West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2020 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2020 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Time once again to start taking a hard look at our list. Even if only to highlight those players who need to get their fingers out in the latter part of the season.

TRADE:
Jarrod Brander. 21. Contracted for 2021.
Hopefully for once the Eagles will get pro-active. It's clear we've decided he won't be Kennedy's replacement, so after yet another failure to create a giant midfielder, it's time to get some value back from our investment, and send him home via the trade table.

Liam Duggan 23. Contracted for 2021.
Duggan is an elite user of the ball, and would be playing midfield at most clubs. I don't think we can hold him long term, and coming into his prime would be a good opportunity to get some value.

Tom Hickey 29. Contracted for 2021.
In what appears to be yet another "Vozzo Special" we apparently gave the Big Yin a 3 yr deal, and now desperately need somebody to take him off our hands.

Jarrod Cameron 20. Contracted for 2021.
Brisbane are supposedly redhot for Jarrod, and I'd be surprised if they don't get their man.
I just hope we have the good sense to trade him when when we can extract maximum value for no further investment.

DELIST
Daniel Venables 21. Out of Contract.
I'll include him here, although it will be classed as a retirement. Horrible as it is, we need to accept that this young man will not play AFL again. Time to let him go home and get on with his life. Will always be a Premiership player.

Nathan Vardy 29. Out of Contract
I will always feel a little sorry for Vardy. A premiership player dudded by our inexplicable decision to replace him with Hickey. We can't keep both, so with Hickey contracted, Vardy must be the one to leave.

Hamish Brayshaw 22. Out of Contract
Brayshaw now has a great opportunity to force his way into a team that lacks emerging mids, is hit by injuries, and facing a crushing schedule. If he can't do that, then I suspect time has run out.

Luke Foley 21. Out of Contract
Another wouldbe midfielder demoted to defence. Without a WAFL team to judge these guys in, its hard, but I suspect he's not showing enough.

Mitch O'Neill 19. Out of Contract
Fly-weight "mid" who was given a shot as a rookie. Never got a chance due to severe back injury.
He's Injury-Prone, so I'd say much depends on his long-term prognosis.

RETIRE:
Lewis Jetta 31. Out of Contract
Jetta's time at the Eagles has been beset with patches of inconsistency. I'll make the same comment as for Brayshaw, albeit at opposite ends of their careers.

Shannon Hurn 33. Out of Contract
But for a couple of (rare) injuries years ago, he would have surpassed Cox and be on his way to becoming our first 300 gamer.
I'd still love for that to happen, and we'll have to wait and see, but I suspect he has already signalled his intentions.
Premiership Captain, it doesn't get any better than that.

Will Schofield 31. Out of Contract
Few players better epitomise the tag "Great Servant of the Club." I would have liked to see him get to 200, but it would appear he's already played on a year too many.

Mark Hutchings 29. Out of Contract
Done well to reinvent himself a couple of times, and carve out 100+ games and a gong.
Better players now keeping him out.

KEEP:
Jake Waterman 22. Out of contract.
Seems to be designated as our next Key Forward, so fully expect hi to be offered a mid-term contract.

Josh Kennedy 33. Out of contract.
Apparently keen to play on, and without Brander, I'd say warrants another year.

Jack Petruccelle 21. Out of contract.
Petch is not yet AFL quality, but he has speed and endeavour. I still think he could develop into a genuine Wing. Given a lack of players coming through in this age-bracket, I'd suggest he get at least another year.

Xavier O'Neill 20. Out of contract.
Has been named Emergency a few times, so hopefully is on the cusp. Should probably get one more year.

Bailey Williams 20. Out of Contract.
Not for long I would think. Currently carrying all our future ruck hopes.

Jamaine Jones 21. Showed a lot of endeavour in his one outing before season-ending injury.
Worth giving another crack.

????
Brayden Ainsworth 21. Out of Contract
Jury's out on this kid. Currently not looking AFL quality, but still has time to make good.

Brendon Ah Chee 26. Out of Contract
The epitome of a List Clogger, but seems to have inherited the mantel of favoured project player.

Anthony Treacy 23. Out of Contract
Thrown a mature-age lifeline, but haven't seen anything of him.

Nic Reid 25. Out of Contract
Remains to be seen what he can do with his opportunity.

Inactive List
Francis Watson 25. Out of contract.
At a minimum he's going to miss most of next season. If we can place him on the inactive list then it would be nice to give him another chance.

REALITY / Best Guess
We won't trade anybody, because we're stupid. We'll keep Brander for another year or two before delisting him, extend Duggan till he leaves as a Free-Agent, keep Hickey for a couple because he's contracted and we've backed ourselves into a corner, and keep developing Cameron til he's best 22 and we're forced to trade him to Brisbane.

Venables and Schofield will retire.

We'll delist Francis Watson so that we can pick him up again in the Rookie Draft
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Re: 2020 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fat Side on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Time once again to start taking a hard look at our list. Even if only to highlight those players who need to get their fingers out in the latter part of the season.

TRADE:
Jarrod Brander. 21. Contracted for 2021.
Hopefully for once the Eagles will get pro-active. It's clear we've decided he won't be Kennedy's replacement, so after yet another failure to create a giant midfielder, it's time to get some value back from our investment, and send him home via the trade table.

Liam Duggan 23. Contracted for 2021.
Duggan is an elite user of the ball, and would be playing midfield at most clubs. I don't think we can hold him long term, and coming into his prime would be a good opportunity to get some value.

Tom Hickey 29. Contracted for 2021.
In what appears to be yet another "Vozzo Special" we apparently gave the Big Yin a 3 yr deal, and now desperately need somebody to take him off our hands.

Jarrod Cameron 20. Contracted for 2021.
Brisbane are supposedly redhot for Jarrod, and I'd be surprised if they don't get their man.
I just hope we have the good sense to trade him when when we can extract maximum value for no further investment.

DELIST
Daniel Venables 21. Out of Contract.
I'll include him here, although it will be classed as a retirement. Horrible as it is, we need to accept that this young man will not play AFL again. Time to let him go home and get on with his life. Will always be a Premiership player.

Nathan Vardy 29. Out of Contract
I will always feel a little sorry for Vardy. A premiership player dudded by our inexplicable decision to replace him with Hickey. We can't keep both, so with Hickey contracted, Vardy must be the one to leave.

Hamish Brayshaw 22. Out of Contract
Brayshaw now has a great opportunity to force his way into a team that lacks emerging mids, is hit by injuries, and facing a crushing schedule. If he can't do that, then I suspect time has run out.

Luke Foley 21. Out of Contract
Another wouldbe midfielder demoted to defence. Without a WAFL team to judge these guys in, its hard, but I suspect he's not showing enough.

Mitch O'Neill 19. Out of Contract
Fly-weight "mid" who was given a shot as a rookie. Never got a chance due to severe back injury.

RETIRE:
Lewis Jetta 31. Out of Contract
Jetta's time at the Eagles has been beset with patches of inconsistency. I'll make the same comment as for Brayshaw, albeit at opposite ends of their careers.

Shannon Hurn 33. Out of Contract
But for a couple of (rare) injuries years ago, he would have surpassed Cox and be on his way to becoming our first 300 gamer.
I'd still love for that to happen, and we'll have to wait and see, but I suspect he has already signalled his intentions.
Premiership Captain, it doesn't get any better than that.

Will Schofield 31. Out of Contract
Few players better epitomise the tag "Great Servant of the Club." I would have liked to see him get to 200, but it would appear he's already played on a year too many.

Mark Hutchings 29. Out of Contract
Done well to reinvent himself a couple of times, and carve out 100+ games and a gong.
Better players now keeping him out.

KEEP:
Jake Waterman 22. Out of contract.
Seems to be designated as our next Key Forward, so fully expect hi to be offered a mid-term contract.

Josh Kennedy 33. Out of contract.
Apparently keen to play on, and without Brander, I'd say warrants another year.

Jack Petruccelle 21. Out of contract.
Petch is not yet AFL quality, but he has speed and endeavour. I still think he could develop into a genuine Wing. Given a lack of players coming through in this age-bracket, I'd suggest he get at least another year.

Xavier O'Neill 20. Out of contract.
Has been named Emergency a few times, so hopefully is on the cusp. Should probably get one more year.

Bailey Williams 20. Out of Contract.
Not for long I would think. Currently carrying all our future ruck hopes.

Jamaine Jones 21. Showed a lot of endeavour in his one outing before season-ending injury.
Worth giving another crack.

????
Brayden Ainsworth 21. Out of Contract
Jury's out on this kid. Currently not looking AFL quality, but still has time to make good.

Brendon Ah Chee 26. Out of Contract
The epitome of a List Clogger, but seems to have inherited the mantel of favoured project player.

Anthony Treacy 23. Out of Contract
Thrown a mature-age lifeline, but haven't seen anything of him.

Nic Reid 25. Out of Contract
Remains to be seen what he can do with his opportunity.

Inactive List
Francis Watson 25. Out of contract.
At a minimum he's going to miss most of next season. If we can place him on the inactive list then it would be nice to give him another chance.

Brander stays. Duggan is our next Captain, Hickey will stay because Vardy will go. Happy to see Cameron go if the deal is at least an early second rounder. This also depends on the Rioli outcome.

Venables may retire due to the concussion issues. I hope he can get past it and play a role for us, but I'm highly doubtful at this stage. Brayshaw's future may well depend on how he plays for us when he gets and opportunity this year. Foley is developing and should be retained and Mitch O'Neill was a steal as a last pick rookie. He should be retained. Watson is not going to make it and should be delisted or traded.

Jetta and Schofield are likely to retire. Hurn deserves another year as he's still best 22. I think JK should consider retirement, but that will depend on how we finish the season (same could be said for Hurn). Ah Chee may be delisted along with Treacy.

This all depends of course on list sizes yet to be announced.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Trade Duggan?? What the hell??
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby Fat Side on Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:37 pm

There was some rumour on FB that Jeremy Sharp may be homesick at GC and looking to return home to WA. He's an outside mid with a long penetrating kick and has played his only game at GC in defence. With Hurn about to turn 33, Jetta likely to retire and Sheppard 30 next year, we will need an elite ball user at half back.

GC gave up a first round pick to trade him in last year so he won't come cheap.

If Rioli's issues are clear and Brisbane are so keen on getting Cameron to join his brother, surely a three-way trade with Brisbane could work. The rumour includes GC wanting an experienced player in return.

Sharp to us
Cameron to Brisbane
Whatever GC want from Brisbane

All this is dependent on whether it is just a rumour.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Fat Side wrote:Brander stays.
He's been touted from day one as Kennedy's replacement..
so if that's not going to happen then we need to trade him whilst he still has currency.
Our history of obsessively trying to turn KPFs into mids, failing, ruining them in the process, and then dumping them, is starting to become embarrassing.
Allen, Lamb, Tunbridge, Colledge, and now Brander. Our record is ziltch (meanwhile I'm batting 1000)
Fat Side wrote:Hickey will stay because Vardy will go.
Yes, I think it has to be one or the other, and Hickey is the one with a contract.
Fat Side wrote:Happy to see Cameron go if the deal is at least an early second rounder.
From what I can tell Brisbane currently don't have a 2nd rounder, but will have both their own and Ports 1st rounder. Keep in mind that we need to get a 1st round pick to keep the AFL happy, so maybe something can we negotiated there.
Fat Side wrote:Mitch O'Neill was a steal as a last pick rookie.
I think his prospects will depend on his rehab.
Last edited by Crazy Dazz on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Fat Side wrote:Duggan is our next Captain,
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub wrote:Trade Duggan?? What the hell??
Whether he stays is, obviously, entirely up to him, but he continues to be sought by just about every Prictorian club.
Some of those will offer him a genuine Midfield role. and its going to be very hard for us to keep him.
If he wants to go home (which afterall is the only real question) then for once I'd like to see us play it smart, and trade when we have some control and can get Fair Value.
Keep in mind that he's in his 6th season, and at the end of next season he'll be an uncontracted Pre-Agent.
If as you say he wants to stay and become a leader, then I'd expect over the next month or so he'll extend his contract till at least 2023.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm

The only one of the ???? ones I'd be happy to see go is Ah Chee. Ainsworth just may mature, and may not ( so deserves the ????), but Reid looks like a keeper and I'd like to see Treacy a bit.

In fact I'd like to see us be a bit more active in the rookie area in picking mature WAFL types who could slot into the team to fill injuries and potentially be solid 5-7 year players rather than go for slightly built youngsters who may become rookieable in 5 years at age 24.

We need to contract Williams ASAP.

Of the 'Retire' group, I'd be happy to have Hurn go for one more but agree on the rest.

Of the 'Delist' group Venables is the big loss but I just can't see him risking it. The rest, fine.

Of the 'Trade' list I'm missing the hate for Brander. He's showing more and more and looks like he has some wet weather skills.
With Jetta, Hurn and Shep all reaching or approaching the end state, Duggan is too important to trade.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Crazy! there's no way the club is turning over 15 players. They'll trade 1 maybe 2. A few will retire and 3 will be delisted. It's like out running the Lion, you don't need to outrun the lion, just the other wilderbeast it's chasing. They'll only shorten the lists by a few players.
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Clarke Markx Goalz wrote:Crazy! there's no way the club is turning over 15 players.
This is my list for public discussion.
The one I give to the Eagles, where they do exactly what I say, is much shorter :D
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:24 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Brander stays.
He's been touted from day one as Kennedy's replacement..
so if that's not going to happen then we need to trade him whilst he still has currency.
Our history of obsessively trying to turn KPFs into mids, failing, ruining them in the process, and then dumping them, is starting to become embarrassing.
Allen, Lamb, Tunbridge, Colledge, and now Brander. Our record is ziltch (meanwhile I'm batting 1000)

Brander is developing nicely and we are committed to getting games into him. At another club he would have played 30-40 games by now. There is no need to rush him and moving him on is not the answer. Had we moved McGovern on after three seasons, he would never have played a game for us. That likely means no 2018 flag. He debuted at 22 and now is the best KPD in the competition with 4 AAs and he's our highest paid player.

We can all see that Brander has the talent, but needs opportunities.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 pm

Streaker wrote:Sydney Swans after Tom Hickey. Sydney have pick 3, 22, 54 and 56. They will probably try to trade Elijah Taylor for Hickey. I'd hope we hold out for Chad Warner or pick 22.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/swans-eye-off-tom-hickey-to-boost-ruck-stocks-20201001-p560zn.html
You bloody ripper!
No insult intended, but I'd be happy with whatever we can get, just to get him off the list.
Vardy is uncontracted, so we can at least look at our prospects strategically and objectively.

There's potentially a gap in our ruck division, when NN, Hickey, & Vardy are all retired, if we feel that Williams hasn't hit his straps, but neither Hickey (or Vardy) helps that.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:46 pm

List sizes down by 2 player this year to 42.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 pm

Streaker wrote:List sizes down by 2 player this year to 42.

Hopefully, given our combination of dead-wood, list cloggers, retirees, and no 1st round pick, this will work to our advantage.

And might even free up a couple of players worth a look.

I also hope it forces us to get aggressive with the use of the Rookie List. No more using it as a dumping ground for guys that should have been delisted,
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:36 pm

I take it the salary cap is reduced accordingly?
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:40 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:

I also hope it forces us to get aggressive with the use of the Rookie List. No more using it as a dumping ground for guys that should have been delisted,

Watson, Brayshaw, Treacy and Reid will likely get your wish and be delisted. I hope you don't get your way and we don't delist Harry Edwards and Mitch O'Neill from the rookie list. IMO they're terrific prospects that we got for a steal.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading