Advanced  

Latest Result

Grand Final MCG
Sat, 29 Sep 2018 • 12:00 WST
West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus



2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:06 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-26/e ... isted-lamb
DISCARDED West Coast youngster Tom Lamb says his time at the Eagles may yet continue, with the club considering redrafting him as a rookie.


Lamb may not be cooked yet.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Pinion King on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-26/eagles-could-swoop-again-on-delisted-lamb
DISCARDED West Coast youngster Tom Lamb says his time at the Eagles may yet continue, with the club considering redrafting him as a rookie.


Lamb may not be cooked yet.

I wouldn't be surprised. Play him a full season on the wing if we do.

Interesting he makes reference to his inconsistency and poor body language.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Pinion King wrote:
Fat Side wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-26/eagles-could-swoop-again-on-delisted-lamb
DISCARDED West Coast youngster Tom Lamb says his time at the Eagles may yet continue, with the club considering redrafting him as a rookie.


Lamb may not be cooked yet.

I wouldn't be surprised. Play him a full season on the wing if we do.

Interesting he makes reference to his inconsistency and poor body language.


I could become a happy man again if we rookie him and played him on the wing for a season. Then at lest we would know.

Poor body language would be what I'd previously called; 'boring him to death by playing him in the wrong position, which sounds like what he was also saying. Triangles go in the triangle hole and are not to be forced into the circle hole and the coaches should have worked that out a bit sooner.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:50 am

Fair Bump Play On wrote:Poor body language would be what I'd previously called; 'boring him to death by playing him in the wrong position, which sounds like what he was also saying. Triangles go in the triangle hole and are not to be forced into the circle hole and the coaches should have worked that out a bit sooner.


Yep. So not only is the club entirely responsible for his 'completely mismanaged' development (clearly Lamb holds no responsibility whatsoever), they are now responsible for his poor body language? He was on a one year deal this year meaning 'this could be your last chance' and he didn't take it.

Look, he was a highly regarded junior and there clearly has been difficulty getting him to where the club would like him to be. It is probably fair to state that he and the club could do better (I hope we re-draft him and we get the best from him). At the end of the day, he is a professional footballer and he needs to act professionally. It is probably little surprise that other clubs have shown no more than a passing interest.

As I've said before, big men take longer to develop. I can see talent in the guy, I believe he needs a bit more time.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Streaker on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 am

Fat Side wrote:As I've said before, big men take longer to develop.


Historically that was the case but it doesn't pan out that way anymore. If you go through all the team lists and look at all players between 191cm and 195 cm between the ages of 22 and 20 you'll see that only two teams are failing to put games into this bracket of player. The two teams are West Coast and North Melbourne. Not sure what this points too but it certainly creates a perception that other teams are either developing their players at a faster rate than us or we aren't identifying the right kind of talent.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Streaker wrote:
Fat Side wrote:As I've said before, big men take longer to develop.


Historically that was the case but it doesn't pan out that way anymore. If you go through all the team lists and look at all players between 191cm and 195 cm between the ages of 22 and 20 you'll see that only two teams are failing to put games into this bracket of player. The two teams are West Coast and North Melbourne. Not sure what this points too but it certainly creates a perception that other teams are either developing their players at a faster rate than us or we aren't identifying the right kind of talent.


It probably points to lack of opportunity due to an abundance of best 22 tall players. WCE have played Darling since day 1 making it difficult to fit another KPF into the side. Another might be the increasing size of midfielders. Mundy, Bontempelli etc are less subject of strength contests (one-on-one) as midfielders where key position players of that size are (Barrass). Lamb was drafted as a second or third KPF.

Anyway, it seems that Lamb is being tried in different positions around the ground in order to find where he plays best. The emergence of tall midfielders may give him scope to re-invent himself, but he will need speed, endurance and quality foot skills.
Make the switch now
User avatar
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:52 pm
Location: Enjoying the open space over here

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Streaker on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Streaker wrote:
Fat Side wrote:As I've said before, big men take longer to develop.


Historically that was the case but it doesn't pan out that way anymore. If you go through all the team lists and look at all players between 191cm and 195 cm between the ages of 22 and 20 you'll see that only two teams are failing to put games into this bracket of player. The two teams are West Coast and North Melbourne. Not sure what this points too but it certainly creates a perception that other teams are either developing their players at a faster rate than us or we aren't identifying the right kind of talent.


It probably points to lack of opportunity due to an abundance of best 22 tall players. WCE have played Darling since day 1 making it difficult to fit another KPF into the side. Another might be the increasing size of midfielders. Mundy, Bontempelli etc are less subject of strength contests (one-on-one) as midfielders where key position players of that size are (Barrass). Lamb was drafted as a second or third KPF.

Anyway, it seems that Lamb is being tried in different positions around the ground in order to find where he plays best. The emergence of tall midfielders may give him scope to re-invent himself, but he will need speed, endurance and quality foot skills.


Really missed the point but nevermind.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:26 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:26 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-30/key-forward-among-two-crows-axed-beech-ellisyolmen

I thought we looked at Ellis Yolmen a while back. Big body and a bit of x-factor in the midfield.

Sure, he's done a knee, but could potentially be a good pick up with pick 69?

Adelaide will rookie him, but I'd gamble a spot on him in the main draft.
CouchPotato
Veteran
 
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Mr Q on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Generally clubs do the right thing by each other by not drafting a player who's going to be given a rookie lifeline, though if the player has been told it's OK to look elsewhere then that might be different.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
User avatar
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: Block 331

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Mr Q wrote:Generally clubs do the right thing by each other by not drafting a player who's going to be given a rookie lifeline, though if the player has been told it's OK to look elsewhere then that might be different.

Yep, I don't think there have been many cases of other clubs taking players a club was going to redraft.

Most the time they are re-drafted with their last pick.

Gentleman's agreement between the clubs.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 am

Interesting:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88645527z

Pretty much what we have been saying.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
User avatar
Pinion King
EFH Legend
 
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Pinion King wrote:Interesting:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88645527z

Pretty much what we have been saying.


great article. The last paragraph hits the nail on the head.

The loss of experience will hurt but the club needs to hold its nerve and back in the young players it has recruited over the past two or three years and play them. The time is now to find out if they can become good AFL players or even stars of the future, or whether they aren’t good enough for the level. And if they’re not, move them on and invest in a new batch of youngsters via the draft.

If the club is not willing to play the kids and invest in the draft and instead wants to remain competitive by filling holes with C-grade players from rival clubs, then it will be that side in the 6-12 category in terms of ladder position that isn’t capable of challenging for a premiership.
User avatar
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic
 
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: Perth

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby The Boat on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:17 pm

West Coast mgmt clearly dont think we will slide next year after trading out next year's round 1 draft pick.

Brave decision that one.
The Boat
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Interesting:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... b88645527z

Pretty much what we have been saying.


great article. The last paragraph hits the nail on the head.

The loss of experience will hurt but the club needs to hold its nerve and back in the young players it has recruited over the past two or three years and play them. The time is now to find out if they can become good AFL players or even stars of the future, or whether they aren’t good enough for the level. And if they’re not, move them on and invest in a new batch of youngsters via the draft.

If the club is not willing to play the kids and invest in the draft and instead wants to remain competitive by filling holes with C-grade players from rival clubs, then it will be that side in the 6-12 category in terms of ladder position that isn’t capable of challenging for a premiership.
I'm thinking of sending him an invoice for writing half his article for him over the past six months (and you guys/girls should do the same for writing the other half). Either that or sue him for plagiarism.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
User avatar
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Peak District National Park

Re: 2017 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:02 pm

The Boat wrote:West Coast mgmt clearly dont think we will slide next year after trading out next year's round 1 draft pick.

Brave decision that one.


Some would say lunacy.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
User avatar
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame
 
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: Getting hot on this globe.

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests