West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2018: Trade Bait??

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2018: Trade Bait??

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Is there anyone the Eagles should be talking to about a trade?

I'm thinking in terms of players who have ability and a future, but would perhaps be better off with more opportunity?
Not saying "we need to trade to get draft picks" (although improving picks is always good) just asking whether there are players that would benefit?

I do think that sometimes, young players starved of opportunity, can go "stale." They lose focus, lose touch, and then lose hope. Some are lucky and get a 2nd chance and are driven enough to make a go of it, but many just fade, get delisted, and never make it back.

Naturally out of state players, exhibiting signs of homesickness, would be prime candidates.

Jackson would seem to be an obvious one to ask the questions of? Is he going to continue to develop, and will he get enough opportunities to do so?

Then we have a raft of young turks, Partington, Mutimer, and Brayshaw. I think they're all good young players, with loads of potential, but are they all going to get the opportunity they deserve here?

NB: I'd be talking about trading maybe one of the above, not all of them.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: 2018: Trade Bait??

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 pm

Honestly, I think Partington needs to get out. He isn't in our plans, seems to be doing a lot of things and could be a handy player. I dunno if he slept with the bosses daughter or if there is just one box he isn't ticking to get a gig but seemed to be banging down the door for 2 years now and not given a crack.

Can't see us getting much in return for him, maybe a swap of second round picks, but would be beneficial to us and him.

Karpany and Mutimer if there is any interest at all we should look to move them on for pick upgrades.
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:14 pm

WCE Booka 89 wrote:Honestly, I think Partington needs to get out. He isn't in our plans, seems to be doing a lot of things and could be a handy player. I dunno if he slept with the bosses daughter or if there is just one box he isn't ticking to get a gig but seemed to be banging down the door for 2 years now and not given a crack.
That's exactly the type of thing I mean.
Ok, so he's not a superstar from day one, but there are guys that take a while to develop, and we've just got a few too many.
WIth Gaff and Shep back, and potentially Kelly, there's a lot of competition for spaces. Masten is good for another season or two.
Of course there will be injuries, form slumps etc, and that will give some opportunities, but not enough to develop all these players.

End of the day, a player like Partington is worth what he's worth. He was equal B&F winner at East Perth. Surely he would be of interest to somebody like Carlton?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mr Q on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:22 pm

If the Eagles land Kelly - and it's a big if still - then there might be a bit of discontent among the fringe that they'll be pushed back a position.

After all, we'd need to find a spot for Gaff and Kelly ahead of players that were in the GF 22 - that's a big ask. Then, and only then do we get to games for the fringe players, and we're looking at Partington, Ainsworth, Mutimer, Brayshaw, Petruccelle.

The logical changes would be Gaff and Kelly in for probably Masten and maybe LeCras if he elects to finish up or otherwise Venables. But that would just shovel Venables back in with that list above. Tough to do.

Still, we managed to debut eight players - most in the comp - in a Premiership season. Can't say we're not giving kids a chance, and clearly not at the cost of the best team we can put on the park either.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Mr Q wrote:If the Eagles land Kelly - and it's a big if still - then there might be a bit of discontent among the fringe that they'll be pushed back a position.

After all, we'd need to find a spot for Gaff and Kelly ahead of players that were in the GF 22 - that's a big ask. Then, and only then do we get to games for the fringe players, and we're looking at Partington, Ainsworth, Mutimer, Brayshaw, Petruccelle.

The logical changes would be Gaff and Kelly in for probably Masten and maybe LeCras if he elects to finish up or otherwise Venables. But that would just shovel Venables back in with that list above. Tough to do.

Still, we managed to debut eight players - most in the comp - in a Premiership season. Can't say we're not giving kids a chance, and clearly not at the cost of the best team we can put on the park either.

But that highlights the problem? We debuted the most, half went on to become regulars, and we couldn't find space to give games to Partington, Muttimer, Brayshaw or Karpany. (Plus still have others lining up for their chance.)
Its a good place to be in for the club, but not for those players.
Partington, after supposedly being so highly regarded by the Eagles, probably looked at this year as his great opportunity with the cleanout, and yet he didn't get a game.
In hindsight, if we'd had a crystal ball, he should have been traded at the end of last year. Surely Pykey would be interested?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Mr Q wrote:If the Eagles land Kelly - and it's a big if still - then there might be a bit of discontent among the fringe that they'll be pushed back a position.

But that highlights the problem? We debuted the most, half went on to become regulars, and we couldn't find space to give games to Partington, Muttimer, Brayshaw or Karpany. (Plus still have others lining up for their chance.)
Its a good place to be in for the club, but not for those players.
Partington, after supposedly being so highly regarded by the Eagles, probably looked at this year as his great opportunity with the cleanout, and yet he didn't get a game.
In hindsight, if we'd had a crystal ball, he should have been traded at the end of last year. Surely Pykey would be interested?

Most of those players are 21 and under and should know that their time will come. Lecras is 32, Kennedy and Hurn 31, Schofield, Masten and Jetta 29, Shuey 28, Not many midfield eagles play well into their 30's. The majority drop off dramatically in their 30th year. With that in mind you'd say over the next season at least 3 positions will open up. Since we haven't delisted anyone as yet I'd say we're waiting to see if anyone is interested in them before we say goodbye.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 am

Venables is the the next Shuey. He cannot be allowed to leave.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:51 am

With the Eagles apparently hell bent on getting Kelly, and damn the cost, I am surprised we haven't been trying to trade away one or more of these players?
Guys who are struggling for opportunity and will only get pushed further down the list if we bring in Kelly.

And to be honest I'm surprised that there aren't teams chasing guys like Nelson, Partington, and Mutimer. They could probably get a regular game with some other teams.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:33 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:With the Eagles apparently hell bent on getting Kelly, and damn the cost, I am surprised we haven't been trying to trade away one or more of these players?
Guys who are struggling for opportunity and will only get pushed further down the list if we bring in Kelly.

And to be honest I'm surprised that there aren't teams chasing guys like Nelson, Partington, and Mutimer. They could probably get a regular game with some other teams.

Unlike Hawthorn we aren't trading players out behind their back or who don't want to go.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 am

Not sure if the AFL.com.au blog writer is on drugs, but noted the Eagles needed to include future first round pick along with pick 20 & 22 for Kelly.

Considering he is out of contract next season, that is a flat NO F'ING WAY.

I'm not even comfortable with 20 & 22 at the moment
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Return to Drafts and Trading