West Coast Collingwood
11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2020 Draft

The list and its future

Moderator: DALBY

2020 Draft

Postby Streaker on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:05 am

With picks 32, 50 and 53 at our disposal it leaves us in a precarious position at the draft table. Pick 32 could quite easily become pick 40 with all the NGA picks this year. A couple of midfield players who might be around at our picks are:

Sam Berry
181cm/83kg
12/2/02
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Midfielder

Berry put plenty into his under-17s year and came out of it with a reputation as a hard-working, tough, competitive inside midfielder. The Gippsland prospect played 10 games with the Power and averaged 18 disposals and seven tackles. He's a powerful teenager who enjoys fighting for contested disposals.

Nathan O'Driscoll
187cm/76kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

The big-bodied midfielder tested well at the recent WA NAB AFL Draft Combine, finishing second in the 20 metre sprint (2.931 seconds) and 2km time trial (6:23 minutes) and winning the agility test (8.13 seconds). He worked into the season with Perth, finishing the year in the senior side, including a standout game against Subiaco when he picked up 20 disposals.

Caleb Poulter
190cm/76kg
12/10/02
Woodville-West Torrens/South Australia
Midfielder

Poulter started the season in flying form for the Eagles and has continued at a good level, with his penetrating left-foot kicking making him a damaging player in the middle and when he floats forward. The 17-year-old had 20 disposals in the Eagles' semi-final win last week.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Re: 2020 Draft

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:55 pm

Streaker wrote:Nathan O'Driscoll
187cm/76kg
17/5/02
Perth/Western Australia
Midfielder

The big-bodied midfielder tested well at the recent WA NAB AFL Draft Combine, finishing second in the 20 metre sprint (2.931 seconds) and 2km time trial (6:23 minutes) and winning the agility test (8.13 seconds). He worked into the season with Perth, finishing the year in the senior side, including a standout game against Subiaco when he picked up 20 disposals.

Not withstanding that we need to fight the purple squids for any decent WA boys, and That I think we need to do some trades to get back into the meat of the draft,
I did read the write-up on O'Driscoll and he sounds promising. Will possibly fall out of the 1st round and might slip to us.

If not, we could always have a crack at the muppets "next gen" players. Keep the bastards honest.

Its as well to remember that we can trade next year's 2nd rounder and up. Or, we can even still trade next year's 1st rounder, if we get one this year.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Anybody been watching the Dees this season?
Exactly how good is Logan MacDonald?
LOT of hype about this lad, is it justified? I'm always impressed by kids that are already playing seniors, and in his case kicking 21 goals from 8 games. But, the WAFL is littered with forwards who excel at that level, but couldn't cope with a 100kg AFL Full-Back wearing them like a cheap suit.

Some claim that the only thing stopping him going number one is fear he might later want to return home.
Last thing we need is another KPF, but talk is this kid could be another "once in a decade" player.

Talk is that Adelaide will get pick #2 as compo for Crouch, and that anybody wanting McDonald will need that pick.
Unless we got a really good pick for somebody, I can't imagine what we could possibly offer in trade. We'd basically need to do a repeat of last year, and eff ourselves completely in the clacker,
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Anybody been watching the Dees this season?
LOT of hype about this lad, is it justified? I'm always impressed by kids that are already playing seniors, and in his case kicking 21 goals from 8 games. But, the WAFL is littered with forwards who excel at that level, but couldn't cope with a 100kg AFL Full-Back wearing them like a cheap suit.

Some claim that the only thing stopping him going number one is fear he might later want to return home.
Last thing we need is another KPF, but talk is this kid could be another "once in a decade" player.

Talk is that Adelaide will get pick #2 as compo for Crouch, and that anybody wanting McDonald will need that pick.
Unless we got a really good pick for somebody, I can't imagine what we could possibly offer in trade. We'd basically need to do a repeat of last year, and eff ourselves completely in the clacker,

Is not only an elite athlete but has a brain and his leading patterns are those of seasoned forward. Knows when to lead and where to go. Played most of the year against experienced, more mature defenders and beat them. Would love him but unless we trade Naitanui can't see it happening.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Streaker wrote:

Is not only an elite athlete but has a brain and his leading patterns are those of seasoned forward. Knows when to lead and where to go. Played most of the year against experienced, more mature defenders and beat them. Would love him but unless we trade Naitanui can't see it happening.
Damn!
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
Streaker wrote:

Damn!

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/ex-afl ... 881689505z

https://www.afl.com.au/news/499176/-i-l ... contention
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:51 pm

Streaker wrote:
Streaker wrote:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/ex-afl ... 881689505z

https://www.afl.com.au/news/499176/-i-l ... contention

Is it too late to hook him up with some horny schoolgirls?
Or maybe a nightclub scuffle or two?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Streaker wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:We on the other hand need players in the 22 -25 year range that are mids whether that be inside/outside distributors or runners, but we need them now. Pick 30 (our current pick before NGA and F/S) won't get us Clark but it could get us someone better than taking a punt at Pick 40 (our pick after NGA and F/S and compensation picks). I'd even be looking at trading our 2nd next year to have a crack at some of the players who will be available due to the change in List sizes.

We should look at trading next year's first rounder, to try and get into this year's 1st round.
Have a crack at somebody like Hollands, Phillips, Macrae, Powell, or even Cook.
It's not a "great" draft for mids, but then we'd never get a great pick anyway. (Unless we get exceptional value for Brander, and can somehow trade that up.)

I wonder what pick we'd need to get Carroll? And exactly how good is he?
Surely if we could trade into the end of the first round (Maybe Geelong's pick) that would be good enough for Carroll, and if not him, then Trew.

Again, unless we got some exceptional value at the trade table, we're not going to be able to improve our standing, unless we put up next year's 1st round, and that means we have to get into the first round.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:09 pm

So this is PMBangers Phantom draft from Bigfooty. It takes into consideration all the NGA and F/S picks but doesn't have and Compo picks for Couch/Daniher etc. Don't think we can trade next years 1st rounder unless we get a first rounder which means, Richmond if they win the GF, would have the last pick in the draft which blows out to pick 22 without Compensation picks being added. Not sure I'd be willing to give up a 1st round pick in next years uncompromised draft due to NGA changes, for a heavily compromised pick this year. We don't have enough currency this year to trade high enough for a Highly Rated mid. I'm not saying the draft will fall as per the below Phantom but given our penchant for picking run of the mill mids later in the draft I wouldn't be happy taking the chance.

Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Yes, we'd have to give up next year's 1st rounder, and must get into the 1st round this year or we're not allowed.
But ultimately, a pick is worth what it's worth or more to the point what the two clubs agree its worth. If, say, the last pick in teh 1st round is worth less than the last pick in next years first round do to all the academy rorts, then the trade has to be adjusted accordingly.
Keep in mind (although I haven't looked at specifics) that there might be clubs prepared to trade away picks rather than use them to pay for bids.

My concern, especially given the lack of quality mids in the draft, is that we're just going to use our late 2nd & 3rd round picks to recruit another bunch of Ainsworths and Brayshaws.
We have apparently made the choice to go for one last hurrah with JK and Bunga, which means we need to get aggressive about brining in some quality (be it trade, FA, or Draft) NOW.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:23 am

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Wednesday November 6

AFL Trade Period
Wednesday November 4 – Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Friday November 20

Delisted Free Agency Window
tbc – usually between first and second List Lodgements

List Lodgement 2
Friday November 27

National Draft
Week of December 7 (tbc)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Week of December 7, after the national draft (tbc)

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
tbc – usually between the final list lodgement and the end of pre-season
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Streaker wrote:Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Wednesday November 6

AFL Trade Period
Wednesday November 4 – Thursday November 12

I know the AFL is often on another planet, but surely they keep to the same calendar?
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Streaker on Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:36 pm

The Suns currently hold first-round pick 5 as well as second-round selections No.24 and 33. With highly rated pair Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey set to join the club as Academy pre-selections – this means they don't have to match bids on the players – the Suns are considering only taking one live pick to the draft. The Suns are looking at bundling picks 5 and 24 to get a pick higher in the draft which means they wont be using pick 33. We should be looking at trading for this pick. Maybe send AhChee to peel the oranges for Gold Coast.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Crazy Dazz on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Streaker wrote:The Suns currently hold first-round pick 5 as well as second-round selections No.24 and 33. With highly rated pair Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey set to join the club as Academy pre-selections – this means they don't have to match bids on the players
Wouldn't it be simpler if the AFL just GAVE them a Premiership Trophy?

Have to make sure it was delivered though, as otherwise Gold Coast would lose it on the way home, or trade it for a packet of ciggies.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:45 am

Paywalled but, these ones caught my interest. There are others but they are all forwards, something we don't need at the moment:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast ... 881727922z

Tyler Brockman
Club: Subiaco/WA
Height: 180cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Forward/midfielder
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/tyler-brockman/

The Eagles will have their fingers crossed that Tyler Brockman is still available at pick 62. The explosive forward-midfielder, who has a bit of Christian Petracca about him, doesn’t need much of the footy to have an impact.

Isiah Winder
Club: Peel Thunder/WA
Height: 180cm
Weight: 77kg
Position: Midfielder / forward
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/07 ... australia/

The Eaton Boomers product from Bunbury in the South West has gone from strength to strength this season, climbing draft calculations. Winder was named in the WAFL colts team of the year from five impactful appearances, averaging 28 possessions, 6.5 marks, five tackles and three insides 50s playing mainly in the engine room. The 18-year-old also played three league games in a variety of positions including forward and half-back, and didn’t look out of place. His pace and elite disposal catching the eye.

He impressed at the national draft combine, finishing in the top five in each of the six categories including first in the vertical jump (76cm), left-foot vertical jump (92cm) and 20m sprint (2.873 seconds). He will most likely to start across half-forward in the AFL while building his tank, with a midfield role beckoning a couple of years down the track.

Malachy Carruthers
Club: Sturt/South Australia
Height: 183cm
Weight: 69kg
Position: Defender
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/ ... arruthers/
Carruthers is a draft bolter out of South Australia who saved his best for Sturt’s under-18s finals campaign.

The running defender has been likened to Liam Duggan and would come in handy for depth after the departure of Lewis Jetta.

He reads the play like a book, is a classy ball user and tested well at the South Australian combine.

West Coast have shown a bit of interest in Carruthers.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Next

Return to Drafts and Trading