West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2018 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2018 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Pinion King on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Our picks could change right up to and on draft night.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Is(was) there some rule that traded picks had to be used??

We have two good picks 20 & 22.
Then one late pick at ~61,
Then rubbish at 72 & 76

Assuming we want Cameron, if bid on before 61, we'd use 61, 72, and debt to pay for him. If not, do we take him at 61, or leave him for potentially the rookie list?
It's always good to keep a spot in reserve, in case there is a slider. But we also have the option of expanding our main list to 40 if needed.

So I think we need to free up one more spot on the main list, and I think it should be Ryan or Karpany.

Was a rule that traded picks need to be used, it has been removed for a fe years now from memory.

No way should Ryan be cut for his incident. I understand your hatred of domestic violence, but cutting him free now would be the worst thing for him when he needs stability and the right people around him, sending him back to the wrong people around him with no positive role models around him would just send him off the rails. I can just imagine the negative publicity the club would get for cutting him and him going off the rails. It is better we try and teach him right from wrong and guide him into becoming a better person. Show him that he is better than that life.

Not to mention that there is only minimal information out regarding what actually happened and whilst it doesn't look good, it shouldn't be judged without the full story.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:55 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Ins:
Hickey - Traded

Outs:
Lycett - RFA
McKenzie - Retired
Lecras - Retired

Potential Delistings (minimum 1 i believe so we meet the minimum 3 draft selections):
Karpany - fallen behind every other young forward - Certain delist.
Matt Allen - is he begind Waterman, Brander or do we delist and re-rookie? seemed to have been perfoming well in the WAFL
Mutimer - contracted so we can delist and rookie? or retain then delist at the end of next year
AhChee - shown enough to retain as depth
Partington - really out of favour at WC, hope he gets another opportunity as a DFA.

Karpany for me is a definite delist.
Matt Allen has been trialled in the WAFL as a big bodied mid with some success. Has to improve his tank a bit more but could become another Yeo type player who can alternate between mid and forward.
Mutimer dropped back a bit this year but may have had an injury. As you say he's contracted and could be dropped back to a rookie listing.
AhChee will get another year
Partington is great depth and we'd be mad to delist him. Could win the Sandover next year.

Schofield could retire. I'd be suprised if he isn't contemplating it. If Gov or Bareass go down we have Brander or Oscar Allen as backups. Retire a champ.

Rookies.
Watson shows glimpses and is the one most likely to be promoted if we needed to promote someone.
Bayok is one I can't see we'd keep. Mostly played reserves this year.
Olango played 2 games of league this year for 11 disposals. May keep him as a rookie for another year.
Ryan Burrows is one that I'm not sure what it is our recruiting staff saw in him. For me it's a delist.
Callan England see above.
Fraser McInnes too small as a permanent ruck, not mobile enough as a KPF. Can we turn him into a Key Defender? Surely his time is up.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:07 am

Streaker wrote:Karpany for me is a definite delist.
Matt Allen has been trialled in the WAFL as a big bodied mid with some success. Has to improve his tank a bit more but could become another Yeo type player who can alternate between mid and forward.
Mutimer dropped back a bit this year but may have had an injury. As you say he's contracted and could be dropped back to a rookie listing.
AhChee will get another year
Partington is great depth and we'd be mad to delist him. Could win the Sandover next year.

Schofield could retire. I'd be suprised if he isn't contemplating it. If Gov or Bareass go down we have Brander or Oscar Allen as backups. Retire a champ.

Rookies.
Watson shows glimpses and is the one most likely to be promoted if we needed to promote someone.
Bayok is one I can't see we'd keep. Mostly played reserves this year.
Olango played 2 games of league this year for 11 disposals. May keep him as a rookie for another year.
Ryan Burrows is one that I'm not sure what it is our recruiting staff saw in him. For me it's a delist.
Callan England see above.
Fraser McInnes too small as a permanent ruck, not mobile enough as a KPF. Can we turn him into a Key Defender? Surely his time is up.

Can't say I disagree with any of that.
Except maybe M Allen. I'd think his time in the middle was simply about testing & improving other aspects of his game. Looks to me to be a promising KPF.
Bayok is a Cat B? But he's had 2 years?
Olango seems to me to be too undersize for an AFL
Not sure I fully get the idea behind drafting guys like Burrow and England? Typically guys like that have short lifespan on the rookie list, but by definition they weren't showing enough to begin with and are unlikely to improve enough in one year.
I feel they are better going with talls, who will take a few years to develop, and for smalls chase mature guys from the WAFL.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-19/s ... -preseason

After failing to play senior football this season, out-of-contract midfielders Luke Partington and Malcolm Karpany's careers are in jeopardy. Partington managed six senior games last year as a small forward, but couldn't crack another appearance in 2018 after goalsneaks Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan's sensational debut seasons.

A knee injury hampered speedster Karpany mid-year, and the 23-year-old didn't add to his seven appearances. Yet-to-debut tall Matthew Allen, who shared East Perth's best and fairest with Partington and former Eagles midfielder Patrick McGinnity, is also uncontracted and his future is unclear.

The Eagles have three confirmed departures in Mark LeCras (retired), Eric Mackenzie (retired) and Scott Lycett (Port Adelaide) from their flag-winning squad, while rookie Ryan Burrows is understood to have left the club. However, former Port Adelaide onballer Brendon Ah Chee will sign at least a one-year extension.

It is believed a multi-year deal will be confirmed for run-with midfielder Mark Hutchings after a career-best season culminated in a superb blanketing job on Steele Sidebottom in the Grand Final and his first top-10 finish in the John Worsfold Medal.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mykidsdad on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:04 am

6 gone

Karpany, Partington, Bayok, Burrows, England and Olango
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:04 am

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/sites/WestCoastEagles/news/2018-10-22/2018-list-changes?fbclid=IwAR2cyGNSPposbTi8aZMKTAFyeWSVIbgOD0qvchb3JGHPqB9GGVbHPWTzf0c

Eagles have announced their delistings.

The West Coast Eagles have advised six players that they will not be contracted beyond 2018.

Forward Malcolm Karpany, selected with pick No. 31 in the 2013 National Draft, and midfielder Luke Partington, selection No. 28 in the 2015 ballot, are among those who have not been offered a new contract.

They played seven and six senior games respectively, but could not squeeze into the senior line-up at any stage during the 2018 campaign.

Also delisted are rookies Tarir Bayok, Ryan Burrows, Callan England and Tony Olango
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:32 am

Pretty much as expected.

Mutimer survived which is interesting, unless he is contracted.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Mead on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:47 am

Dont understand how someone can simultaneously be B&F material at East Perth and not worthy of a senior game.

I am sure Partington will have a decent AFL career elsewhere.
Mead
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby domo_the_eagle on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am

Mead wrote:Dont understand how someone can simultaneously be B&F material at East Perth and not worthy of a senior game.

I am sure Partington will have a decent AFL career elsewhere.

surely Gold Coast will come knocking.

Suprised, but not suprised McInnes has been retained. Yeh he provides 'ruck' depth...he's the luckiest player in history to be on a list for 8 years and play 25 games.
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:45 pm

disappointed for Partington - feel like he may be a good player going forward. Ball magnets (Even if they butcher it) generally become pretty handy players as they mature. Are we a chance to rookie list him?

Other than that, no major shocks.

How many picks does that give us in the draft?
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Mead wrote:Dont understand how someone can simultaneously be B&F material at East Perth and not worthy of a senior game.
Jokes aside, I seriously wonder if there were other issues?
Supposedly we were so impressed with this guy, we extended his contract early, he looked ok on debut for a few games last year, dominated in the WAFL, yet couldn't catch a break?
And we've actually extended Mutimer past him!

Why was there no interest during trade week? Normally we would make a rubbish deal to get a player where he needed to go.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm

CouchPotato wrote:How many picks does that give us in the draft?

3~5 for the main list
2~4 for the Rookie list
upto 1 more B list rookie.

I can see us taking 3 or 4 in the ND. We've got two decent picks, presumably Cameron (unless he slips to the rookie) in which case we might use our 3rd pick, and there's always a chance we pick up a slider.

Watson might be chance to be upgraded.

I'm still not really clear how the drafting of our Academy players works, particularly if they aren't bid on. Whether they just go straight to B list rookies?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm

I hope we rookie Partington. He's clearly the pick in that bunch. Karpany is just unlucky. Got injured at the wrong times, and then Ryan & Rioli emerge. At 23 though, right call by the list management team.

The rest are not surprising, as mentioned above.

Definitely think we will be in for a ruck somewhere, rookie or main list. From WAFL, Higgins and Clarke look the best bets. Eastland was pretty handy, but again, just 5cms too short. Higgins is apparently 191cm, surely that isnt right??

Not sure how many of you get to WAFL games, but the Claremont games I got to these guys stood out:

Jye Bolton. 2 x Sandovers, 2 x Simpson medals, would be great cover for our inside mids. Can't understand why someone wouldn't give him a further 2 year crack at AFL.
Dylan Smallwood - looked composed at the back, if it is the guy I am thinking of. Only 20, good size and can take a mark. From Albany.

Always thought Schloithe was a better player than what he showed at Freo. He looked better than Kelly in 2017, and only a year older I think.

But we will go with youth.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:I hope we rookie Partington. He's clearly the pick in that bunch.
I did wonder about that, will be interesting to see.
Perrythegreat wrote:Jye Bolton. 2 x Sandovers, 2 x Simpson medals, would be great cover for our inside mids. Can't understand why someone wouldn't give him a further 2 year crack at AFL.
I'm surprised somebody didn't give him another go after his 1st Sandover. His problem now is that he's a little old to be making his debut. He'll be in his prime next season, but at that point you want guys to have a few games under their belt. There's also not much upside left.
Fair enough if he has a debut season like Kelly but you wouldn't want to put a few years development into him.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading