Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am

sydney eagle wrote:I agree as well. However doesn't this disadvantage the AFL's pets in Sydney and Brisbane ? If it does it will never happen.


Wouldnt disadvantage them so much, but with there being another market for athletes to earn a dollar in, if they can get into NRL a year before they can AFL, then the choice would be a little easier (especially in an area where AFL isn't the sport of choice) so it would get shot down due to the risk of losing players (although maybe the academy could be used as a way to off-set this)
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:40 am

Q is suggesting that "the absolute elite" 18-year olds could still be drafted in the first round so they would not be lost to AFL.

It would be very interesting to see if the draft age was lifted by only one year for the rest of the 'almost elites' how the draft would go. Would players not considered 'absolute elite' when they missed out one year end up being the number one pick the next after a year playing at state league level to show their true worth? Who would go up and who would go down in the ratings?
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 am

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west- ... b88766286z

News Corp journalist Sam Edmund, who broke the story for the Herald Sun, reported on Wednesday morning that the Eagles were facing a fight to keep McGovern, who had been offered a massive deal worth more than $7 million over six years.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby domo_the_eagle on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 am

No doubt, interstate clubs would need to offer gov alot more than WCE to get him to switch. 7mill over 6 seasons is certainly worth considering - with that comes massive expecation and scruitiny.

That said, i cant really see Gov leaving, unless WCE offer him a low value contract. I think gov would stay for an 800k-900k/season type deal.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:12 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:That said, i cant really see Gov leaving, unless WCE offer him a low value contract. I think gov would stay for an 800k-900k/season type deal.


The word is we have offered him $4million over 5 years. That's $800k per year.

Those that watched the live stream of the scratch match on the weekend may have seen Gov being interviewed. He was saying that he is hands on with his plumbing business because he needs the money to make ends meet (a bit tongue in cheek I think)
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Pinion King on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:That said, i cant really see Gov leaving, unless WCE offer him a low value contract. I think gov would stay for an 800k-900k/season type deal.


The word is we have offered him $4million over 5 years. That's $800k per year.

Those that watched the live stream of the scratch match on the weekend may have seen Gov being interviewed. He was saying that he is hands on with his plumbing business because he needs the money to make ends meet (a bit tongue in cheek I think)

Amazing how much of a turn around it is after being sent away from the club for being out of shape to being worth big money.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west- ... b88840410z

WEST Coast coach Adam Simpson insists the club is doing everything possible to retain its players amid reports five Melbourne clubs are chasing star midfielder Andrew Gaff’s signature.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

No doubt Gaff has stepped up this year. Would be a big loss for us, but hes just a very good player, solid or above average at everything but isnt leagues above anyone.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-18/b ... -successor

WEST Coast has tied down its top pick from last year's NAB AFL Draft, securing athletic tall Jarrod Brander for two more years.


This is an excellent signing. Awesome
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Fri May 18, 2018 3:02 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:No doubt Gaff has stepped up this year. Would be a big loss for us, but hes just a very good player, solid or above average at everything but isnt leagues above anyone.


What else is great about Gaff is that he is only 25 and should continue to get better. He is highly durable too, very rarely missing games. A lot of our inside 50s would dry up without him.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby MrWoollie on Sat May 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:No doubt Gaff has stepped up this year. Would be a big loss for us, but hes just a very good player, solid or above average at everything but isnt leagues above anyone.


What else is great about Gaff is that he is only 25 and should continue to get better. He is highly durable too, very rarely missing games. A lot of our inside 50s would dry up without him.

Very durable and very consistent. As best I can work out only 3 guys from that draft have played 150 games. Isaac Smith at the Hawks and Gaff and Darling. A few others will hit 150 this year (Brodie Smith, Dyson Heppell). Don't want to lose any of the three and to me Gaff's strengths are the consistency of performance and durability.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Sun May 20, 2018 11:46 am

MrWoollie wrote:
Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:No doubt Gaff has stepped up this year. Would be a big loss for us, but hes just a very good player, solid or above average at everything but isnt leagues above anyone.


What else is great about Gaff is that he is only 25 and should continue to get better. He is highly durable too, very rarely missing games. A lot of our inside 50s would dry up without him.

Very durable and very consistent. As best I can work out only 3 guys from that draft have played 150 games. Isaac Smith at the Hawks and Gaff and Darling. A few others will hit 150 this year (Brodie Smith, Dyson Heppell). Don't want to lose any of the three and to me Gaff's strengths are the consistency of performance and durability.


Yes. Great player getting better and stronger by the game. In my opinion he is our best player and irreplaceable. I can't think why anyone would use words like average about him but maybe they just don't notice how hard he works, how he links things up and how good a kick he is under pressure. Different from great players like Cousins or Matera, more like the great Dean Kemp. Very much hope he stays.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests