perth. If he slips through the RD, happy to have him, he's a bonus player just like Adamson and Brophy, but its a stupid system.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (no PSD)

Postby Pinion King on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:34 pm

This guy might be interesting to stick on the RL and start to develop. Would prefer someone young over Petrie.

Tony Olango
Ruckman
197cm/82kg
2/9/98
St Marys/NT

Tim English and Sean Darcy were the only pure ruckmen to get a shot on Friday, showing that clubs tend to prefer to trade for rucks or take them as rookies if they can. That may open the door for Olango to get a shot after showing great athleticism and improvement across the year. The NT prospect is a strong leap and has added some muscle to his frame, plus he is quite good with the ball in his hands at avoiding traffic and being solid by foot.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2016 Rookie Draft (no PSD)

Postby Pinion King on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:17 pm

Damn we took Petrie
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests