West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2020: Trade-Targets, Free Agents, Rookies & Roughies

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

Re: 2020: Trade-Targets, Free Agents, Rookies & Roughies

Postby Crazy Dazz on Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Fat Side wrote:https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-and-players-association-close-to-agreement-on-list-sizes-report-says-news-2020-report-says-69814/

For 2021, clubs can have a maximum of 38 primary players and six rookie players on their list for a total of 44 players potentially. Clubs are allowed to have more than six rookies, but will need to lower their total of primary players to do so. All clubs must have at least one rookie listed player, with a total minimum of 37 players listed (36 primary and one rookie).

I see where you are coming from, but the issue of only having 42 players maximum without Cat B rookies isn't clear from what I have read. I have read a few media outlet pieces on this and I'm am none the wiser really. The above quote suggests we can have a min 37 players with a least one rookie and a max 44 players including rookies (no mention of Cat B). Others say min 37 with at least one rookie and a max 44 including maximum 38 senior players and six rookies including Cat B.

If the above quote is anything to go by, we can recruit two more rookies to take our list to 44.

All that is clear to me is that lists must have at least 37 players. This must include at least 36 and no more than 38 senior players, but must include at least one rookie. Anyway, I'll stand to be corrected.

If you read some of my previous posts, I was similarly confused.

Simplest way to understand it, is that the previous maximum was 44. 38 Seniors and 6 rookies, with the usual option of having upto two more Seniors at the expense of Rookie Slots. So it could be 38/6; 39/5; or 40/4.
We actually had 45 because Venables was on the inactive list.
So 44 would be no reduction. But it has been reduced to 42.

It is spelled out reasonably well here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/524822/new-afl-player-pay-deal-reached-list-sizes-revealed
The maximum list size for next year have been reduced from 47 to 44 which includes the ability to list up to two Category B rookies.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four-to-six Category A rookies and two Category B rookies.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:11 am

Streaker wrote:Maybe we can still pick up Kalin Lane.

Difficult to say for sure, but I'm surprised that nobody was prepared to take a punt on him.
I feel that part of the problem is that with the removal of restrictions on playing "Rookies" (combined with the reduction in lists) clubs now view rookies as just an extension of their playing group, and are no longer prepared to treat the list as place to develop late-bloomers.
If anything, it has gone the other way.

And whilst I have no idea if the Eagles were even interested in Lane, this is precisely what I meant when discussing the retention of cloggers like Hutchy and Ah Chee. By choosing the "safe" option they have denied an opportunity to somebody like Lane.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:30 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:And whilst I have no idea if the Eagles were even interested in Lane, this is precisely what I meant when discussing the retention of cloggers like Hutchy and Ah Chee. By choosing the "safe" option they have denied an opportunity to somebody like Lane.

I'm actually with you here.

I think we did remarkably well over the entire trade and draft period. Especially considering we had virtually nothing to work with after the TK trade. No KPPs and no developing rucks, but likely mids and small forwards and a Hurn replacement.

It showed that there was some surprising sliders and talent left at our picks, and that we could have got some more if we had the spaces.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:31 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:And whilst I have no idea if the Eagles were even interested in Lane, this is precisely what I meant when discussing the retention of cloggers like Hutchy and Ah Chee. By choosing the "safe" option they have denied an opportunity to somebody like Lane.

I'm actually with you here.

I think we did remarkably well over the entire trade and draft period. Especially considering we had virtually nothing to work with after the TK trade. No KPPs and no developing rucks, but likely mids and small forwards and a Hurn replacement.

It showed that there was some surprising sliders and talent left at our picks, and that we could have got some more if we had the spaces.

I think we did extremely well this period:
We traded out a player who will now get a couple of solid years with Sydney instead of rotting in the WAFL.
Brought in two guys who should legitimately push for inclusion in the 22, in the coming seasons, and at relatively little cost.
We strengthened our hand for next year, which was obviously a goal, and yet managed to pick up 3 very Potentially exciting prospects.
Edwards has a great pedigree, and as far as potential goes, was a bargain. Could be a crab, but could also become a star.
Trew and Winder were both guys we were originally hoping would slide to our original picks in the 3rd round, so to get them for nothing is awesome.
Plus I assume we will now list Ugle as a Cat B rookie

Great effort and I'd almost be completely stoked with that, if it weren't for the SSP.
We'll have to wait and see what happens with Venables and Rioli, but the SSP (and even the mid-season rookie draft) are a great opportunity to try out roughies (like Cedric Cox) and/or have another look at WAFL players like Waterman.
Or yes, add a project player like Lane to the rookie list.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mykidsdad on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:10 am

Agreed, with a limited hand they did really well. I think Witherden will be a gun and the 3 draft recruits could be anything. I am most hopeful with Trew, i have heard good stuff about this kid for years.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Previous

Return to Drafts and Trading