West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2019 Draft

Postby Streaker on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 pm

With the injury to Nic Nat it highlights the need for a young ruck and the fact that there is a local lad in Luke Jackson available around our 2nd pick would have our recruiters salivating. Depending on where Sydney end the year and how well Jackson plays over the rest of the year we could get him with Pick 22/23. If he plays well for the rest of the year we may have to use our 1st pick.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/luke- ... 881228942z

Mark Seaby said Jackson was “progressing rapidly” and likened his follow-up work and tackling to that of GWS Giants big man Shane Mumford and Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy. He felt the Willetton Senior High School student had the greatest potential of any ruckman he’d coached in his four years with the WA State 18s program.“His ruck technique has improved, especially his centre-bounce work, the way he’s learning to protect himself at centre bounces,” Seaby said.

“His potential is still a bit unknown because he’s still pretty raw to the game, but athletically he’s got all the attributes needed to excel at the highest level. “His desire to compete is strong enough as well. It’s just a matter of him playing more football and learning the game better.

“I had the privilege of working with (Western Bulldog) Tim English as well. “Tim at the same stage was probably a bit more of an all-rounded footballer because he’d been playing for longer, but Luke’s probably got greater physical attributes than Tim at this stage. “He’s probably got the greatest potential that I’ve seen come through, in terms of where he’s at now and what he can achieve in the future.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 am

Luke Jackson: 22 Disposals 41 Hitouts.
Jaxon Prior (Hurn Replacement): 32 Disposals 4 Tackles, 4 Inside 50s and a goal off half back.
Jeremy Sharp (played Seniors against Peel): 20 Disposals 3 Tackles, 5 Inside 50s and a goal off half back.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Nice. He and Williams will take us well into the next 10 years or so. Fingers crossed.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:05 am

One sneaking under the radar due to doing his ACL is Riley Garcia.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-draft/ ... 881225372z

Worth a top 30 pick but may slip down into the low 40s.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:31 pm

Streaker wrote:JEREMY SHARP
EAST FREMANTLE
187cm 79kg
The 2018 AFL U18s All-Australian is an excellent wingman/half-back flanker who can kill teams with his line-breaking capabilities and can trasition into the midfield. At last year’s AFL U18 Championships, Sharp averaged 18 possessions, four marks, two inside 50s and two rebounding 50s to be one of three bottom-age players to make the All-Australian team.He has taken his game to another level in 2019, playing for East Fremantle’s League team, averaging 14 possessions, five marks, and two tackles. He played a starring role against WAFL League reigning premiers Subiaco in round two with 14 possessions, six marks and a goal. Sharp is always composed with ball in hand, has a penetrating kick and uses his speed and evasive skills to get out of trouble. Could be a replacement for Shannon Hurn/Brad Sheppard in the longer term.

What's the story with Sharp, he seemed to miss a lot of the season, before returning to the Sharks senior team.
Never going to be around for our pick, but looks a likely prospect.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:JEREMY SHARP
EAST FREMANTLE
187cm 79kg
The 2018 AFL U18s All-Australian is an excellent wingman/half-back flanker who can kill teams with his line-breaking capabilities and can trasition into the midfield. At last year’s AFL U18 Championships, Sharp averaged 18 possessions, four marks, two inside 50s and two rebounding 50s to be one of three bottom-age players to make the All-Australian team.He has taken his game to another level in 2019, playing for East Fremantle’s League team, averaging 14 possessions, five marks, and two tackles. He played a starring role against WAFL League reigning premiers Subiaco in round two with 14 possessions, six marks and a goal. Sharp is always composed with ball in hand, has a penetrating kick and uses his speed and evasive skills to get out of trouble. Could be a replacement for Shannon Hurn/Brad Sheppard in the longer term.

What's the story with Sharp, he seemed to miss a lot of the season, before returning to the Sharks senior team.
Never going to be around for our pick, but looks a likely prospect.

Interesting player in that he plays a lot like Jordan Clark for Geelong but there are queries over his disposal efficiency which may see him drop to our 2nd pick. Will start as a Half Back similar to Clark and move into the midfield. Would like Jaxon Prior who is much better by foot and will be later in the draft.

JAXON PRIOR
WEST PERTH
188cm 79kg
https://www.wafl.com.au/player/jaxon-prior
The son of former East Perth, Essendon and West Coast player Michael, Jaxon has been in superb form for the Falcons in their 2019 season. The West Perth vice-captain has proven to be one of the best players in the competition with his elite skill, commanding leadership and great game-awareness, all telling features of his game.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:34 pm

GWS are trying to trade up and get under any bid for Tom Greene.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-19/giants-plot-move-up-the-draft-order-for-academy-jet-but-will-they-get-there-
That's going to be tough, as many consider him a top 5 prospect. Surely Sydney would be looking at having a crack at #4?

If they can't get inside, they might be prepared to go the other way, and trade away #11 or #15 for points?
Or maybe we could offer them a similar deal to Sydney last year: We trade them our next year's i1st round for their #11, then after the bid is made and matched, we trade back #13...
(Assuming we're still alive and haven't given #13 for Kelly that is.)
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm not sold on the whole "sell the farm to get Kelly" story. I think we'd just be giving up too much for that one shot of glory to win a few of the older guys a Premiership.

Kelly would potentially cost us both

29/9/01
198cm/94kg
Western Australia/East Fremantle
Ruckman
August ranking: 14

It was an enormous end to the season for Jackson, who starred in the WAFL colts competition. He averaged 22 disposals, 33.8 hitouts and also chipped in with three goals in the final four rounds of the under-18 season. The All Australian ruckman powered past all his contemporaries to be the best big man in the draft, but it will still be fascinating to see where he gets drafted, given clubs have generally shied away from taking rucks with early picks. Jackson's ability at ground level, his follow-up at the clearances and presence might make them think otherwise.

30/7/01
188cm/85kg
Western Australia/East Fremantle
Defender
August ranking: -

The strong midfielder picked up 30 disposals, laid seven tackles and kicked 2.2 in East Fremantle's final game of the season to cap an impressive year. Rivers likely sits as a second-round pick at the draft, but has his fans a little earlier than that because of his ability to find the ball at the clinches plus can also play across half-back if required.

To me thats too big a price to pay.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:23 pm

Streaker wrote:I'm not sold on the whole "sell the farm to get Kelly" story. I think we'd just be giving up too much for that one shot of glory to win a few of the older guys a Premiership.

For whatever reason, we have struggled to draft and develop (enough) mids over recent years. Without Yeo and Redden we'd be screwed.
And guys we thought were going to make it, like Partington and Mutimer, just haven't. Plus Shuey is 30 next year
If you look to the WAFL, the midfield cupboard is full of hope and promise, but now Masto is gone there's nobody ready to go, unless we give Duggan a crack in the middle again. Hopefully Kelly can fill a need in our midfield, and do it well for another 6 years or so.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Streaker wrote:It was an enormous end to the season for Jackson, who starred in the WAFL colts competition. He averaged 22 disposals, 33.8 hitouts and also chipped in with three goals in the final four rounds of the under-18 season. The All Australian ruckman powered past all his contemporaries to be the best big man in the draft, but it will still be fascinating to see where he gets drafted, given clubs have generally shied away from taking rucks with early picks. Jackson's ability at ground level, his follow-up at the clearances and presence might make them think otherwise.

Maybe it's just me, and I gather there's no so many talented talls in the draft, but I just don't see the early value in Jackson?
Be interested to see his Combine numbers, plus see if he's grown any, cos I feel he's a little small for a modern day ruckman. The heads always talk these guys up, but it still ends up being the same story. They take years to develop. Tim English was overage, and supposedly a 200cm midfielder, but it still took 3 years and the Dogs being desperate for him to get a regular game. And yeah, a midfielder he aint.

No way I would want us to use our first, or even that 2nd round pick on a ruckman.

Rivers, like Jackson, has starred after being held in the Colts. Not really much of a test

Streaker wrote:Would like Jaxon Prior who is much better by foot and will be later in the draft.

JAXON PRIOR
WEST PERTH
188cm 79kg
https://www.wafl.com.au/player/jaxon-prior
The son of former East Perth, Essendon and West Coast player Michael, Jaxon has been in superb form for the Falcons in their 2019 season. The West Perth vice-captain has proven to be one of the best players in the competition with his elite skill, commanding leadership and great game-awareness, all telling features of his game.
Is he any good?
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Streaker wrote:I'm not sold on the whole "sell the farm to get Kelly" story. I think we'd just be giving up too much for that one shot of glory to win a few of the older guys a Premiership.

[/quote]
Me neither.

He's 25, so at most a 7 year, 150 gamer who plays as 3rd or 4th mid at Geelong. Doesn't get tagged, has time and space because everyone is concentrating on Dangerfield, Duncan, Selwood, Ablett etc. I actually have a bit of a sneaky 'hope he re-signs at Geelong' thought train occasionally. I'd rather this than sell the farm.
Note - best option = we get him for a low price, 2nd best = we pay a fair price (1 x first rounder or 2 x 2nd rounder), 3rd best = Muppets pay 2 x top 10 picks + a player on a $million a year 7 year deal, 4th best = he stays where he is, worst = we 'pay the farm'.
The alternatives are 12 year 250+ game possibles if we can get a Robertson etc.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:45 pm

So how many places do you think we can reasonably fill? (Excluding Cat B's)

We've delisted 2, and there's another 6 I'd like to see move along. We've yet to see if Schofield gets offered something better, so that could be 9 places to fill...
Kelly would fill one, but might cost us two good picks. Leaves me thinking we might have to get creative and look at some free-agents and "outside the box" rookies.

Last year we filled 8 spots
The previous year 11
and the year before 8
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:12 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:So how many places do you think we can reasonably fill? (Excluding Cat B's)

We've delisted 2, and there's another 6 I'd like to see move along. We've yet to see if Schofield gets offered something better, so that could be 9 places to fill...
Kelly would fill one, but might cost us two good picks. Leaves me thinking we might have to get creative and look at some free-agents and "outside the box" rookies.

The previous year 11
and the year before 8

We currently have two vacancies on our senior list after the Masten departure (we have only had 39 on our senior list over the past two years - we're permitted 40). If we retain a 39 player senior list this year then we have one rookie vacancy with McInnes departing otherwise we have the four rookie spots currently filled (unless we have some Cat Bs in our sights).

With the money that Kelly will demand, I suspect we will go with a 39 senior list again this year.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:02 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:So how many places do you think we can reasonably fill? (Excluding Cat B's)

The previous year 11
and the year before 8

We currently have two vacancies on our senior list after the Masten departure (we have only had 39 on our senior list over the past two years - we're permitted 40). If we retain a 39 player senior list this year then we have one rookie vacancy with McInnes departing otherwise we have the four rookie spots currently filled (unless we have some Cat Bs in our sights).

Schofield I hope stays, but he's a FA so I guess they will wait and see.
To date I am surprised that a couple of rookies remain on our list, but there's still time. Plus I think they may hinge on what happens in trade week.

I hope the Kelly trade gets resolved (one way or another) quickly, because a lot will hinge on the outcome.
If money's tight, and we give up out good picks, we may drop back to 38 and fill the rookie list.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:37 pm

I'd like to see us pass on Kelly and go hard in the draft.

13: Trent Rivers
22: Cooper Stephens
31: Elijah Taylor
59: Mitchell Georgiades
Rookie: Riley Garcia
Rookie: Jaxon Prior
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading