West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Basketballers as Footballers

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Basketballers as Footballers

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 pm

https://thewest.com.au/sport/st-kilda-saints/wa-basketball-young-gun-sam-alabakis-signs-rookie-deal-with-st-kilda-ng-b88993764z
A former Perth Wildcats training squad member, Alabakis has never had any major exposure to organised football, but a skills session conducted with the Saints at Langley Park in June convinced the club of his potential.

The former Hale School student trained with St Kilda’s VFL affiliate side Sandringham towards the end of the season and honed his kicking with the help of former WAFL player Mark Deaves while in the US. Deaves joined ULM this year as a punter on the football team.

I'm surprised the Eagles haven't explored something like this, perhaps including some kind of joint program with the Wildcats. Especially as a potential back-up ruck option.

I'm not necessarily convinced of the merits of trying to teach AFL to a 20 something year old. But I'm sure there are others who have played AFL as kids, possibly right up until they went to college.
Hugh Greenwood, a talented youngster in both sports, has been successful at Adelaide after initially signing with the Wildcats.

The problem with guys like Adamson is that you're trying to create a mature-age midfielder, with not a lot of years to reap rewards. I wonder if rucks are a better prospect? As they mature later, generally play to a greater age, and the specific skills are more closely related to Basketball?
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: WA basketball young gun signs rookie deal with Saints

Postby Streaker on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:https://thewest.com.au/sport/st-kilda-saints/wa-basketball-young-gun-sam-alabakis-signs-rookie-deal-with-st-kilda-ng-b88993764z
A former Perth Wildcats training squad member, Alabakis has never had any major exposure to organised football, but a skills session conducted with the Saints at Langley Park in June convinced the club of his potential.

The former Hale School student trained with St Kilda’s VFL affiliate side Sandringham towards the end of the season and honed his kicking with the help of former WAFL player Mark Deaves while in the US. Deaves joined ULM this year as a punter on the football team.

I'm surprised the Eagles haven't explored something like this, perhaps including some kind of joint program with the Wildcats. Especially as a potential back-up ruck option.

I'm not necessarily convinced of the merits of trying to teach AFL to a 20 something year old. But I'm sure there are others who have played AFL as kids, possibly right up until they went to college.
Hugh Greenwood, a talented youngster in both sports, has been successful at Adelaide after initially signing with the Wildcats.

The problem with guys like Adamson is that you're trying to create a mature-age midfielder, with not a lot of years to reap rewards. I wonder if rucks are a better prospect? As they mature later, generally play to a greater age, and the specific skills are more closely related to Basketball?

You mean like this bloke.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/patrick ... GOoWllw.97
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Streaker wrote:You mean like this bloke.

On the face of it, I think they had the right idea with Bines, but it hasn't really worked out.

Bines isn't really tall enough for a modern day ruck, and he's rather skinny for a KPP.
Unfortunately he's so far behind the curve that he can't even crack a game in the WAFL Maybe the Eagles also need a team in the Magoos?

Similarly with Briach.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:51 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:You mean like this bloke.

On the face of it, I think they had the right idea with Bines, but it hasn't really worked out.

Bines isn't really tall enough for a modern day ruck, and he's rather skinny for a KPP.
Unfortunately he's so far behind the curve that he can't even crack a game in the WAFL Maybe the Eagles also need a team in the Magoos?

Similarly with Briach.

They are both no risk selections. They are additions to our list and, if there is any prospect that they could come up, it's worth it. These guys are still young by footy standards and have cost us nothing.

Alex Keath is almost 28 and has played for three seasons (30 games). He is now likely to get a long term contract with St Kilda or the Bulldogs. Hugh Greenwood is nearly 28 (50 odd games), Mason Cox is nearly 29.

Coming from other sports, they need more time to develop before we see their true potential. Bines and Riach are still 20 and 21 years old. Bines and Riach have had a fair share of injury and health issues this year and that is to be expected when your body is conditioned for one sport and now it's being asked to prepare for another at an elite level. I think Riach had a hernia issue. I am happy for them us to persevere with them.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 am

I think they've got the right idea, and yes its a free hit, but they've got to make it worth something.
What you say is right, but also part of the problem. These guys at 20 & 21 are still trying to (re)learn the game.
For that kind of investment, there needs to be a significant upside.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I think they've got the right idea, and yes its a free hit, but they've got to make it worth something.
What you say is right, but also part of the problem. These guys at 20 & 21 are still trying to (re)learn the game.
For that kind of investment, there needs to be a significant upside.

The upside is the potential to get one or two players that will form part of a successful team. We are about to trade for a 25 year old, so giving time to a couple of elite athletes is a no brainer.

These selections are speculative, but worth the effort.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Return to Drafts and Trading