Friday November 1 - Monday November 11

Wednesday November 13 - 5pm Friday November 22

2019 AFL draft
First round: 7pm - 9.30pm Wednesday November 27

Second round onwards: 7pm - 9.30pm Thursday November 28

2019 AFL preseason and rookie drafts
Thursday November 28

List Lodgements
2pm Thursday October 31 (First Lodgement)

2pm Tuesday November 12 (Second Lodgement)

2pm Monday December 2 (Final Lodgement)
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 2019 Draft

Postby Wombat on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:54 am

Wombat
Rookie

Postby jourgo on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:55 am

Wombat wrote:Sept 30
Suns get their own draft.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-09- ... tion=sport

OK. So what happens when this doesn't work either, they're still dead last in 3 years time, players are still falling over themselves to get the hell out of there and they're getting sub 10000 crowds to home games?

I know the AFL has a shitload invested in this debacle but even they would have to know there is a time to cut your losses.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Streaker wrote:AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2019

Restricted and unrestricted free agency window
Friday October 4 - 5pm Thursday October 10

Delisted free agency windows

I don' understand why we delisted Masto
Can he still be taken in the first FA period, or must he now wait for the delisted period.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:

Can he still be taken in the first FA period, or must he now wait for the delisted period.

I will eat my hat if Masto is offered a contract elsewhere either as a Free Agent or otherwise.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Streaker wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:

I will eat my hat if Masto is offered a contract elsewhere either as a Free Agent or otherwise.

If he gets a few more tats, and regrows his ponytail, he'd fit right in at GC.

But if indeed nobody else wants him, then he should have been allowed to retire
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:36 am

I think we are too focused on getting Tim Kelly. I'd argue that we need a ruckman for the long term before a midfielder for the short term. We can pick up a very good midfielder at 14 and a decent midfielder this year with picks 24 and 33. Naitanui goes down and we're proverbially rooted.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Streaker wrote:I think we are too focused on getting Tim Kelly. I'd argue that we need a ruckman for the long term before a midfielder for the short term. We can pick up a very good midfielder at 14 and a decent midfielder this year with picks 24 and 33. Naitanui goes down and we're proverbially rooted.

Watching the WAFL team this year has convinced me that some of the shelves in our development cupboard are very bare.
It seems all of our young forwards are already playing AFL, which I guess is ok. (But makes it a bit hard to kick a score in the WAFL)
And we are also putting a lot of eggs in the Brander basket.
But our "midfield" cupboard is spectacularly bare.
Brayshaw shows promise, but has not been offered a contract. Ainsworth has struggled with injury and will need to have a breakout season next year.
This should be the draft to hopefully grab some midfield talent. Maybe even a small forward/mid.
Elijah Taylor might slip to pick #33.
so I really don't want us giving that all up for Kelly. I really, really hope we can use future picks
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:52 pm

I've thought about this long and hard.

I reckon we throw a lot to get Kelly.

A midfield of Shuey, Kelly, Yeo, Sheed and Redden, along with youngsters developing is just frightening.

I take your point Daz that the midfield stocks look light, but there are plenty of guys playing other roles because they can't crack a gig. Guys like Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Petrucelle, not to mention the likes of M.Allen, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, who personally I think are coming along, and were touted as midfielders. Xavier O'neill, Foley also are young and need another year or two to see if they have it.

You just have to look at Sheed to see how a guy can turn from mediocre to AFL standard or above very quickly.

I've heard others question Kelly's real talent given he was behind Danger, Selwood, Ablett. I don't see that changing with him being in our midfield. Tag Kelly and Shuey, Yeo gets loose. It is not quite at Geelong's level, but is not far behind in my opinion.

I've also read that this years draft pool is not deep in depth, and if you are out of the top 6 you're already into "lucky draw". Given that, trade away this years top picks to secure a proven talent. 4th in the Brownlow, 2nd in B&F 2 years running is no fluke.

Get him in, dont pay too much over, but he would be a great fit.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:I've thought about this long and hard.

A midfield of Shuey, Kelly, Yeo, Sheed and Redden, along with youngsters developing is just frightening.

I take your point Daz that the midfield stocks look light, but there are plenty of guys playing other roles because they can't crack a gig. Guys like Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Petrucelle, not to mention the likes of M.Allen, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, who personally I think are coming along, and were touted as midfielders. Xavier O'neill, Foley also are young and need another year or two to see if they have it.

You just have to look at Sheed to see how a guy can turn from mediocre to AFL standard or above very quickly.

I've heard others question Kelly's real talent given he was behind Danger, Selwood, Ablett. I don't see that changing with him being in our midfield. Tag Kelly and Shuey, Yeo gets loose. It is not quite at Geelong's level, but is not far behind in my opinion.

I've also read that this years draft pool is not deep in depth, and if you are out of the top 6 you're already into "lucky draw". Given that, trade away this years top picks to secure a proven talent. 4th in the Brownlow, 2nd in B&F 2 years running is no fluke.

Let's be real, Geelong's "2nd in B&F" lost ALL credibility when they gave it to him last year. If he was the 2nd best player at Geelong last season, then I expect them to take me in the next Draft.
Now, surprise surprise, they give it to him again. ROFL. At least they had the decency to not trash the award completely.

As for the Brownlow, meh, there are a lot of problems with that voting system. It also reflects familiarity bias.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:I've thought about this long and hard.

The biggest problem is that we don't have youngsters developing. Guys like Duggan, Nelson and Cole aren't even getting a gig in the midfield at WAFL level simply because they aren't midfield material. How long did we persist with Duggan in the centre? Cole struggled to be included in the team at all this year and Nelson is only used when we have a lot of injuries. M.Allen, Ainsworth and Brayshaw are all candidates for delisting this year.

This years draft is a very good draft to have a pick in the top 25. The top 10 isn't as strong as last year but the players from 5 - 25 are very even. Next years draft will be compromised by the fact that so many clubs have NGA players that have a lot of talent.

I'd happily give our 1st two picks in this years draft to Geelong if they sent back their pick 36. In a draft that could cost us two midfielders such as a Deven Robertson @ pick 14 (who could play next season) and a Trent Rivers @ pick 24 I'd be reluctant to throw away our future for an outside chance at glory next year.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Streaker wrote:
Perrythegreat wrote:I take your point Daz that the midfield stocks look light, but there are plenty of guys playing other roles because they can't crack a gig. Guys like Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Petrucelle, not to mention the likes of M.Allen, Ainsworth, Brayshaw, who personally I think are coming along, and were touted as midfielders. Xavier O'neill, Foley also are young and need another year or two to see if they have it.

I've also read that this years draft pool is not deep in depth, and if you are out of the top 6 you're already into "lucky draw". Given that, trade away this years top picks to secure a proven talent.

The biggest problem is that we don't have youngsters developing. Guys like Duggan, Nelson and Cole aren't even getting a gig in the midfield at WAFL level simply because they aren't midfield material. How long did we persist with Duggan in the centre? Cole struggled to be included in the team at all this year and Nelson is only used when we have a lot of injuries. M.Allen, Ainsworth and Brayshaw are all candidates for delisting this year.

This years draft is a very good draft to have a pick in the top 25. The top 10 isn't as strong as last year but the players from 5 - 25 are very even. Next years draft will be compromised by the fact that so many clubs have NGA players that have a lot of talent.

I'd happily give our 1st two picks in this years draft to Geelong if they sent back their pick 36. In a draft that could cost us two midfielders such as a Deven Robertson @ pick 14 (who could play next season) and a Trent Rivers @ pick 24 I'd be reluctant to throw away our future for an outside chance at glory next year.

Need to careful about classifying this as a weak draft.
Without any joke, that is simply the Melbournian viewpoint, which may be echoed by others in ignorance.
Yes it's a very weak and shallow contingent from Melbourne, which in truth does normally supply the bulk of the draft. It's Rowell, Anderson, then daylight.
But so what? A few less spoilt mummies' boys from Melbourne Private Schools is probably a good thing. There's plenty of talent on offer from the rest of Australia. In fact this probably works to our advantage as the Melbourne clubs will work ever harder to unearth talent. I think there will be plenty of talent to choose from in the 1st two rounds.
Obviously we're not going to get the super stars with our picks, but we should get some decent talent with plenty of upside.
Importantly there are some WA boys worth looking at, and even the proliferation of Vic Country boys are less likely to have the go home factor.

Naturally we can't have our cake and eat it too, but given the choice I would prefer to improve our standing in this draft, rather than trade it all away.

I am more convinced than ever of our need to target mids in this years draft.
Our best mid in the WAFL, Brayshaw, is currently without a contract. That's the state of our reserves.
Last year was a crap draft for Mids. We knew that and had already traded away our 1st rounder, and then traded our Lycett pick backwards.
Next Draft is already highlighted as being the most compromised in history, so its unlikely we'll do well there.
We're also in a unique position with Robertson, to be able to assess his potential and development. (I'd really love to have a crystal ball and be able to see what pick we'll need to get him.)
With his shoulder he might slip further.

And with Willie uncertain, getting Elijah should be a priority
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 pm

MelbourneBased wrote:Listening to Mr Vozzo https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news ... 2019....we could be using both picks.
But…. With only 1 of 3 senior players confirmed leaving the club, and we trade to get down to pick 46, a decision must be imminent on one player to either delisted or being pushed down to the rookie list.

I think Brander or Mutimer.... is that player, I think Brayshaw will be held on for longer for political reasons..

At the end of the day we must take 3 picks in the National Draft.
Since we currently have 39 players on the senior list, we must free up at least two more spots.

Our first pick we'll look to pick up a straggler. Somebody not too bad who nobody else fancied.

After that we have a choice: We use a ND pick to draft a new player, or use the ND pick to upgrade a Rookie, then take somebody in the Rookie Draft.
The advantage of using the picks to upgrade rookies is threefold:
1) a player subsequently taken in the rookie draft need only get a one year contract (unless that rule has changed?) vs 2 years for the ND
2) we can also simply pick up our own delisted player. Ah Chee and even Schofield would be candidates for that.
3) We don't have to fill all the rookie spots. We can hold spot(s) open for the supplemental period, and the mid-season draft.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 pm

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west- ... 881355917z

Watson upgraded from the rookie list on a one year contract and Schofield re-signed for a year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-17/ ... every-club

Brendon Ah Chee has an offer on the table.
Last edited by Mr Q on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resigned and re-signed are two quite different things :)
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:18 am

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-19/ ... in-the-mix

West Coast Eagles

Pick 46: The Eagles have most bases covered and after landing Tim Kelly, will need to wait until the third round before opening their draft account. But they could try to replace small forward Willie Rioli, who faces a long anti-doping ban, with their draft hand. Kysaiah Pickett, a strong and aggressive small forward who is the nephew of Port Adelaide premiership star Byron, is likely to find a home around this point of the draft. An exciting and eye-catching prospect, particularly with his marking.

Around the mark: Elijah Taylor, Jay Rantall, Dylan Williams

From what I've seen I can't see Pickett lasting this long and I can't see why we would need to take him. Our small forward stocks are quite high. I personally like Riley Garcia but think he too may be gone by our 1st pick although his ACL injury may see him still around the mark. Elijah Taylor is another in the small forward mould. Dylan Williams would be an interesting pick and Rantall would be a good option.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading