West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Free Agent Targets 2018

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Free Agent Targets 2018

Postby Fat Side on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:37 pm

We are clearly refreshing the list and banking plenty of money. Should we target a key free agent next year and throw everything at getting one?

I think we should target Tom Lynch from the GC as a succession plan for JK. Do we want him? If so, can we get him? We would need to throw the kitchen sink at him.

Are there any others?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Re: Free Agent Targets 2018

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Any gun mids we could target?

Do we need to recruit Lynch for life after kennedy. AFL players post 30 seems to be increasing, so barring significant injury there is no reason kennedy couldnt play into his mid 30's. By then the kids we drafted this year should be pushing for selection in addition to Allen and Waterman.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:47 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Any gun mids we could target?

Do we need to recruit Lynch for life after kennedy. AFL players post 30 seems to be increasing, so barring significant injury there is no reason kennedy couldnt play into his mid 30's. By then the kids we drafted this year should be pushing for selection in addition to Allen and Waterman.

The only key position forwards we have after JK and Darling are Matthew Allen and Brander. Waterman and Oscar Allen are not big enough to play the number one KPF. Do we need more depth?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby penrith eagle on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Fat Side wrote:We are clearly refreshing the list and banking plenty of money. Should we target a key free agent next year and throw everything at getting one?

I think we should target Tom Lynch from the GC as a succession plan for JK. Do we want him? If so, can we get him? We would need to throw the kitchen sink at him.

Are there any others?

I think the Pies are in the box seat....lots of rumours that the Pies are going to have a crack
Time to repay the faith Tim Kelly 2021 is it his year ??

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:33 am

Fat Side wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Any gun mids we could target?

The only key position forwards we have after JK and Darling are Matthew Allen and Brander. Waterman and Oscar Allen are not big enough to play the number one KPF. Do we need more depth?

Matthew Allen and Brander are enough. Brander is as good a draft as anyone could have hoped for as a KPP and I think MA has been highly talked about at EP. We want them to get opportunities when they come along; for the long term good of the team.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am

We'll have problems of our own retaining our Restricted Free Agents in Gaff, McGovern and Lycett. I can't see us retaining all 3. If we are to chase and land a Free Agent then we'd lose our compensation pick if we lose one of our own.

Tom Lynch is from Victoria and would more than likely head back there. Unlikely we'd be a destination club for a Victorian by choice.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-22/o ... ree-agents
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 am

Have the feeling Gov just wants a long term contract, he isn't going anywhere. Why would anyone want to got to North?
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 am

Govs looking for a long term contract. Good chance he will stay.

Gaff, not sure. Hoping he stays as he has taken his game to a new level.

Lycett i reckon is the sleeper. Big offers will come for him i reckon. May leave because he would get alot more elsewhere and be the no.1 ruck.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Tue May 01, 2018 8:30 am

domo_the_eagle wrote:Lycett i reckon is the sleeper. Big offers will come for him i reckon. May leave because he would get alot more elsewhere and be the no.1 ruck.

I wonder if his current role - i.e. working in tandem - might be more attractive for him than being the No.1 ruck at another club? (where he would most likely be doing it solo). But yeah, I agree that there will be offers heading his way that the Eagles probably can't afford to match.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Tue May 01, 2018 8:35 am

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Lycett i reckon is the sleeper. Big offers will come for him i reckon. May leave because he would get alot more elsewhere and be the no.1 ruck.

I wonder if his current role - i.e. working in tandem - might be more attractive for him than being the No.1 ruck at another club? (where he would most likely be doing it solo). But yeah, I agree that there will be offers heading his way that the Eagles probably can't afford to match.

We'd get a decent draft pick for him I'd think? 2 Round 2 picks or better at least. He's worth nearly pick one.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 am

DALBY wrote:

We'd get a decent draft pick for him I'd think? 2 Round 2 picks or better at least. He's worth nearly pick one.

Big offers bound to come for him. Worth pick one I reckon. Right age for a big man to start hitting his peak, don't have to wait five or more years to see what you're getting. However, I really hope we can keep him, especially if true that NN is playing with bone on bone with his knee. While he does play in tandem with NN it has to be better for both their bodies and thus playing longevity, something I hope he will see as a positive and a reason to stay at the club rather than leave.

McInnes would probably be a starter at a lot of clubs looking for big men at the moment, might be looking for opportunities at the end of the year, possibly Allan as well.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 pm

DALBY wrote:

Doesn't compensation depend on the value of the offer? On that basis I would expect decent compensation as I would expect a pretty big offer from a few clubs. Even GWS who are struggling in the ruck since Mumford retired may offer (if they have any salary cap room).
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Tue May 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Keeping Lycett, Gaff and McGovern may be difficult unless we can back end long term deals.

Naitanui must be getting close to $1 million, Yeo about $800k, JK about $800k, Shuey about $800k. McGovern is going to cost $1million, Gaff probably $900 and Lycett maybe $700.

That is close to $6 million without our Captain and Darling being counted. Jetta will probably get a reduction, but we need to think about our up and comers too over the next little while.

It would be one hell of a coup to keep them all.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Mon May 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Mon May 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Streaker wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-free-agency/why-fremantle-must-go-hard-at-west-coast-free-agent-jeremy-mcgovern-ng-b88849322z

Since they're already Blske Acted managers why wouldn't the discussion be about him? Someone actually at St Kilda...
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading