West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2020 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2020 : Trade -:- Delist -:- Retire

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Fat Side wrote:Despite what some on here are saying, I don't believe that Hutchings and Vardy are shot. Both were injured this year. Let's wait and see how they go in 2021.

I agree!

Hutchings; one year of injury does not make one injury prone, it's just a bad year. What makes him exceptional as a tagger is he hurts big time the other way, including kicking goals. He often ends up with better stats than the person he is tagging and I believe if that's his role then he can still achieve that no worries.

Vardy; I believe is still capable of great games, of big games if called upon. The other great advantage of keeping him on the list is it gives Williams and Jamieson someone to strive against, to earn a spot rather than being gifted. It also gives them a solid body to bash into at training that is not NN or Allen. Keeping him on the list will have multiple advantages and I'm glad we have.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:43 am

Fat Side wrote:Ainsworth has been offered a contract.

So is that it then? Assuming he re-signs we’re done?
Just need to sort out Venables and Rioli.

Be interesting to see what WCE do there.

Even with the reduced list size and considering we’ve clearly made a strategic decision to bailout of this year’s draft we’ve managed to give the dead-wood a fair old prune.

Honestly l will admit to losing sight of the big numbers in the recent debate. We’ve actually turned over a good portion of our list so in the interests of stability not cutting more is probably the right call.
As to whether they cut the right players…
I'm not a fan of Ah Chee but that’s just my opinion.
Schoey was clearly slowing down and with Rotham improving the timing was right for him.
Brayshaw unlucky not to get more opportunity bit that’s not to say t would have made any difference.
Jetta will remain a mystery especially with the rumours.
So yeah hard to say they could have done much differently

We’re down to 39 players which means we need to pick up at least 5. (Plus whatever we decide to do with Venables and Wille)
So 5~7 players with one semi-reasonable pick in the ND. That leaves plenty of scope for Rookies & Roughies.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:06 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Fat Side wrote:Ainsworth has been offered a contract.

So is that it then? Assuming he re-signs we’re done?
Just need to sort out Venables and Rioli.

Be interesting to see what WCE do there.

Even with the reduced list size and considering we’ve clearly made a strategic decision to bailout of this year’s draft we’ve managed to give the dead-wood a fair old prune.

Honestly l will admit to losing sight of the big numbers in the recent debate. We’ve actually turned over a good portion of our list so in the interests of stability not cutting more is probably the right call.
As to whether they cut the right players…
I'm not a fan of Ah Chee but that’s just my opinion.
Schoey was clearly slowing down and with Rotham improving the timing was right for him.
Brayshaw unlucky not to get more opportunity bit that’s not to say t would have made any difference.
Jetta will remain a mystery especially with the rumours.
So yeah hard to say they could have done much differently

We’re down to 39 players which means we need to pick up at least 5. (Plus whatever we decide to do with Venables and Wille)
So 5~7 players with one semi-reasonable pick in the ND. That leaves plenty of scope for Rookies & Roughies.

TBH I was hoping we would be more aggressive in the trading period and I don't mean just players. It wouldn't have bothered me to see Hutch or Ah Chee retire or be delisted. Like you, I struggle to see the benefit of having Ah Chee in the side (other than round 1), but clearly the club sees him differently.

Once we gave up all our picks before our fourth round selection, the writing was on the wall, particularly when we give up Hickey and our first pick to Sydney for future picks. After that, it was probably obvious that those players would remain at the club seeing as picks in the 80-90s are speculative at best.

We do need to be more proactive with Cat B rookies. It's worth the effort as there may be a diamond in the rough, but we don't seem keen to pursue international players or players from other sporting codes. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but I can't think what that may be given the salary cap advantages that come with recruiting these players.

Brayshaw was too far back in the pack and only debuted because he was the last man standing. After three years as a 19 year old recruit probably needed to have more of an impact in order to be retained. Jetta was expected once Witherden was signed.

I think the targeting and recruitment of Witherden was very proactive from the club and seemed almost out of character given Witherden is a Victorian playing in Queensland. He has plenty of promise and I really hope he can continue to improve. The jury is out on Langdon for mine, but we got him for a later pick so probably a better short-medium term prospect than a draftee.

I am guessing we will retain at least one rookie pick for the SSP. If Venables is able to be put on the inactive list then maybe we will have two.

Clearly the club believes we can win it next year and that appears evident by their recruiting and trading picks into next year. I think we can win it, but as I've mentioned before; it's above the shoulders and the team needs to get focused. Some appear to be cruising and don't have consistent hunger to win throughout the season.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Fat Side wrote:Clearly the club believes we can win it next year and that appears evident by their recruiting and trading picks into next year.
I think we can win it, but as I've mentioned before; it's above the shoulders and the team needs to get focused.
Some appear to be cruising and don't have consistent hunger to win throughout the season.

l Agree with this and hopefully there’s a clue in there. Jetts could play anywhere and could have been moved back into the forwardline; but it’s his mental consistency and focus that has always been at issue.
Hutchy has never failed to give 100%.
l hate what Ah Chee does onfield but maybe he’s got the right attitude and is giving it a red-hot crack.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:48 am

Venables is likely to be delisted and then will train with the team over summer. If he pulls up well and the meds think he will play again with no issues they will redraft him onto the SSP.

Club has been working with the meds, his manager, Venables and his father. Apparently, he is sounding like the old Daniel.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:41 am

Pinion King wrote:Venables is likely to be delisted and then will train with the team over summer. If he pulls up well and the meds think he will play again with no issues they will redraft him onto the SSP.

Club has been working with the meds, his manager, Venables and his father. Apparently, he is sounding like the old Daniel.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news ... l9s1KRg1qY

Premiership forward Daniel Venables has been delisted but the club will continue exploring options to facilitate his return to senior football as an Eagle
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Pinion King wrote:Venables is likely to be delisted and then will train with the team over summer. If he pulls up well and the meds think he will play again with no issues they will redraft him onto the SSP.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news ... l9s1KRg1qY
Premiership forward Daniel Venables has been delisted but the club will continue exploring options to facilitate his return to senior football as an Eagle

At least they are finally being honest:
significant brain trauma injury

And I'm glad they are taking a clear line on this.
Obviously we all want to see him receive the maximum amount of support in his recovery. But he should never play AFL again.
Whilst this ploy will allow hm to keep training with the Eagles for a few more months; l can’t see how it could make much difference?
If his prognosis wasn’t clear enough after eighteen months then a couple more won’t change much.

Have to assume from this that the AFL have been [Greg Williams] as usual. Presumably our request to keep him on the inactive list was denied.

So that currently leaves us with 6 places on our list? With still Wille to be sorted.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading