Lewis Jetta 30.5 182cm 80kg
Brad Sheppard 28.5 187cm 85kg
Francis Watson 24 187cm 79kg
Kurt Mutimer 22.5 185cm 84kg

Man on Man Defenders
Jackson Nelson 23.5 187cm 84kg
Liam Duggan 22.75 184cm 83kg
Tom Cole 22.33 186cm 81kg

Rotham isn’t really a KPD but because of his height I’ve placed him in this category. Edwards is listed as a Ruck but has been used down back so I’ve slotted him in here as I think this is where we’ll try to develop him. For the next 2 years I’d say we are going to struggle in defence if we get a couple of significant injuries. Mutimer might not be there this time next year and the fact that we won’t have reasonable picks within the next 2 drafts means that when Hurn, Schofield and Jetta are retired within these 2 years we will be left struggling to find coverage. By the 2021 draft McGovern and Sheppard would be on the cusp or retired as well. Watson is currently on the rookie list but I expect him to be upgraded due to our poor position in this years draft, the same with Edwards.

Scenario: Will need to find replacements for Hurn, Jetta, McGovern and Sheppard within the next 2 years

Rucks
Nic Naitanui 29.5 201cm 110kg
Keegan Brooksby 29.5 197cm 99kg
Tom Hickey 28.5 201cm 99kg
Nathan Vardy 28.25 200cm 100kg
Bailey Williams 19.5 198cm 95kg
Harry Edwards 19 197cm 84kg

Brooksby possibly won’t be on our list but due to our position in this years draft will be kept as coverage. If Naitanui loses a bit of weight I can see him being able to play out 2 more years. Hickey has exceeded expectations whereas Vardy hasn’t fulfilled the promise he showed earlier in his time with us. Once again I can see all four of our main rucks being retired within the 2 year period we don’t have quality draft picks. Edwards I don’t see as a ruck but may pinch hit. Williams will be the interesting one. Will he develop as a Ruck or Forward

Scenario: Will need to find replacements for Naitanui, Brooksby, Hickey and Vardy within the next 2 years.

Forwards

Key Position Forwards
Josh Kennedy 32 196cm 102kg
Jack Darling 27.25 191cm 95kg
Jake Waterman 21.5 191cm 92kg
Jarrod Brander 20.75 195cm 90kg
Oscar Allen 20.5 193cm 86kg

Small Defensive Forwards
Jamie Cripps 27.5 183cm 84kg
Willie Rioli 24.33 175cm 80kg
Liam Ryan 23 19cm 77kg

Forward/Mid Rotation
Daniel Venables 20.5 187cm 83kg
Jack Petrucelle 20.5 185cm 80kg
Jarrod Cameron 19.5 183cm 74kg

In relation to forwards we are looking good if we can retain our current group and the likes of Brander and Allen keep improving. Losing Kennedy next year will be a big blow and I’m hoping we put a lot of development into Brander this year. The loss of Rioli for however long it will be and the fact that we haven’t seen Venables all year throws our depth out a fair bit. I believe Petrucelle will be used more on a wing this year with Cameron spending more time in the midfield. We need more rotations through the midfield to give the likes of Shuey and Yeo a chop out rather than the bench.

Scenario: Looking ok barring significant injuries.

Mids TBA
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: State of the List

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Streaker wrote:Defence

Scenario: Will need to find replacements for Hurn, Jetta, McGovern and Sheppard within the next 2 years

I think our defence is the best covered for depth, in terms of overall personnel.
My only concern is that we don't necessarily have like-4-like replacements:
Schoey's lock-down ability & pace.
Bunga's size & strength
Jetta's pace & run
Sheppy's leap
At the same time Nelson, Duggan, Cole, and O'Neill are all very "vanilla".
Watson shows promise, but his decision-making and use-under-pressure, still have a long way to go.
Smith is just too small to be an AFL defender.
Edwards shows a lot of promise.

Streaker wrote:Rucks
Edwards I don’t see as a ruck but may pinch hit. Williams will be the interesting one. Will he develop as a Ruck or Forward

Scenario: Will need to find replacements for Naitanui, Brooksby, Hickey and Vardy within the next 2 years.

How many do we need?
NN is the only one of any value playing forward.
In the WAFL they got basically 1/3rd in the ruck, 1/3rd forward, and 1/3rd on the bench. All of them were total spuds up forward, with Vardy still the best of bad bunch. Williams definitely a ruck.
Edwards will be interesting to see how he develops. Whether he adds some muscle, or stays a skinny utility.

Streaker wrote:Forwards
In relation to forwards we are looking good if we can retain our current group and the likes of Brander and Allen keep improving. Losing Kennedy next year will be a big blow and I’m hoping we put a lot of development into Brander this year. The loss of Rioli for however long it will be and the fact that we haven’t seen Venables all year throws our depth out a fair bit. I believe Petrucelle will be used more on a wing this year with Cameron spending more time in the midfield. We need more rotations through the midfield to give the likes of Shuey and Yeo a chop out rather than the bench.

It's no coincidence that JK looked best this year with 2 other KPFs around. Whether temporary due to injury, or just a sign of ageing, his ability to get lose on the lead was severely impaired. Brander is certainly the "Great White Hope". remains to be seen if that is justified. Waterman is interesting, to date I have seen him more as a leading medium forward, but it remains to be seen how much size and strength he develops.

We are are at significant injury risk here, because apart from Brander (who is still an unknown) the WAFL cupboard is bare. If JK slows up, and Darling gets injured, we're screwed. This year our best WAFL KPF was McInnes :(
Cameron can come in to replace Willie, but he's still raw, and a long-way short of being able to rotate through an AFL midfield.

Given our ability to draft young talent is severely hampered, I think this is where we need to target some alternative draftees. Mature age, etc. A SF o cover Willie, and a KPF to cover whilst Brander develops.
Streaker wrote:Mids TBA

Not sure if Foley will be a mid long-term, remain a forward, or even make the grade.
Mutimer is done
Ah Chee just isn't even close to AFL standard. Doesn't get enough of the ball and butchers it when he does.
Allen is not a midfielder.
Smith isn't good enough for AFL.
Brayshaw and Ainsworth show promise.

The biggest bonus from Kelly is the extra breadth. We can now cover an injury without losing much.
Venables is the big unknown here. His long-term omission was either overly cautious or indicative of an underlying problem, possibly post-concussion syndrome.

Petru's future is on the wing. When he gets loose in the WAFL, it is a site to behold, nobody can catch him.

Again, given we can't go chasing high-value youth, I'd like us to look outside the box for a couple. It's easier said than done, but I'd rather role the dice again than persist with Ah Chee and Smith.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Perrythegreat on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Re. KPDs
What you've seen with us is that we train our young up and coming talls in both forward and back (with the exception of Waterman for some reason). So you can add O.Allen and Brander as potential KPDs. I think Williams played there a few times as well. So it is not as bare as it looks on the face of it.

Harry Edwards looks very promising.

Rotham looks at ease, but agree not an out and out KPD, but can play that role when I've seen him.
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Perrythegreat on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Streaker wrote:Defence

Key Position Defenders
Will Schofield 30.75 196cm 92kg
Jeremy McGovern 27.5 196cm 99kg
Tom Barrass 24 194cm 95kg
Josh Rotham 21.5 193cm 85kg

Line Breaking Defenders
Shannon Hurn 32 187cm 95kg
Lewis Jetta 30.5 182cm 80kg
Brad Sheppard 28.5 187cm 85kg
Francis Watson 24 187cm 79kg
Kurt Mutimer 22.5 185cm 84kg

Man on Man Defenders
Jackson Nelson 23.5 187cm 84kg
Liam Duggan 22.75 184cm 83kg
Tom Cole 22.33 186cm 81kg

Rotham isn’t really a KPD but because of his height I’ve placed him in this category. Edwards is listed as a Ruck but has been used down back so I’ve slotted him in here as I think this is where we’ll try to develop him. For the next 2 years I’d say we are going to struggle in defence if we get a couple of significant injuries. Mutimer might not be there this time next year and the fact that we won’t have reasonable picks within the next 2 drafts means that when Hurn, Schofield and Jetta are retired within these 2 years we will be left struggling to find coverage. By the 2021 draft McGovern and Sheppard would be on the cusp or retired as well. Watson is currently on the rookie list but I expect him to be upgraded due to our poor position in this years draft, the same with Edwards.

Rucks
Nic Naitanui 29.5 201cm 110kg
Keegan Brooksby 29.5 197cm 99kg
Tom Hickey 28.5 201cm 99kg
Nathan Vardy 28.25 200cm 100kg
Bailey Williams 19.5 198cm 95kg

Brooksby possibly won’t be on our list but due to our position in this years draft will be kept as coverage. If Naitanui loses a bit of weight I can see him being able to play out 2 more years. Hickey has exceeded expectations whereas Vardy hasn’t fulfilled the promise he showed earlier in his time with us. Once again I can see all four of our main rucks being retired within the 2 year period we don’t have quality draft picks. Edwards I don’t see as a ruck but may pinch hit. Williams will be the interesting one. Will he develop as a Ruck or Forward

Forwards

Key Position Forwards
Josh Kennedy 32 196cm 102kg
Jack Darling 27.25 191cm 95kg
Jake Waterman 21.5 191cm 92kg
Jarrod Brander 20.75 195cm 90kg
Oscar Allen 20.5 193cm 86kg

Small Defensive Forwards
Jamie Cripps 27.5 183cm 84kg
Willie Rioli 24.33 175cm 80kg
Liam Ryan 23 19cm 77kg

Forward/Mid Rotation
Daniel Venables 20.5 187cm 83kg
Jack Petrucelle 20.5 185cm 80kg
Jarrod Cameron 19.5 183cm 74kg

Mids TBA

Be surprised if McGovern is done at 29
2015 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "player sponsor of Scooter every odd year"
2014 Official sponsor of NicNat, "taking the mark of the bicentenary some time soon"
2013 Official sponsor of Scott Selwood, "welcome back Scooter"
2012 Official sponsor of Josh Hill, "the tall small that kicks goals through all"
2011 Official Sponsor of Scott Selwood, "tagging midfielders in a town near you soon".
Perrythegreat
Veteran

Postby Mykidsdad on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:05 pm

McGovern still has 4 years on his contract
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Perrythegreat wrote:Re. KPDs
What you've seen with us is that we train our young up and coming talls in both forward and back (with the exception of Waterman for some reason). So you can add O.Allen and Brander as potential KPDs. I think Williams played there a few times as well. So it is not as bare as it looks on the face of it.
Harry Edwards looks very promising.
Rotham looks at ease, but agree not an out and out KPD, but can play that role when I've seen him.
I have no qualms about Rotham, and think he can easily step up to a KPD role, albeit the roles have evolved. Edwards, as discussed, looks promising.
Our problem is that we had 4 spots on our list filled by backup rucks. McInnes is gone, so that's one down, but we need to get rid of at least one more. There's literally zero point having that many ageing talls, who can't play anywhere else, on the list.
We need to get rid of Brooksby, only keep Vardy if we're convinced he can recapture his 2017 form, and top up with a couple of younger guys
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:59 am

I like your work Streaker. When do we see the mids
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Return to Drafts and Trading