West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

MATURE Draftees - Finding the Next Kelly

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

MATURE Draftees - Finding the Next Kelly

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Bit of a mish-mash of ideas here, but I think it boils down to one question, the idea of adding mature players...

Winning a flag is hard, a lot of things need to go right, and for us they did. All you can really do is take it one game at a time, try to have a great season and finish top 2.

Going B2B isn't "harder", it's just "as hard" again.

Obviously if we'd had the ability to do what Freo did, go after Lobb and Hogan, that would have been a point of great discussion. But we didn't.
We kept Gaff, that's probably the biggest tick in the box.
We lost Lycett, but replaced him with Hickey.
We went HARD after Kelly. Didn't work out, but not much more we could have done.
It appears we're keeping McInnes.

As things stand we'll enter the draft and try, as usual, to pick some young talent.

Is there anything else we might do, out of the ordinary, to bolster our efforts to win another in the next year or so?

The only thing I can think of, is the possibility of adding mature depth, as opposed to purely developing youth.
With that in mind, I can think of two avenues, adding delisted player(s), or drafting mature state-league players.
The question then is whether there are areas in which we need such depth, and rather critically, whether there is anyone available?

Apart form the ruck issue, I'm a little concerned over our lack of Goal-kicking depth. We have a great forwardline, better than we have seen for a long time, but everyone's already here. We cover injuries well, but there's no standout in the WAFL waiting to break in. Waterman is probably our best, if he can get his body right. M Allen looks promising, and will hopefully come on next season.
If looking to delisted players, Daniel Menzel would be the pick of the crop. Delisted today by Geelong, so we can take him as a Delisted Free Agent.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-25/five-clubs-showing-interest-in-delisted-cat-menzel
Michael Bennell could be an interesting option. He's more of what we already have, and a fly-weight. But he only made his WAFL debut at 24 and is already a star.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/albany-product-bennell-wants-to-write-his-own-success-story-ng-b88893695z
Tom Lee is a versatile KPP, can play both ends, had a few seasons with St Kilda and now in the WAFL.

Midfield depth is interesting. Again well served by existing, but we just delisted our most promising depth. As others have mentioned, Sandover medallist Jye Bolton is the WAFL standout. Is he too old for a 2nd chance at AFL?
Tommy Sheridan has been axed by the muppets. Presumably they believe he can't regain his pace, but if he could he's quite versatile.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-23/delisted-freo-onballer-hopes-for-a-lifeline

At the other end, its a bit harder to get a read on how our youngsters are doing. Especially as the game evolves. Is there still a need for the 1on1 defender?
Jesse Glass-McCasker has returned home after failing to crack a game in 3 years on Carltank's list.
Hugh Goddard has been delisted by the saints after 4 injury plagued years.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: Going Back-to-Back? - Do we need depth? / MATURE Draftee

Postby Perrythegreat on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:39 am

I like Menzel. It’s a risk, but with Le Cras and Karpany out the door, we have little depth as you mention.

I’d take a punt on Menzel if he nominated for the draft and we could get with our last pick.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby jourgo on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:49 am

Perrythegreat wrote:I’d take a punt on Menzel if he nominated for the draft and we could get with our last pick.

Hell yeah! As a speculative late pick it'd be a no-brainer.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:43 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-25/f ... cat-menzel
jourgo wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:I’d take a punt on Menzel if he nominated for the draft and we could get with our last pick.

We don't need to wait for the draft, we can take him as a delisted Free Agent. The first DFA period starts next week after final list lodgement.
PLUS, as a DFA, Geelong get nothing, so we could send them a nice FU card.

As the article suggests, there's reported to be teams interested, at least we could offer him a shot at a flag.
(Whether we get there, and whether he'd be best 22 if we did, is a big IF, but better chance than going to the Suns.)

Obviously would take a place on our main list, and downside is that it negates our last pick, but I think 76 has no value anyway.

Bit of fan support for the Menzel idea on Social Media.
Ultimately meaningless, but interesting that a lot of people see the potential.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby jourgo on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:36 pm

He is a known quantity and the likelihood of us getting something useful out of him would be much higher than a kid drafted with that pick... sad to say.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-25/five-clubs-showing-interest-in-delisted-cat-menzel
jourgo wrote:

We don't need to wait for the draft, we can take him as a delisted Free Agent. The first DFA period starts next week after final list lodgement.
PLUS, as a DFA, Geelong get nothing, so we could send them a nice FU card.

As the article suggests, there's reported to be teams interested, at least we could offer him a shot at a flag.
(Whether we get there, and whether he'd be best 22 if we did, is a big IF, but better chance than going to the Suns.)

Obviously would take a place on our main list, and downside is that it negates our last pick, but I think 76 has no value anyway.

Bit of fan support for the Menzel idea on Social Media.
Ultimately meaningless, but interesting that a lot of people see the potential.

Would picking up menzel as a DFA affect our FA compo pick for Lycett?
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby domo_the_eagle on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:11 pm

We saw this year we really struggled to score with Kennedy AND Darling out of the team. We're pretty lucky that we have 2 bloody good Key forwards. Many in the comp don't even have 1.

Not sure how we would recruit for a plug and play replacement
domo_the_eagle
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:23 pm

domo_the_eagle wrote:Would picking up menzel as a DFA affect our FA compo pick for Lycett?
Nope.
Delisted players are now a free hit. They can be signed as Free agents, and there is no compo involved.

Compo picks are now locked in.

domo_the_eagle wrote:We saw this year we really struggled to score with Kennedy AND Darling out of the team. We're pretty lucky that we have 2 bloody good Key forwards. Many in the comp don't even have 1.

I'm really hoping M Allen steps up next season.

Shoenmakers is out of contract and apparently out of favour at Hawthorn.
Tommy Lee has done ok back in the WAFL

The other option is to recruit a backup ruck who can also kick goals. Like Strnadica or Loersch.
(I honestly think they'd have more upside than McInnes.)
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Voice of Reason on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
domo_the_eagle wrote:Would picking up menzel as a DFA affect our FA compo pick for Lycett?
Nope.
Delisted players are now a free hit. They can be signed as Free agents, and there is no compo involved.

Compo picks are now locked in.

domo_the_eagle wrote:We saw this year we really struggled to score with Kennedy AND Darling out of the team. We're pretty lucky that we have 2 bloody good Key forwards. Many in the comp don't even have 1.

The other option is to recruit a backup ruck who can also kick goals. Like Strnadica or Loersch.

From what I've seen in the WAFL - no way on Tom Lee, Loersch is huge, but doubt he's mobile enough for AFL and Schoenmakers is really a different type of player (though SupercoachSimmo will know him, so I'd trust his judgement). Not picking up Freo's fourth ruckman.

I suspect the club thinks we're well placed with Oscar Allen and hopes for added size & improvement from Brander next year. If we keep McInnes, I doubt there is space for another biggish almost ruck/almost forward type to wait down at the Reserves for injuries to kick in. If we delist him, maybe, but I don't know who.
Modest in victory
Gracious in defeat
Voice of Reason
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 pm

I don't think there is a ready type plug and play.

What we need is just not be so unlucky as to have both injured at the same time. If one is out we get games into Brander and MAllen. I'd actually like to see us get a few games into both those guys regardless. It is important as Brander looks (early days) as the long term JK replacement.
Waterman is to me a better option than McInnes as an emergency ruck. Even if totally useless he wouldn't be any worse in the ruck and a hell of a lot better as a forward. Or we go for Loersch. Not mobile but at 23 maybe could be worked on? A rookie spot? Let's put it this way. He didn't get an opportunity at GC, but they seem to have a habit of spotting then rotting talent that needs development. And he can go forward.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 pm

MrWoollie wrote:

I don't think there is a ready type plug and play.

What we need is just not be so unlucky as to have both injured at the same time. If one is out we get games into Brander and MAllen. I'd actually like to see us get a few games into both those guys regardless. It is important as Brander looks (early days) as the long term JK replacement.
Waterman is to me a better option than McInnes as an emergency ruck. Even if totally useless he wouldn't be any worse in the ruck and a hell of a lot better as a forward. Or we go for Loersch. Not mobile but at 23 maybe could be worked on? A rookie spot? Let's put it this way. He didn't get an opportunity at GC, but they seem to have a habit of spotting then rotting talent that needs development. And he can go forward.

I wouldn't mind us rookie listing Tyler Kietel. Kicked 50 goals in the WAFL and won the Bernie Naylor Medal for West Perth and at 196cm and only 22 yrs old he could develop in a more professional environment. Give him a year to see how he goes.

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4904
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Voice of Reason wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

From what I've seen in the WAFL - no way on Tom Lee, Loersch is huge, but doubt he's mobile enough for AFL and Schoenmakers is really a different type of player (though SupercoachSimmo will know him, so I'd trust his judgement). Not picking up Freo's fourth ruckman.

I suspect the club thinks we're well placed with Oscar Allen and hopes for added size & improvement from Brander next year. If we keep McInnes, I doubt there is space for another biggish almost ruck/almost forward type to wait down at the Reserves for injuries to kick in. If we delist him, maybe, but I don't know who.
Yeah, TBH its slim pickings on the delisted KPF front, that's why I'm hoping our youngsters develop.
As you say, I'd certainly back Simmo's judgement on Shoemakers, but that's about it.
I only mention Strnadica (who I think was bout their 5th or 6th ruck :twisted: ) because Freo tried to turn him into a forward, so he kicked a few goals for Peel. Similarly with Loersch, in that he's kicked a few in the WAFL.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Streaker wrote:I wouldn't mind us rookie listing Tyler Kietel. Kicked 50 goals in the WAFL and won the Bernie Naylor Medal for West Perth and at 196cm and only 22 yrs old he could develop in a more professional environment. Give him a year to see how he goes. http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4904
I could point out that he's a traitor, and now a garlic muncher, but I suppose that was the downside of the alignment. :evil:

He's an interesting case of what I often observe. We'll persist with young talls, on the basis they take a while to develop, but at the same time there are guys of the same (or similar) age doing a better job in the WAFL, whilst training part-time and holding down a full-time job.
Keitel is a good size for a KPF, and I'd be really interested in seeing what he could do at AFL level.

NB: Not sure it helps, but apparently he's pretty handy with a Javelin. :lol:
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:49 pm

jourgo wrote:He is a known quantity and the likelihood of us getting something useful out of him would be much higher than a kid drafted with that pick... sad to say.

The Menzel Plot is certainly thickening, with media speculation,
and, of all people, Xavier Ellis, coming out in support of Menzel.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Loersch I've never seen, but he was certainly the only bright spot in a disastrous EF season. To kick the goals he did in a team that was getting thrashed every week is something.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading