Free Agent Targets 2018

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: Free Agent Targets 2018

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:57 am

CouchPotato wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Very interesting:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-free-a ... b88960336z

The free agent did not openly declare his decision when speaking to Mix 94.5 on Friday morning, but this was his reply when asked if he was going to be playing for the Eagles next year:

“Yeah I hope so. It’s still something we’re working through with my management and the club.

Will be stoked if he stays.

The more I think about it, Gaff is much more important than Lycett. I reckon we're confident we can get a backup ruckman in trade / draft and Lycett isn't worth what he's asking as a middle of the road ruckamn. You Gaff has developed into a quality A-grade mid, and replacing those doesn't happen easily even with draft picks

Given recent events, the contract negotiations could be down to the nitty gritty. It could be an agreement to stay in Melbourne for a few days post a Melbourne game. That would give him regular time with family. It could be the length of the contract. I would think that Gaff could sign a two year deal and leave himself open to a move home after that. Finish his career in Melbourne. I do understand why some players would want to enter into long term contracts, but at 26 years of age, there should be plenty of years left to play good footy. A two or three year contract, play good footy and get to revisit a contract after that.

I hope we can come to an agreement with him. He's an awesome player and getting better.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

The free agent did not openly declare his decision when speaking to Mix 94.5 on Friday morning, but this was his reply when asked if he was going to be playing for the Eagles next year:

“Yeah I hope so. It’s still something we’re working through with my management and the club.

As long as he's bought a house in Claremont, I'm not worried....
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Mr Q wrote:

As long as he's bought a house in Claremont, I'm not worried....

The Town of Victoria Park or Lego Land would be a more logical place now.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Streaker wrote:Geelong have now offered Dalhaus a 4 year deal.

How can they fit Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Ablett, Duncan, Bliclavs, Taylor and Stanley in the salary cap and yet we can't manage to keep Lycett etc.
Because, like all good Salary Cap Cheats, they have a corrupt billionaire bankrolling them. That's how Adelaide were able to "match" the official offer to Danger, because obviously the brown paper bags, and job for him Mum, don't count.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:34 pm

DALBY wrote:Jordan Roughead coming over on a 2 year deal apparently. I like it. :D

So what happened to this?

I understand the issue is that taking a FA reduces any compensation.
Assuming we don't match the Lycett offer, and we get a 2nd round pick, we might as well just take Roughead and be done with it. Even if we get no compo, effectively giving up pick ~45+ is a fair deal, and the Dogs will get a compo pick, and we might still score a 3rd rounder.
If, by some miracle, we get an end of 1st round, then yeah I guess we have to offer a trade.

And BTW, the whole system has knobs on it. We lose a ruck through FA, so we have to go and filch somebody else's...

Maybe it's part of a ploy? Could the Eagles be that devious?
Problem is I imagine even the Dogs would rather keep English and let Roughead go.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
DALBY wrote:Jordan Roughead coming over on a 2 year deal apparently. I like it. :D

I understand the issue is that taking a FA reduces any compensation, but who do they apply it against? Lycett compo, or Gaff Compo?
Assuming we don't match the Lycett offer, and we get a 2nd round pick, we might as well just take Roughead and be done with it. Even if we get no compo, effectively giving up pick ~45+ is a fair deal, and the Dogs will get a compo pick, and we might still score a 3rd rounder.
If, by some miracle, we get an end of 1st round, then year I guess we have to offer a trade.

And BTW, the whole system has knobs on it. We lose a ruck through FA, so we have to go and filch somebody else's...

Problem is I imagine even the Dogs would rather keep English and let Roughead go.

Not sure exactly. I may have jumped the gun on this. Apparently not in concrete just yet. I Agree though. This whole trade period sucks.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 pm

DALBY wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

I understand the issue is that taking a FA reduces any compensation.
If, by some miracle, we get an end of 1st round, then yeah I guess we have to offer a trade.

Not sure exactly. I may have jumped the gun on this. Apparently not in concrete just yet. I Agree though. This whole trade period sucks.
I don't think you jumped the gun, it was certainly big news about a month ago, just seems to have gone quiet. I suspect it all hinges on Lycett. If we don't match, then we usually find out pretty quickly what the compo is.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 am

Bit of news breaking, The Age's Peter Ryan reporting Tom Hickey will get to West Coast. Gives the Eagles the ruck back-up they need after Scott Lycett's move to Port Adelaide.

The Hickey to West Coast deal will be send either a second-round or a future third-round pick to St Kilda, The Age is reporting.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby jourgo on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am

Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:
Bit of news breaking, The Age's Peter Ryan reporting Tom Hickey will get to West Coast. Gives the Eagles the ruck back-up they need after Scott Lycett's move to Port Adelaide.

The Hickey to West Coast deal will be send either a second-round or a future third-round pick to St Kilda, The Age is reporting.

Official - welcome aboard, Tom Hickey

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-10/eagles-get-their-lycett-replacement-in-big-saint
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:26 pm

jourgo wrote:
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:

Official - welcome aboard, Tom Hickey

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-10/eagles-get-their-lycett-replacement-in-big-saint

Gotta say I am loving some of the deals we've been putting together recently.
We've given up pick #39 (and next year's 4th rounder) in exchange of Hickey, pick #60, and their next year's 4th round.
And we get yet another player who's happy to be here and feel's the club threw him a lifeline. And its not like he's a complete crab either. He managed 300+ hitouts from 13 games this year, and he's at the right age and career status to be quite good.

Plus as a trade, we still get our full compo for Lycett.

Not expecting miracles form this guy, but will be quite happy to see him in tandem with Vardy next year.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:31 pm

The closing of the first period left 13 Free Agents without deals.
Some, like Lecca, are Free Agents in name only. They'll either re-sign with their clubs or retire.
But there are some with a couple of years left in them. From this point, they can of course still be traded for. After that, they can delist themselves and go into the draft, or if the club delists them they can be picked up for nix in one of the remaining periods.

Jordan Roughead
I'd be interested to know what the Dogs would want for him in trade? Would they be prepared to do a worthless deal to get him to the club of his choice?
Been reported he was heading to the filth, but no announcement yet.

Ryan Schoenmakers
Has battled injury these past couple of years. But at 28, as a former premership player and a KPP who can play both ends, you'd think he'd be good depth for some club.

Horlin-Smith is likely going to the Gold Coast, but like us they didn't want to dilute their compensation. Rischitelli is expected to land there as a rookie.

Lecca, Libba, Menzel, and Goldsack are probably all pondering 1-year deals with their existing clubs.

Duryea, Blair, and Whitecross are still hopefull of finding new homes, whilst Bewick and Gilbert and unlikely to play on.

I wonder if we'd be interested in either Roughead or Schoenmakers, at the right price, to boost our stocks for a year?
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:The closing of the first period left 13 Free Agents without deals.
Some, like Lecca, are Free Agents in name only. They'll either re-sign with their clubs or retire.
But there are some with a couple of years left in them. From this point, they can of course still be traded for. After that, they can delist themselves and go into the draft, or if the club delists them they can be picked up for nix in one of the remaining periods.

Jordan Roughead
I'd be interested to know what the Dogs would want for him in trade? Would they be prepared to do a worthless deal to get him to the club of his choice?

Ryan Schoenmakers
Has battled injury these past couple of years. But at 28, as a former premership player and a KPP who can play both ends, you'd think he'd be good depth for some club.

Horlin-Smith is likely going to the Gold Coast, but like us they didn't want to dilute their compensation. Rischitelli is expected to land there as a rookie.

Lecca, Libba, Menzel, and Goldsack are probably all pondering 1-year deals with their existing clubs.

Duryea, Blair, and Whitecross are still hopefull of finding new homes, whilst Bewick and Gilbert and unlikely to play on.

I wonder if we'd be interested in either Roughead or Schoenmakers, at the right price, to boost our stocks for a year?

Would Roughead move to Perth for a 1 year contract?
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading