Game Focus

2020 Fixtures

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: 2020 Fixtures

Postby Pinion King on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:02 pm

QLD's new rules:

— Any Queensland team that plays against a Melbourne team in Queensland is required to quarantine after the match for 14 days

— Any Queensland team that plays in Melbourne is required to quarantine for 14 days on returning to Queensland

— Any Queensland team that plays in another state against a team who has been in Melbourne in the preceding 14 days is required to quarantine on their return to Queensland
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby CouchPotato on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:32 pm

If it didn't already, season feels like a joke now.

Once a Melb club person / player gets it, we're going into another shut down. No way would they force the poor Vic teams into a WA, SA or QLD hub
CouchPotato
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:44 am

SA has now wacked a 14 day quarantine on Victorian clubs, or anyone who has played a Victorian club entering the state.

Looks like if the AFL want's to continue they need to move all Vic clubs out of Vic.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Pinion King wrote:Looks like if the AFL want's to continue they need to move all Vic clubs out of Vic.
Which they should have done to begin with. #foresight
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby HH on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Reap what you sow grubby VFL*.

* This is what an asterisk looks like.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Mr Q wrote:
Fat Side wrote:The switch is on. We have gone from a Thursday night clash with Richmond to a Saturday afternoon clash with Sydney.

After all the criticism of the Eagles in the hub, today Trent Cotchin comes out and says a bunch of Richmond players don't want to go if they have to go to a hub....

The reality is that for the time being, if games are in Victoria, those teams won't be able to play anywhere else any time soon (except maybe in Sydney). This outbreak being in Victoria has royally screwed the AFL's plans to not make Victorian clubs do any of the heavy lifting.

The AFL *should* be taking the opportunity to send games elsewhere. If Tassie is in a position to allow crowds at games soon, send half a dozen Vic teams down there to a hub to play for five weeks, and give the Apple Isle a chance to see a lot of live footy for once (I'm sure they can find at least three or four suitable grounds). Hubs in Adelaide and Perth. All games for now out of Melbourne - because that's just what has to happen if the AFL is to actually pay more than lip service to being responsible in a Covid world. Maybe make up for all that travel for all those years?

If they don't get it under control with their local lockdowns, it's got to be possible that Victoria might be back in hard shutdown in a week, in which case the AFL will be jarred shut again for quite a while.

Unfortunately Q, you are as usual only looking at things from your own (logical & balanced) point of view.

It's hard for most of us, but one really needs their head quite a fair distance up their own arse, to appreciate the way the VaFL looks at the world.
Once you have achieved this feat, the solution becomes clear.

Since very soon no other state will allow teams to come from Victoria without mandatory hard quarantine, the obvious solution is to move ALL teams to Melbourne, permanently.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Mykidsdad on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 pm

So will we be playing away games against Vic teams at home? Or will we get 7(?) home games in a row and get some value out of our memberships?

I am hoping the form line reverses when we get back to Perth, but reflect on the end of last season and think there is a bigger issue than the QLD hub.

Maybe this is a cunning plan from McGowan, Nesbitt and Simmo to lull the Vics into false sense of security, get the GF at Optus and then turn our form around and win every game once the GF is here and storm home for an improbable premiership
Damn its good to be the reigning premiers
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:23 am

This season is farkked.
In fact it was farkked literally before it even began, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I'm actually not too worried about what the VaFL might or might not do, because it can't be worse than the abomination they have already delivered.

I'll be perfectly honest, I had already started to lose interest in the AFL. Not the Eagles, but the league itself.
I like watching the Eagles, especially when they play well, and I like to see them win. When the Eagles are in contention, I pay close attention to the overall league, but otherwise I tend to switch off.
Watching the AFL gift premierships to MCG tenants is so pathetic its actually sad.

Point is, the average season is bad enough, with their BS fixturing and teams like Richmond playing 10 consecutive games at the G.
At best, if they somehow manage to scrape a season out of this, its going to be a complete bastard and horribly unfair, so I'm really not holding my breath over the result.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:37 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:This season is farkked.
In fact it was farkked literally before it even began, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I'm actually not too worried about what the VaFL might or might not do, because it can't be worse than the abomination they have already delivered.

I'll be perfectly honest, I had already started to lose interest in the AFL. Not the Eagles, but the league itself.
I like watching the Eagles, especially when they play well, and I like to see them win. When the Eagles are in contention, I pay close attention to the overall league, but otherwise I tend to switch off.
Watching the AFL gift premierships to MCG tenants is so pathetic its actually sad.

Point is, the average season is bad enough, with their BS fixturing and teams like Richmond playing 10 consecutive games at the G.
At best, if they somehow manage to scrape a season out of this, its going to be a complete bastard and horribly unfair, so I'm really not holding my breath over the result.

Just relax and enjoy it while it's here.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:12 pm

Victoria have just announced 70+ new cases overnight. they have lost control of community transmission, and are placing entire suburbs into lockdown.
Sorry, but its time to shut down the AFL too.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:Victoria have just announced 70+ new cases overnight. they have lost control of community transmission, and are placing entire suburbs into lockdown.

No it's not. That's ludicrous.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:Victoria have just announced 70+ new cases overnight. they have lost control of community transmission, and are placing entire suburbs into lockdown.

Maybe. But the more this goes on, the more “agile and flexible” fixturing occurs, the more players commit COVID protocol breaches and the more policy gets done on the run at the almighty VFL’s infinite wisdom and discretion, the more I see an ASTERISK.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:23 pm

HH wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

Maybe. But the more this goes on, the more “agile and flexible” fixturing occurs, the more players commit COVID protocol breaches and the more policy gets done on the run at the almighty VFL’s infinite wisdom and discretion, the more I see an ASTERISK.

Asterisk for what? So far the AFL have been adaptable. Calling off the season is plain silly at the moment. It's a different season, but it's keeping thousands in a job and, so far, breaches have been swiftly dealt with. I've said this before, but if the NBA and the EPL can play than surely this season can be played out.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:40 pm

Fat Side wrote:
Asterisk for what? So far the AFL have been adaptable. Calling off the season is plain silly at the moment. It's a different season, but it's keeping thousands in a job and, so far, breaches have been swiftly dealt with. I've said this before, but if the NBA and the EPL can play than surely this season can be played out.

For not having clear rules about suspension or forfeiture of games due to COVID, for further fixing an already fixed fixture under the guise of “flexible and agile” fixturing and for making policy on the run.

All of these go to the integrity (or lack thereof) of the competition in these circumstances. Asterisk.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Fat Side on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:23 am

HH wrote:
Fat Side wrote:

For not having clear rules about suspension or forfeiture of games due to COVID, for further fixing an already fixed fixture under the guise of “flexible and agile” fixturing and for making policy on the run.

All of these go to the integrity (or lack thereof) of the competition in these circumstances. Asterisk.

Hmm. So where does the asterisk go? The fixture is compromised anyway particularly in favour of big Victorian clubs and in the interests of equality. Things are changing all the time and the AFL is doing its best to change with it. Who knows what will happen next week or next month.

Players from Melbourne based clubs who reside in the now locked down postcodes, were given less than twelve hours to get out of their homes and find alternate accommodation. This has affected every club. Everyone is impacted by the CV, but all doing the best they can.

Other than our current form, I am just going with it and enjoying footy being back. As you alluded, it could all change in the blink of an eye.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles