11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 Trade Targets

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2019 Trade Targets

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:17 pm

I see Selwood is back on the list.
After we kick their arse in the GF, I hope we make him an offer. Minimum Salary, he can come and player in the WAFL :twisted:
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:I see Selwood is back on the list.
After we kick their arse in the GF, I hope we make him an offer. Minimum Salary, he can come and player in the WAFL :twisted:

Hasn't gone on to be the player we thought he'd be. His brother Adam was the better Selwood for West Coast and thats saying something.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MrWoollie on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Streaker wrote:Hasn't gone on to be the player we thought he'd be. His brother Adam was the better Selwood for West Coast and thats saying something.

It's actually ended being pretty easy to rank the Selwoods.

Joel,
Adam,
Scott,
Troy.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Zach Sproule gets his first game for GWS . Worth watching.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mr Q on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 pm

It's always been difficult for the Eagles looking at big targets, because we're in the same state as Fremantle, who are always willing to pay the kitchen sink to get that big name onto their list, particularly if it's a big name coming home to WA. That's why we have Cripps and Yeo, and they have Lobbe and McCarthy.

Hence on the remote chance that Coniglio wanted WA, the Dockers would offer their draft picks from now until 2030 to get him, while we'd offer a bag of crisps. With Tim Kelly (who might still want to come home), we can't get past the fact that the Dockers will have a top-ten pick to entice Geelong with, which we don't. Even if he outright said "Eagles or bust", I suspect that Geelong wouldn't come to that party, and say "if you really want to be in Perth, there's this purple club we're going to trade with". It's what I'd say if I was looking at trading a big name to WA, because I'd know that historically Freo pay better, despite the long term results.

Big game hunting in trade week hasn't really had a lot of luck. The clubs that engage in it usually don't get anywhere - except maybe Geelong, who work things like FA until every other club hates them with a passion at trade time because they get away with paying peanuts. The best trading strategy is to look for the diamonds in the rough - sure a lot of them turn out to be coal, but then you get players like Cripps, or Yeo (or even Redden). Or look at how Sydney have been able to hold up for so long (of course they still had Franklin in, which IMO long term is costing them).
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby DALBY on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Streaker wrote:Zach Sproule gets his first game for GWS . Worth watching.

Not the greatest start, hope he keeps his spot this week.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Mr Q wrote:It's always been difficult for the Eagles looking at big targets, because we're in the same state as Fremantle, who are always willing to pay the kitchen sink to get that big name onto their list, particularly if it's a big name coming home to WA. That's why we have Cripps and Yeo, and they have Lobbe and McCarthy.

Hence on the remote chance that Coniglio wanted WA, the Dockers would offer their draft picks from now until 2030 to get him, while we'd offer a bag of crisps. With Tim Kelly (who might still want to come home), we can't get past the fact that the Dockers will have a top-ten pick to entice Geelong with, which we don't. Even if he outright said "Eagles or bust", I suspect that Geelong wouldn't come to that party, and say "if you really want to be in Perth, there's this purple club we're going to trade with". It's what I'd say if I was looking at trading a big name to WA, because I'd know that historically Freo pay better, despite the long term results.

Big game hunting in trade week hasn't really had a lot of luck. The clubs that engage in it usually don't get anywhere - except maybe Geelong, who work things like FA until every other club hates them with a passion at trade time because they get away with paying peanuts. The best trading strategy is to look for the diamonds in the rough - sure a lot of them turn out to be coal, but then you get players like Cripps, or Yeo (or even Redden). Or look at how Sydney have been able to hold up for so long (of course they still had Franklin in, which IMO long term is costing them).

We don't have to trade for Coniglio unless GWS matches the offer.
Don't get me wrong, even if he somehow magically wanted to come to us, matching is a danger, because I doubt we have the cap space to make a big front-loaded offer like the tank.

Our only shot with Kelly, is if he says "Eagles, or I go in the PSD" and his agent puts massive actual pressure on the Cats to deal with us. Even then, we're looking at giving up some real quality to either make the trade, or get a pick to trade.

I suppose the other tactic, is to hope Kelly does go to the Muppets, wait for them to give up their first born in trade, leaving the way clear for us to go after other players.

Cos you're right. The Muppets are a stupid pain in our arse, always prepared to pay way too much for players they think will be their Messiah. And for a lot of clubs, big game hunting doesn't work.
Free Agency is slightly different, because it costs nothing in trade. But if done wrong like Carltank are offering, its still going to stuff your club up. They're talking about giving 10% of their cap to ONE player, so they can have TWO gun mids, and their team will still be shit.

Sydney screwed themselves over by using the COLA to pay for Buddy, and in so doing triggered the Prictorian outcry that saw the COLA get yanked. What may further shaft them, is that the Gilligan led VaFL may not let them do the dodgy when Buddy hangs up his boots.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:I suppose the other tactic, is to hope Kelly does go to the Muppets, wait for them to give up their first born in trade, leaving the way clear for us to go after other players.

I'd actually be happy with this. They have to keep some currency to pay points for NGA guy Liam Henry who could be a top 10 selection. If they give away their first rounder (and Hill or the 2020 first) then they'll have nothing left after matching for Henry. Could give us an outside shot at Robertson if we can package to upgrade.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:I suppose the other tactic, is to hope Kelly does go to the Muppets, wait for them to give up their first born in trade, leaving the way clear for us to go after other players.

I'd actually be happy with this. They have to keep some currency to pay points for NGA guy Liam Henry who could be a top 10 selection. If they give away their first rounder (and Hill or the 2020 first) then they'll have nothing left after matching for Henry. Could give us an outside shot at Robertson if we can package to upgrade.

And I think the other option for us is to look for more Reddens.
We have a fantastic club, probably the best open air training facilities in the comp, a brand new stadium, loads of money, a good coaching team, and will remain a contender at least till Shuey and Gaff drop away.

I'd like us to have a go at Callum Ah Chee, even if that means slinging his brother another year or 2. But not just because he's a local, but because his current club is a stinking festering ulcer.
Jack Martin should be on our radar for the same reasons.

There must be other guys looking for a new start at a decent club?

McDonald-Tipungwuti is out of contract at the scum. If we lost someone else to trade, he'd be a good pickup.

Neal-Bullen has shown promise, and it would be interesting to see what he could do at a decent club.

Bailey Williams could be looking for a new home. It would be worth it just to screw with people.

Darcy Parish will be highly sought if he stays out of contract.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:44 am

Mr Q wrote:It's always been difficult for the Eagles looking at big targets, because we're in the same state as Fremantle, who are always willing to pay the kitchen sink to get that big name onto their list, particularly if it's a big name coming home to WA. That's why we have Cripps and Yeo, and they have Lobbe and McCarthy.

Coniglio is a free agent so no need to trade for him. It's whether we can fit him into the salary cap.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mr Q on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:45 am

Fat Side wrote:Coniglio is a free agent so no need to trade for him. It's whether we can fit him into the salary cap.

Restricted though. If he's after money, then there are clubs in Victoria (and of course in purple) that love throwing money at ... well any big fish that shows up. I think that we don't go buying big names at the expense of our existing players is a positive for our player culture, so I'd rather stay out of those bidding wars.

If it's not a big money thing, then GWS would just match the offer.

Either way, we aren't likely to get a look in.
"I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilisation" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Alternative facts, alternative facts, pants on fire....
Mr Q
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:24 am

I see Jack Martin has finally had enough.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-27/gun-sun-on-the-move-talented-mid-officially-requests-trade

Looks to be heading South at this point, but I hope we are at least sniffing around.
Plus with Ballantyne retiring, you'd think the Muppets would be interested.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:42 am

Supposedly Sam Powell-Pepper is on the outer at Port and wants a trade.
Very promising young player. Played every game in his 1st season, and has been good without be brilliant. With 3 seasons and 50 games under his belt, he should be poised for big things.
He's contracted though, so Port will want their pound of flesh.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Supposedly Sam Powell-Pepper is on the outer at Port and wants a trade.
Very promising young player. Played every game in his 1st season, and has been good without be brilliant. With 3 seasons and 50 games under his belt, he should be poised for big things.
He's contracted though, so Port will want their pound of flesh.

Give him a miss. We don't need to sniff around every ordinary ex-pat WA player. That's what Freo are for.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Jack Martin wants out. I'd love him in Eagles colours.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

PreviousNext

Return to Drafts and Trading