West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 Trade Targets

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2019 Trade Targets

Postby Streaker on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 pm

The player on everyones lips would be Tim Kelly but how do we pay for him and is it worth taking an at any cost attitude to the trade table? It's no secret that we need to be looking at midfield talent and Kelly goes a long way to addressing a glaring deficiency. Last year Geelong wanted the farm, this year they want the farm the tractor and probably a sheep or two. Do we have what is required? They'll probably want Brander along with our 1st 3 picks and I don't see Kelly being worth that much to us. Yes he is uncontracted and could walk to the PSD but would we get him if that happened? Probably not.

Another player out of contract who would be on our wish list (and everyone elses) would be Stephen Coniglio. GWS are rumoured to be under severe Salary Cap strain and needing to offload a player or two to provide relief. Carlton, Hawthorn, Geelong and West Coast are allegedly chasing him. Geelong will probably offer whatever we give them (supposing we do) for Kelly and Hawthorn would offer their 1st 2 picks which are higher than ours, Carltons or Geelongs. Do we go after Coniglio rather than Kelly? Do we trade something of value to GWS to get Coniglio? What/Who would that be? Being a Restricted Free Agent complicates things for GWS and it depends on who has the salary cap space required.

Jack Martin from the Suns is also out of contract. Does seem to be interested in a trade to Victoria but should we miss on Kelly and Coniglio he'd be worth a shot.

One out of left field might be Nakia Cockatoo. Out of Contract and has a certain x factor when he's on the ground.

Another player coming out of contract and looking to come home would be Darcy Cameron from Sydney. He certainly meets a need and could come quite cheaply. A swap of picks in the 2nd round might do it, after all we did help them out last year.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 2019 Trade Targets

Postby Perrythegreat on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Cameron is an interesting one.

We need a developing ruckman, as Hickey, NN, Vardy and Brooksby are all getting on. Bailey Williams appears to be doing pretty well when swung into the ruck at WAFL level, and is young. Cameron might be worth a punt, as was impressed with him when at Claremont.

Coniglio, if there is anyway we can get him, we should do it. Even Brander would be on the table for him.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:01 pm

Interesting question.

Never say never I suppose, but I don't see Kelly leaving Geelong.
Everything he has said recently suggests he's out for the biggest pay day (can't blame him) and nobody can match Geelong's brown paper bags.

Plus, the problem we have in any deal, both to the player and the club, is outbidding the muppets.
Overpaying in trade deals is practically their religion.

Coniglio is a Free Agent, so it just comes down to who offer him the best deal.
The "best" deal might involve staying at GWS to finish what he started, or it could just be a huge payday from one of the stupid Melbourne clubs.
Our only hope is some kind of "come home" factor, but I've not heard anything about that.

Whilst any boost to the midfield is always welcome and needed, I think we should also be on the lookout for a readymade KPF
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 am

I'd love to have Shaun Higgins play for the Eagles. I doubt it, but if he wanted two years I'd give it to him. Great ball user.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:25 pm

DALBY wrote:I'd love to have Shaun Higgins play for the Eagles. I doubt it, but if he wanted two years I'd give it to him. Great ball user.

I'm not sure that trading for a 32 year old is worth it. We would have to part with a 2nd - 3rd round pick.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Fat Side wrote:
DALBY wrote:I'd love to have Shaun Higgins play for the Eagles. I doubt it, but if he wanted two years I'd give it to him. Great ball user.

I'm not sure that trading for a 32 year old is worth it. We would have to part with a 2nd - 3rd round pick.

At 33 next year it's get for free or take a pass. When you are only getting someone for a declining year or two then no.

Even for free you are denying games to someone else. There are exceptions. Sam Mitchell, but only because he was going into the coaching role. He was a great ball user with it, but a liability when the opposition had it due to his lack of pace. We don't need someone like that right now.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:10 am

I don't suppose he'd have fond memories of Optus, but would we have a go at Matt Guelfi?

Or what about Brendon's younger brother Callum Ah Chee? He can't be having much fun at the Sins.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:I don't suppose he'd have fond memories of Optus, but would we have a go at Matt Guelfi?

Or what about Brendon's younger brother Callum Ah Chee? He can't be having much fun at the Sins.

Ah Chee would be huge if we could get him. He's on good quids at GC so might price us out of the market.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:I don't suppose he'd have fond memories of Optus, but would we have a go at Matt Guelfi?

Ah Chee would be huge if we could get him. He's on good quids at GC so might price us out of the market.

But other the other hand, our club isn't a rancid turd being laughed at by the whole of Australia. So there's that.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:07 am

Out of Contract

Adam Tomlinson, Out of Contract Restricted Free Agent and the perfect replacement for Schofield. Can play forward, back or midfield.

Nakia Cockatoo, Out of Contract. More talented than Tim Kelly but can't get onto the park because of injury and only 22 years old. Wouldn't cost as much as Cogs or Kelly. Be interesting to see what Geelong would want,

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen, Out of Contract Restricted Free Agent. Could be used as a larger bodied tagger as a way of releasing Yeo more when playing against the likes of Cripps and Bontempelli. Could be had rather cheap I'd think.

Zachary Sproule, Young GWS player who kicks a few goals in the NEAFL. Give Kennedy a year to teach him where to lead and he could be a great pickup if he can just keep his pants on.

https://www.neafl.com.au/season/players/998225
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 am

Streaker wrote:Out of Contract

Adam Tomlinson, Out of Contract Restricted Free Agent and the perfect replacement for Schofield. Can play forward, back or midfield.

Nakia Cockatoo, Out of Contract. More talented than Tim Kelly but can't get onto the park because of injury and only 22 years old. Wouldn't cost as much as Cogs or Kelly. Be interesting to see what Geelong would want,

Cameron Ellis-Yolmen, Out of Contract Restricted Free Agent. Could be used as a larger bodied tagger as a way of releasing Yeo more when playing against the likes of Cripps and Bontempelli. Could be had rather cheap I'd think.

Zachary Sproule, Young GWS player who kicks a few goals in the NEAFL. Give Kennedy a year to teach him where to lead and he could be a great pickup if he can just keep his pants on.

Would love to get Any of the top 3 really.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:53 am

I'd take a punt on Cockatoo, if he's delisted, or we can get him for a bag of crisps.
But his chances of a meaningful AFL career appear very slim. Dodgy hammies, that will probably never get right.

I don't think CEY will leave the Crows, and would be kinda disappointed if he did. But yes would be worth having for depth if he did. Still in his prime and really just getting started. Could in time be a replacement for some of our older players.

Tomlinson I don't know, I can see him wanting more than he's worth.
NB: According to the AFL, they are both unrestricted. (I doubt they would be in the top 25%)
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:56 am

Streaker wrote:Out of Contract

Cockatoo was a player we were very interested in at the time of the draft. He went before our first pick and, I believe we would have taken him had he been available. Tomlinson would be very handy (well worth considering although from Victoria)
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:I'd take a punt on Cockatoo, if he's delisted, or we can get him for a bag of crisps.
But his chances of a meaningful AFL career appear very slim. Dodgy hammies, that will probably never get right.

I don't think CEY will leave the Crows, and would be kinda disappointed if he did. But yes would be worth having for depth if he did. Still in his prime and really just getting started. Could in time be a replacement for some of our older players.

Cockatoo will not be delisted. Geelong have high hopes for him.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Fat Side wrote:Cockatoo will not be delisted. Geelong have high hopes for him.
Every player gets delisted eventually. :lol:
If they put a high value on him, then he's not worth it. Unlikely he ever gets on the paddock fulltime.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading