11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2019 Trade Bait

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2019 Trade Bait

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:15 am

I submit the following for discussion.
Not because these are players we want rid off, but because they may actually have currency at the trade table.
Its not being disloyal, because we would only trade somebody who wants to go, and who has a better offer elsewhere.
The list is based on the rationale that we would need to give up quality in order to secure good picks and/or quality players in return. Gone are the days when we could trade a couple of spuds to freo for a #1 pick.

I won't bother mentioning it for every player, but what needs to be considered for each is the "go home" factor. Some have it, some don't. Unfortunately I don't know who has, but that is the hypothetical presumption in every discussion.

An awful lot comes down to list management, and how long we expect guys like Kennedy, Schoey, Masto, Jetta, and Bunga to play on. I reckon they're all good for another year or more, but if they all win a medal and collectively decide to retire, then this entire discussion becomes moot. I'll also point out that under no circumstances would I advocate trading all or even most. Maybe 1 or 2, and in reality it will probably be none.

Brander
The name on everyone's lips.
The lore on Brander says he barracked for us growing up and this is his dream come true. If true, he's not going anywhere, but if not he would fetch a very pretty penny at the trade table. Given his potential, and therefore value to us, I'd be demanding an arm and a leg for him.

Gaff
Don't hit me. If (IF) he helps us win another flag this year (or next), he may feel satisfied, and I'd at least ask him the question. Do you want to take one of those crazy offers in Melbourne and let us draw blood at the trade table?

Duggan
I've been a big wrap for this kid since his early games, and he's now a Premiership Player, and an almost automatic selection when fit. But I do feel that his progression (back) into the midfield is being stymied somewhat, and he might get a more golden opportunity elsewhere. Perhaps not all-star price, but I certainly be asking for a top pick, and maybe a sweetener.

Nelson
Has done well to force his way back into the team this season, but that has also increased his value, and I feel there is tough competition for his spot. He could play in a GF this year, and/or next season might see him back in the WAFL.
I don't know tbh, as I still tend to worry we wouldn't get full value in trade, unless another coach really took a fancy.

Cole
Premiership player, outstanding in the WAFL, can't force his way into the team at this time.
For a club that needs a versatile defender, he would be a high-value target.

Venables
Lets assume that the medical reports are 100% clear...
Still a lot of work to do, but he's a Premiership Player with a bright future. He;s another I'd want a top pick for.
In reality, even if we believe there are no medical issues, i can't see us trading him with that cloud hovering.

Vardy
What's the market like for Ruckmen?
He's proven more than handy, and won a Premiership. And NN is now just a perpetual gamble.
But we have Williams developing, and we have Brooksby as emergency depth. If nothing else changes, I'd look at sending Vardy to club chasing a ready-to-go ruck.

Petruccelle
Petru has a LOT of upside. With his speed he could become the ultimate winger/outside mid.
After playing 20 games this year, IF another team sees the same value, it could be an opportune time to send him home.

Matt Allen
I still think this kid has potential, as a KPF. I just don't think he's going to get that opportunity with us.

Hamish Brayshaw
I think he is currently the most promising mid we have in development.
I just wonder if maybe he wants a trade to Freo to be with his Dad and Brother?
(Otherwise, I'm not sure why we haven't resigned him?)
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: 2019 Trade Bait

Postby jourgo on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

Which Allen are you talking about?

If Oscar then no. You don't trade second year guys who are playing the kind of footy he's playing now. As far as future opportunities goes, if he keeps developing as he is now he's going to be a permanent fixture of front six. He practically is now and certainly will be in a year or two when Kennedy pulls the pin.

I don't mind the idea of trading Gaff if he gets his medal this year, but I will say this - if that's the ONLY reason he stayed I'd be surprised. Medal or not he may want to stay.

I cannot see Vardy having much of a trade value at all. He did put together a solid year of football last season but he's had injury/form issues again since.
Last edited by jourgo on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:26 am

jourgo wrote:Which Allen are you talking about?

If Oscar then no. You don't trade second year guys who are playing the kind of footy he's playing now. As far as future opportunities goes, if he keeps developing as he is now he's going to be a permanent fixture of front six. He practically is now and certainly will be in a year or two who Kennedy pulls the pin.

I don't mind the idea of trading Gaff if he gets his medal this year, but I will say this - if that's the ONLY reason he stayed I'd be surprised. Medal or not he may want to stay.

I cannot see Vardy having much of a trade value at all. He did put together a solid year of football last season but he's had injury/form issues again since.

Sos, Matt Allen. Wouldn't get much, but maybe he gets a better opportunity.

Gaff, yeah, I'm sure he felt that he had "unfinished business" but would that change even if we win? He'd still be part of a very strong close-knit team and may just prefer to see that through.

Vardy, personally my preference would be to let Brooksby go and keep Vardy for depth, but you never know. Always seems to be either a feast or famine when it comes to trading rucks. We got Jetta for Sinca, so who knows. :D
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby WCE Booka 89 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Vardys value last year would have been great. His value now,not so much.

Venables if the right offer comes in id definitelt look at it. Im really concerned about how his head is. Its very worrying how he is out for a year with concussion. Wpuld also depend on other player movements too tho. Dont wanna trade out everyone.

I have heard interest in petch. Id be very hesitant trafing him. Would want much more than hes worth right now
WCE Booka 89
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:33 pm

I would also mention Hamish Brayshaw, only becuase he is currently out of contract. Since I think he is the most promising mid we have in development in the WAFL, I can only wonder if maybe he wants a trade to Freo to be with his Dad and Brother?

We managed to get a deal done for Kelly that didn't involve trading players.

Any trade now really needs to be either good value for us, and/or getting a player to a better opportunity.

I'm convinced that one of Duggan, Nelson, or Cole needs to be traded home.
These guys are basically fighting for the same spot. Yeah, its nice to have depth, but that means two guys rotting in the WAFL.
We've made the mistake before of leaving guys in the WAFL too long. They become disenchanted, fall away, and we end up either delisting them or trading them for a 5th rounder.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 pm

Streaker wrote:Is Tom Cole expendable? With the amount of players leaving Adelaide we may have an opportunity to get back into the top 30.

Adelaide Pick 28 or Port Adelaide Pick 29 perhaps?

Whoever was responsible for that "mind training" camp really did a number on the poor old Crows.
Cole IIRC, was from country Vic?

Certainly I would be very open to trading one of him, Duggan, or Nelson. They, plus O'Neill, and even Smith, are all competing for one or two spots in the backline.

Sure, in a couple of years Bunga and Jetta will move on, but that's a long time to stew in the WAFL, especially for Vic boys. Besides, we're probably going to want somebody quick to replace Jetta, and somebody slightly bigger and stronger to replace Bunga.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:48 pm

I'm disappointed, but unfortunately not surprised, that there weren't even any rumours of trades involving Eagles.

When you see some of the spuds that attract interest, I reckon we could have got something.

But I'm also surprised that nobody was sniffing around, at least not reportedly.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:I'm disappointed, but unfortunately not surprised, that there weren't even any rumours of trades involving Eagles.

When you see some of the spuds that attract interest, I reckon we could have got something.

But I'm also surprised that nobody was sniffing around, at least not reportedly.

We weren’t putting any names up and the players don’t want to leave. We sent a clear message to Geelong that we Weren’t interested in trading players.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Return to Drafts and Trading