West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2018 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2018 Draft

Postby Pinion King on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:11 pm

I think we have done ok. We seem to have focused on outside run and solid players. Who are never going to have a highlight real. A project ruckman and project small forward. We weren't expecting Brisbane to bid on Cameron and we probably had someone else lined up for 39.

We also picked up an extra 2nd rounder next year. Which I wouldn't be surprised will be to give more options for the Kelly deal.

Remember we have only seen 3 minutes of highlights and reports based on what reporters see. Every team passed on Valente, even the SA teams, some more than once. If he is that good why did they all pass on him?

I thought Ainsworth was a waste of a pick when there were others, with better write-ups and highlights, still there. So far he has proved me wrong.

The recruiters have spent 2 years, or more, watching the kids and probably seen hundreds of hours of footage live and on tape, plus interviews with the player and family. They know a lot more about the players that we do. What do players do off the ball? What are their mistakes like? What are their weaknesses? What are their attitudes? Are they prepared to work their guts out? Do they understand that they will not just walk into the best 22 in round one? There are hundreds of questions.

What the player gives now doesn't mean that is what the player will give in a few years time.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Just quickly
Pinion King wrote:we probably had someone else lined up for 39.
We entered the draft with pick 61, which was probably around 66 by the time Cameron was bid. That (plus debt) is what we used to pay for him. Either way it wouldn't have given us a great player, but we still did have the option of getting a player later, around 69 IIRC.
Pinion King wrote:Every team passed on Valente, even the SA teams, some more than once.
But that's true of every player bar the number 1 pick.
Valente was only ever going to go early to mid 2nd round.
Pinion King wrote:Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Indeed I shall.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:31 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Foley, sorry just leaves me cold. He wasn't any good last year, and as an over-aged player he barely made the grade, still playing Colts.
For all his downsides, I don't understand why we didn't pounce on Valente at that pick.

That's the one that has me stunned. Pretty sure Foley would have gone a lot later or even (most likely) been available as a rookie.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:59 am

I think the new kick in rules for next year will change how the ball is moved from the back line to the forward line. I think you'll see our big men positioned at both flanks and one down the centre rather than them all gathering towards one side like they do at present. I also think that you will need outside runners around these talls in order to create quicker ball movement. With this in mind you'll need guys who can run all day hence the addition of Foley and O'Neill. Williams has a sprint time faster than that of some highly touted midfielders which bodes well for him as a forward prospect as well as a marking target out of defence.

Bailey Williams - 2.946 seconds
Xavier O'Neill - 2.957
Xavier O'Halloran - 2.96 seconds
Ben King - 2.965 seconds
Sam Sturt - 2.966 seconds
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:57 pm

Streaker wrote:I think the new kick in rules for next year will change how the ball is moved from the back line to the forward line. I think you'll see our big men positioned at both flanks and one down the centre rather than them all gathering towards one side like they do at present. I also think that you will need outside runners around these talls in order to create quicker ball movement. With this in mind you'll need guys who can run all day hence the addition of Foley and O'Neill. Williams has a sprint time faster than that of some highly touted midfielders which bodes well for him as a forward prospect as well as a marking target out of defence.

Bailey Williams - 2.946 seconds
Xavier O'Neill - 2.957
Xavier O'Halloran - 2.96 seconds
Ben King - 2.965 seconds
Sam Sturt - 2.966 seconds

Also he could become very useful marking opposition kick-outs and getting us repeat I50s.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:As my (hopefully) final word on this draft, before moving on and concentrating on the future:
I am, overall, less than impressed with our performance.

I feel that we should have been looking to trade up, not backwards in this draft.
Last years' trade of gaining a bunch of picks by trading our first round pick for GC's 2nd, proved to be a masterstroke, but we need to be careful that we're not concentrating too much on the trading game, and not enough on the actual players. There were some bloody good players who went in the 1st round, and I would have preferred to amongst those.

If GC don't succeed in turning him into a cokehead, I think we will regret trading away McLennan (or even potentially Hill.)

Given where we were at , and who was available I don't mind O'Neill. He'll take a while to develop, but i think was a good gamble.

Foley, sorry just leaves me cold. He wasn't any good last year, and as an over-aged player he barely made the grade, still playing Colts.
For all his downsides, I don't understand why we didn't pounce on Valente at that pick.
Or if we wanted a local, I think England is a better prospect.

I'm not sure about the decision to take Williams. I assume we figured that it was effectively going to be our last pick besides Cameron.
Last thing we needed was another KPF prospect, so we'd better hope he grows an inch or two and becomes a genuine ruckman. But then why have we already committed to Brooksby and McInnes?
I would have preferred we pick up English, take a punt on Koschitzke's hip, or even Bytel's back.

I also would have liked to see us fill our list, and take that last pick.
Somebody like, Grundy, or Tobe Watson.

NB: I have no real issue with Edwards, as a project player anything is possible.

Then we come to the players overlooked. And in terms of places on the list, I'm looking at McInnes, Brooksby, and Josh Smith.
By definition, these are guys we good have had for nothing:

Sydney Stack. So pissed we didn't give Stack a go. Really hope he's able to keep his life on track and thrives at Richmond.
Luke Meadows. If you want a midfielder who's AFL ready, this guy could have been Tim Kelly 2.0
Jye Bolton. I think he's too old to make a comeback, but if we wanted to add mature depth for a B2B push, he was a better option than Smith.
Dillon O'Reilly and Oliver Eastland. If we wanted a speculative project tall to develop, one of these guys could have been worth a shake.

Anyway, I thinks that's about it, onwards and upwards, looking forward to next season.

What have you seen of McLennan that has you so hyped on him? He looks like a good intercept marker which is great for a defender, but looking at his SA v Vic Country highlights, his disposal seems rather worrisome. A few ugly kicks, also some ugly handballs. We have placed a real emphasis on skills lately and it starts from the backline, can't afford to cough it up and let them get a shot on goal from a shaky kick or a missed handball.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Sun May 05, 2019 8:59 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:Thats it. Sydney Stack remains undrafted. unbelievable
Agreed
I didn't agree with those who thought we should grab him with a decent pick, but worth rookie spot with somebody surely.

Is it just his size?
Hopefully he can hit the gym, keep ripping it up in the WAFL, and teams will be kicking themselves.

Bit us on the ass that one.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading