West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2018 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2018 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:19 am

Matt Allen has been given a new one year deal.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:22 am

So 4 main spots available.

20, 22 then a late one in the 60s I think.

With the rookie clean out, you'd think Partington would find himself back on the list.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:So 4 main spots available.

20, 22 then a late one in the 60s I think.

With the rookie clean out, you'd think Partington would find himself back on the list.

There's 3~5. We had 39 on the main list, but can have 38~40.

Much will depend on whether there is a bid for Jarrod Cameron:
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/player/jarrod-cameron/?fbclid=IwAR1Cv5Yh9icbqxL65qeSeMaLB6JQDxLwjOR1UlG4Asg3GyXvS2qmIQVZUcQ
and if not whether we want him on the Rookie or Main List.

I'm not 100% clear on how the points are allocated. Theoretically even our 4th round pick was worth the minimum points, but that doesn't account for compo picks, such that #74 is now #76.
One of the weird issues with the bidding system, is that you must have a vacancy for every pick you sacrifice. So even if say we expect Cameron to be pid on before our 3rd pick, and we then sacrifice 3 picks towards payment, we had to vacancy for each of those picks.
So as it stands, we now have 5 live picks in the ND: 20, 22, 61, 72, & 76.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:13 pm

If we use 20 and 22 and then have to use multiples for Cameron that's fine. If we want to add an extra to the main list we can always go for a mature hit or miss with pick 76. Note that pick 74 on are worth nothing in points.
Or we could promote a rookie. I's be happy to see Watson on the main list.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 pm

MrWoollie wrote:If we use 20 and 22 and then have to use multiples for Cameron that's fine. If we want to add an extra to the main list we can always go for a mature hit or miss with pick 76. Note that pick 74 on are worth nothing in points.
Or we could promote a rookie. I's be happy to see Watson on the main list.

We have 3~5 places.
So my best guess is we take 2 good picks, plus Cameron.
Maybe if Cameron lasts past 61, and there's a slider, we take another there.
There MIGHT be a delisted player, or something similar we have our eyes on and will add to the main list late in the draft.
If we were say picking up somebody for depth, might have to offer them a spot on the main list.
Otherwise it becomes about managing our rookies. We could promote Watson.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:08 am

Gold Coast
2018 senior list: 38
Deletions: 8 (Rosa retired, Lynch, Hall, Kolodjashnij, May, Scrimshaw traded, Barlow, Rischitelli delisted)
Additions: 8 (Ellis, Miles, Horlin-Smith, Hombsch traded, Burgess, Collins, Corbett signed, MacPherson upgraded) (may also upgrade Holman)
Live picks: 2 (currently 2, 3, also have 6, 24, 29, presumably more delistings to come)

West Coast
2018 senior list: 39
Deletions: 5 (LeCras, MacKenzie retired, Lycett FA, Karpany, Partington delisted)
Additions: 1 (Hickey traded)
Live picks: 5 (currently 20, 22, 61, 72, 76)

Trade next years 1st for 24 and 29 perhaps? Can't see them using the picks so why wouldn't we try.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:04 pm

We certainly scored big from this one. :D

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-27/b ... trade-haul
2013 NAB AFL Draft: Dom Sheed (pick No.11); Malcolm Karpany (31); Tom Barrass (43); Dylan Main (49)

AFL Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts: Will Maginness; Rowen Powell; Murray Newman

Rookie upgrades: Jamie Bennell; Jeremy McGovern; Simon Tunbridge

Trade and free agency: Xavier Ellis; Elliot Yeo

What the club said: "We could not be happier with the players we have brought into the club via the trade and draft. We felt we needed to add some depth within the midfield and that has certainly been delivered. Elliot has played mainly at half-back but we expect in the longer term he will develop into a quality midfielder. Not only that but Xavier Ellis came to us as a free agent and of course we recruited four exciting young players tonight. We were quietly confident that Dom would be available to us at pick 11 and that was why we made the decision to swap first round selections with Collingwood (pick six). To also draft Malcolm Karpany, who adds skill and class to our midfield and forward half, Tom Barrass is a developing tall defender and Dylan Main is a smooth moving tall half-back with potential midfield attributes." - football operations manager Craig Vozzo

Verdict: The Eagles had a blinder here. They traded their pick No.6 for Collingwood's 11th selection and a second-round pick, helping them secure Grand Final hero Sheed and dual club champion Yeo from Brisbane in exchange for pick 28 (Lewis Taylor). That deal also saw them retain a presence in the second round of the draft, although Karpany didn't come on as hoped and has been delisted. Taking local product and Grand Final star Barrass at No.43 overall was another huge tick. Xavier Ellis' injury troubles still dogged him at West Coast but the ex-Hawk helped the Eagles reach the 2015 decider, a disastrous day which ultimately had a silver lining this September.

Trade and draft period rating: 9/10
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Streaker wrote:Gold Coast
2018 senior list: 38
Deletions: 8 (Rosa retired, Lynch, Hall, Kolodjashnij, May, Scrimshaw traded, Barlow, Rischitelli delisted)
Additions: 8 (Ellis, Miles, Horlin-Smith, Hombsch traded, Burgess, Collins, Corbett signed, MacPherson upgraded) (may also upgrade Holman)
Live picks: 2 (currently 2, 3, also have 6, 24, 29, presumably more delistings to come)

West Coast
2018 senior list: 39
Deletions: 5 (LeCras, MacKenzie retired, Lycett FA, Karpany, Partington delisted)
Additions: 1 (Hickey traded)
Live picks: 5 (currently 20, 22, 61, 72, 76)

Trade next years 1st for 24 and 29 perhaps? Can't see them using the picks so why wouldn't we try.
Better send them some KY, I think they are still hurting from last year.

On my numbers, GC have 4 spots to fill, and can add a max of 3 to the Senior list, which would give them the mandatory 3 live picks. But my numbers still treat McP as a rookie, so they only take 2 plus an upgrade.

What I'm not clear on is whether they have any Academy Players in the mix?
(But one of the other things to remember is that they can't use non-live picks, even for points.)

Be interesting to see what their strategy is, once list lodgements are finalised? Are they going to use pick 6? Would the Saints trade them pick 4 to improve their mid-range?
If not I wouldn't mind us having a crack at #6. :D

#24 would be good, but what would we offer?
I'd only want #29 if we were going to trade up with someone else. I don't think we want 4 decent picks, plus Cameron.

The downside to any trade with GC, is that their opening line is going to be "Great, you owe us a bundle."

Trading our future picks is also a risk. The default, for valuation purposes, is to assume we finish 1st again, and there's nowhere to go but down from there.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Picks 24 (785) and 29 (653) are about equivalent to pick 9.5. I can't see them going for that, meaning we would have to finish outside the 8 for them to come out ahead.

I wouldn't be unhappy to do it, as we could then use the live pick 29 for Cameron. I know we don't then get the academy discount for a match (15%?) but we are in trouble for matching points below that pick. At the moment any Cameron pick below 22 would put us in significant deficit for next year if we matched.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:02 pm

MrWoollie wrote:Picks 24 (785) and 29 (653) are about equivalent to pick 9.5. I can't see them going for that, meaning we would have to finish outside the 8 for them to come out ahead.

I wouldn't be unhappy to do it, as we could then use the live pick 29 for Cameron. I know we don't then get the academy discount for a match (15%?) but we are in trouble for matching points below that pick. At the moment any Cameron pick below 22 would put us in significant deficit for next year if we matched.

outside the first round, the discount is fixed at 197 points.
the good thing about going into deficit, is that we only have to start repaying in the same round. So we'd be praying Cameron lasts until the 3rd round,
OR we trade away next years 2nd round so its not at risk.

Our biggest risk on Cameron is the Gnats. They have pick 19 and are supposedly interested. If they bid 19, I'd be inclined to let him go, and I would hope that is unlikely. Then they also have pick 25. If we had 29, there'd be a risk of them bidding 25.

When you see the fucking ridiculous concessions other clubs are milking out of this system, I'm inclined to want us to get Cameron for as little as possible.
The AFL has pretty much admitted that they've made a total pig's ear of the Multicultural Academies. It was supposed to encourage clubs to go out and engage with migrant communities and promote AFL. Instead, you just have scouts sidling up to every talented 15yr old with a suntan and asking where their parents come from.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Pinion King wrote:We certainly scored big from this one. :D

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-27/b ... trade-haul
2013 NAB AFL Draft: Dom Sheed (pick No.11); Malcolm Karpany (31); Tom Barrass (43); Dylan Main (49)

AFL Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts: Will Maginness; Rowen Powell; Murray Newman

Rookie upgrades: Jamie Bennell; Jeremy McGovern; Simon Tunbridge

Trade and free agency: Xavier Ellis; Elliot Yeo

Verdict: The Eagles had a blinder here. They traded their pick No.6 for Collingwood's 11th selection and a second-round pick, helping them secure Grand Final hero Sheed and dual club champion Yeo from Brisbane in exchange for pick 28 (Lewis Taylor). That deal also saw them retain a presence in the second round of the draft, although Karpany didn't come on as hoped and has been delisted. Taking local product and Grand Final star Barrass at No.43 overall was another huge tick. Xavier Ellis' injury troubles still dogged him at West Coast but the ex-Hawk helped the Eagles reach the 2015 decider, a disastrous day which ultimately had a silver lining this September.

Trade and draft period rating: 9/10

This draft really had an impact on the grand final, Particularly if you count the McGovern upgrade. Yeo, Sheed and Barass. Collingwood picked up Langdon and traded for Taylor Adams. Other than Shuey that's all the Players in the norm smith medal count. That downgrade of a pick to get Sheed and Yeo was arguably as good as the Gold Coast swap. Okay, it wasn't as much of a swindle as the gold coast swap, but you gamble and sometimes you lose. Gold coast have delisted a load of players, so I think they use the five good picks they have.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Yep, Suns just delisted Lyons. Wow.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:Yep, Suns just delisted Lyons. Wow.

Dead last for sure next year. Getting beyond a joke now. :roll:
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mykidsdad on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 am

Lycett to be dropped from Port's team... Wow
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading