West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2019 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Perrythegreat on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:25 pm

I think the Hallejuah comment from Crazy Daz was only a reference to a lot of people have thought we needed to move Fraser on for some time. No slight on him, just a list management quirk where he has stayed on for a long time, which I've yet to find too many people that disagree that he should be off the list, and probably 2-3 years ago to be fair.

It is a really unusual situation, and I find it bizarre that Fraser had as big an article written on him as life member, premiership player and 212 game Chris Masten. I get the point that he was an amazing club man, and I am certain he has done more behind the scenes than we will ever know.

In this cut throat business, I've often thought we've moved players on too early (Partington, Wellingham, Koby Stevens, Rosa, Lamb, Bennell spring to mind, or going way back Woosha and even Masten now) and we sometimes keep some for a long time with no apparent reason (McInness, McGinnity, Tunbridge, M.Allen).

Most of the ones we've jettisoned early have not come back to bite us (well all I can think of anyway). But I can't think of any that we've kept that have come good. I'm certainly hoping M.Allen proves this wrong.

Us as fans, are entitled to have our opinions on players. I don't think Crazy Daz was meaning the comment as a slight on Fraser, just an audible agreement to the list decision.

Anyway, we've cut a few now, so be interesting to see what Darren Glass has up his sleeve.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby farmer joe on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:24 pm

Pinion King wrote:
It takes a lot of loyalty to stay on a list for 8 years

Loyalty? He was paid the whole time. For most of it, probably at a rate much greater, or at least similar, than he will receive over the next few years.

Good luck to him I say. I admire his ability to stay on the list and around the club but being able to do that had nothing to do with being loyal.
farmer joe
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:39 pm

farmer joe wrote:
Pinion King wrote:
It takes a lot of loyalty to stay on a list for 8 years

Loyalty? He was paid the whole time. For most of it, probably at a rate much greater, or at least similar, than he will receive over the next few years.

Good luck to him I say. I admire his ability to stay on the list and around the club but being able to do that had nothing to do with being loyal.

I think you can be loyal and get paid at the same time.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:34 pm

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-02/ ... l-imminent

WEST Coast backman Will Schofield and midfielder Brendon Ah Chee are set to remain in blue and gold in 2020. AFL.com.au understands the pair are on track to sign one-year contract extensions, as the Eagles work through their list ahead of the Telstra AFL Trade Period.

Four-gamer Kurt Mutimer, plus yet-to-debut onballers Hamish Brayshaw and Matthew Allen, and mature rookies Josh Smith and Keegan Brooksby are understood to remain unsigned.

Premiership wingman Chris Masten, tall Fraser McInnes and category B rookies Brodie Riach and Patrick Bines have departed the club.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:54 am

Streaker wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-02/milestone-looms-for-veteran-eagle-with-oneyear-deal-imminent

WEST Coast backman Will Schofield and midfielder Brendon Ah Chee are set to remain in blue and gold in 2020. AFL.com.au understands the pair are on track to sign one-year contract extensions, as the Eagles work through their list ahead of the Telstra AFL Trade Period.

Four-gamer Kurt Mutimer, plus yet-to-debut onballers Hamish Brayshaw and Matthew Allen, and mature rookies Josh Smith and Keegan Brooksby are understood to remain unsigned.

Premiership wingman Chris Masten, tall Fraser McInnes and category B rookies Brodie Riach and Patrick Bines have departed the club.

Good news to have Schofield and Ah Chee remain.

I assume some of the others we will resign and others be delisted but first we will attempt give them an opportunity to move to a new club. Would like to keep Brayshaw, Matthew Allen and even Brooksby but they would get games at some clubs I reckon and could be found to be diamonds while they likely play WAFL with us.

Hope Masten gets a club next year, he would make most other teams below us better and he is an excellent on field leader; understands the game. McInnes has been a perfect club man and played his part in a strong club culture, might have been lucky to get longer on the list than some expected but injury and a new WAFL team made him handy depth so good for him and I reckon worth thanks that he stayed.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain ‚Äď fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/westcoasteagle ... 38_of_his/

Kurt Mutimer had taken his "WCE 38" of his Instagram bio. Delisted?
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Streaker wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/westcoasteagles/comments/de0nip/kurt_mutimer_had_taken_his_wce_38_of_his/

Kurt Mutimer had taken his "WCE 38" of his Instagram bio. Delisted?

Watching him in the WAFL, in the last few weeks he was playing like a guy who already knew his fate.

4 years on the list was enough.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Errr, what team is he talking about?
https://mde.whooshkaa.com/show/9121/episode/443496.mp3

Some points I agree with, some are just plain weird.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:They isn't a long list of players they want to delist and Masten had to go for Kelly. So happy enough.

There's about another half dozen players that NEED to be gone.
And then we need to take 3 live picks in the draft.

At this point, I'd be trying to trade some of those guys for 3rd or 4th round picks, then try to package them all up and get at least one pick in the 2nd round.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 am

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ct_players
Out of Contract 2019

Chris Masten - Unrestricted Free Agent
Fraser McInnes - Restricted Free Agent
Hamish Brayshaw - Non-Free Agent
Josh Smith - Pending Update
Keegan Brooksby - Non-Free Agent
Kurt Mutimer - Non-Free Agent
Matthew Allen - Non-Free Agent
Tom Hickey - Pending Update

You'd say Mutimer is gone which means that if we don't trade out a player, 2 of the others have to go as well. Hickey you would say is safe and I'm not sure why Josh Smith has "pending update" beside his name. That means Brayshaw, Smith, Brooksby and Allen are in the gun at the moment. Brooksby is only a Rookie so that leaves just 3.

With us having Picks #52, 64 and 108 we'd be struggling to replace the 3 we have to delist. I'd say we'd be looking at delisting Smith, Allen and Mutimer with us using pick 52 in the draft and upgrading Watson and maybe Edwards.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:22 am

Streaker wrote:You'd say Mutimer is gone which means that if we don't trade out a player, 2 of the others have to go as well. Hickey you would say is safe and I'm not sure why Josh Smith has "pending update" beside his name. That means Brayshaw, Smith, Brooksby and Allen are in the gun at the moment. Brooksby is only a Rookie so that leaves just 3.

With us having Picks #52, 64 and 108 we'd be struggling to replace the 3 we have to delist. I'd say we'd be looking at delisting Smith, Allen and Mutimer with us using pick 52 in the draft and upgrading Watson and maybe Edwards.

We need to trade (or delist) at least one of our rucks. I'd suggest Mutimer and Allen are in the same boat. Be good if we could trade a bag of crap picks for one half-decent one. It depends how clubs like GWS and Freo are situated, as they are limited in how many picks they can take into the draft, so its not as easy to use a bag of crap to pay for their players.

We should also trade one of Cole, Duggan, or Nelson. Whether we will or not remains to be seen.

As it stands, we'll have one pick to use on some straggler, and then upgrade Watson and Edwards. We can go one more on our Senior List, which means that in theory we need only delist 2. I'd suggest Mutimer is gone, and we could delist Ah Chee then pick him up as a Rookie.
I'm wondering if we have our eye on anyone for the supplemental period?

I also wonder if it might be a good move to keep a rookie slot open for the mid-season draft?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am

Streaker wrote:Tom Hickey - Pending Update

Hickey still has 2 years left on his contract. Vozzo confirmed yesterday.

He also mentioned both Ah Chee and Schofield has been offered new 1 year contracts.

McInnes is supposedly staying to play as a top up player with the WAFL Eagles.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Streaker wrote:https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/eagles-premiership-defender-will-schofield-to-play-on-in-2020-after-earning-one-year-contract-extension-ng-b881355917z

Watson upgraded from the rookie list on a one year contract and Schofield resigned for a year.

Well deserved and happy with both those. Our defence still looks better with Schoey in it. Hopefully he cracks 200 and retires a champion.
Watson continues to show promise.
Streaker wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-17/who-needs-a-contract-players-left-in-limbo-from-every-club

Brendon Ah Chee has an offer on the table.

I don't understand, unless they're worried about not having anyone to delist next year?
Why would we delist Masten but keep Ah Chee? He's been spudding up AFL lists now for 8 years, and never even looked close to AFL quality. He's not even any good at WAFL level, and he's just not going to get any better.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:44 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/eagles-premiership-defender-will-schofield-to-play-on-in-2020-after-earning-one-year-contract-extension-ng-b881355917z

Watson upgraded from the rookie list on a one year contract and Schofield resigned for a year.

Well deserved and happy with both those. Our defence still looks better with Schoey in it. Hopefully he cracks 200 and retires a champion.
Watson continues to show promise.
Streaker wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-17/who-needs-a-contract-players-left-in-limbo-from-every-club

Brendon Ah Chee has an offer on the table.

I don't understand, unless they're worried about not having anyone to delist next year?
Why would we delist Masten but keep Ah Chee? He's been spudding up AFL lists now for 8 years, and never even looked close to AFL quality. He's not even any good at WAFL level, and he's just not going to get any better.

Ah Chee is on basic money plus match payments. If we can get a better experienced player cheaper then go for it, otherwise we stick with him. He’s depth. There are likely two more to go, probably Allen and Mutimer.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Fat Side wrote:Ah Chee is on basic money plus match payments. If we can get a better experienced player cheaper then go for it, otherwise we stick with him. He’s depth. There are likely two more to go, probably Allen and Mutimer.

I tend to be a "Rip the Bandaid Off" kind of guy. And also very proactive and pragmatic.
If there's a problem ahead, or a loss looming, I prefer to tackle them head on, get them sorted, and move on.
In my job, they're actually good traits. But personnel issues are different.
If I were a list manger, not sure if I would be able to balance it correctly.
Plus, I think I have spent too much time working with Exploration Geologists. I'm naturally pessimistic, and my optimism is reserved for the unknown: The grass is always greener, and the next hole may be the big one so keep drilling.

In all honestly, I'm in two minds on my opinion on how the club should proceed this time around. IMHO we have players that are just going nowhere and should be delisted. But on the other we are reduced to rubbish picks, the Rookie Draft, and delisted players. Slim pickings to be sure. Going to be interesting to see what happens.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading