West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2019 Draft

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Streaker wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-19/your-clubs-first-pick-which-young-guns-will-be-in-the-mix

West Coast Eagles
Pick 46: The Eagles have most bases covered and after landing Tim Kelly, will need to wait until the third round before opening their draft account. But they could try to replace small forward Willie Rioli, who faces a long anti-doping ban, with their draft hand. Kysaiah Pickett, a strong and aggressive small forward who is the nephew of Port Adelaide premiership star Byron, is likely to find a home around this point of the draft. An exciting and eye-catching prospect, particularly with his marking.
Around the mark: Elijah Taylor, Jay Rantall, Dylan Williams

From what I've seen I can't see Pickett lasting this long and I can't see why we would need to take him. Our small forward stocks are quite high. I personally like Riley Garcia but think he too may be gone by our 1st pick although his ACL injury may see him still around the mark. Elijah Taylor is another in the small forward mould. Dylan Williams would be an interesting pick and Rantall would be a good option.

I'm still a bit annoyed we gave up so much in this draft, and whilst I haven't looked at what clubs might be open to, I'm still praying we can trade our pick and that 3rd rounder from the Cats, to get something better in this draft.

If not, there are some decent players often floating around in the 3rd round. But they'll need to play it smart.
I swear, if I hear the phrase "we were surprised he was still available" I'lk lose my shit. This WAS the draft to chase some mids, but I have doubts over what will be available by that point.
I don't see the point in targeting a "Willie Replacement" because unless we go for a mature age, Willie should be back before he cracks the senior team. But that said, this is traditionally the range in which some handy small forwards are taken, including Willie himself.

If available, surely we'd look at Taylor. But who knows.
The other option, worth considering, is trying to pick a KPP to develop. A guy who has the basics, but is still "all arms & legs" and will take a few years to develop.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-19/your-clubs-first-pick-which-young-guns-will-be-in-the-mix

West Coast Eagles
Pick 46: The Eagles have most bases covered and after landing Tim Kelly, will need to wait until the third round before opening their draft account. But they could try to replace small forward Willie Rioli, who faces a long anti-doping ban, with their draft hand. Kysaiah Pickett, a strong and aggressive small forward who is the nephew of Port Adelaide premiership star Byron, is likely to find a home around this point of the draft. An exciting and eye-catching prospect, particularly with his marking.
Around the mark: Elijah Taylor, Jay Rantall, Dylan Williams

From what I've seen I can't see Pickett lasting this long and I can't see why we would need to take him. Our small forward stocks are quite high. I personally like Riley Garcia but think he too may be gone by our 1st pick although his ACL injury may see him still around the mark. Elijah Taylor is another in the small forward mould. Dylan Williams would be an interesting pick and Rantall would be a good option.

I'm still a bit annoyed we gave up so much in this draft, and whilst I haven't looked at what clubs might be open to, I'm still praying we can trade our pick and that 3rd rounder from the Cats, to get something better in this draft.

If not, there are some decent players often floating around in the 3rd round. But they'll need to play it smart.
I swear, if I hear the phrase "we were surprised he was still available" I'lk lose my shit. This WAS the draft to chase some mids, but I have doubts over what will be available by that point.
I don't see the point in targeting a "Willie Replacement" because unless we go for a mature age, Willie should be back before he cracks the senior team. But that said, this is traditionally the range in which some handy small forwards are taken, including Willie himself.

If available, surely we'd look at Taylor. But who knows.
The other option, worth considering, is trying to pick a KPP to develop. A guy who has the basics, but is still "all arms & legs" and will take a few years to develop.

In recent years rucks have tended to be taken later in the draft (or rookie). I guess it will depend in what we do with Brooksby.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I swear, if I hear the phrase "we were surprised he was still available" I'lk lose my shit.

But when *aren't* you losing your shit Dazz ? ;)
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:50 am

Mr Q wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:I swear, if I hear the phrase "we were surprised he was still available" I'lk lose my shit.

But when *aren't* you losing your shit Dazz ? ;)

Two phrases I hate hearing concerning draftees:
"We were Surprised he was still available" and
"He's a Tall that can play anywhere" :lol: :lol:

But yeah I was excited about this draft, but I guess can't have your cake and eat it (unless you're Geelong) and I am thrilled to have Kelly.

Will be interesting to see how the draft period plays out :D
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:42 am

I see Dixon and North have been delisted by Freo who have committed to drafting them as rookies.

Are the players we may be interested in putting on our rookie list? Both have been in the system for a couple of years and would cost very little.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading