Game Focus

WCE v Geelong, Optus Stadium Sat 1/8/20 @ 6.10pm

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: WCE v Geelong, Optus Stadium Sat 1/8/20 @ 6.10pm

Postby HH on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 pm

Great desperation from both teams.

Just got to absorb this pressure from Geelong and take it to our F50.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby HH on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:32 pm

JK you star. Amazing.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby drsoop on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:33 pm

What a time to clunk one Kennedy!!
drsoop
Regular

Postby Pinion King on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:36 pm

Woohoo!!

Great game. Our second half was brilliant!
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Pitty for Edwards. He looked good early and got himself involved.

Hope he gets another game.
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby HH on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 pm

That was a great fightback win. Nic Nat is a beast. Tim Kelly showing his value. JK keeps turning back the clock.
HH
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Pinion King on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 pm

Loved Chris Scott's comment RE Nic Nat after the game.

The problem with kicking a goal against the Eagles is the ball goes back to the centre.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby penrith eagle on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:06 pm

Pinion King wrote:Where is Penrith? Eagles need a fire up.

Went to the game just got back

Hard game worried in the first half Knew the cats would tire

Good game by our experienced players our youngsters struggled Ainsworth just cannot kick

Hope Edwards is okay
Time to start the rebuild !!!!!!!!!!

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:01 am

The problem with flogging Collingwood is that it made everyone look good. Tonight was a much better test.
Considering all the things that went wrong for us, it was a great come from behind win. But should still serve as a wake-up call on some issues. If Geelong hadn't tired after a 5-day break, or if it hadn't been played at Optus, or if conditions hadn't favoured us, etc....
1) Geelong's ability to simply chip-pass their way out of our forward half, whilst stopping us doing the same thing at the other end, should have the alarm bells ringing. We've got to get our zone working and start applying some pressure in the forward half.

2) A Healthy & Firing JK is critical to our success. I hope there will be games that allow him to either be rested, or at least see the bench a bit more.

3) A Healthy NicNat is critical to our success. I know it doesn't really play into what we need to do, but I'm hoping we have a solid plan B. I'd actually like to see us protect him just a little more. Although it was a so-called makeshift ruck duo from Geelong, NicNat did more of the work than usual.

4) Clearly we need a better contingency plan for when we lose a Key Defender. Waterman aint it.

5) Doesn't matter what you call em, "mids who play forward" or "forwards who rotate through the middle" or "mid-forwards" we've got too many guys who are good at being forwards but not up for their midfield duties. And the two guys that are, Cripps and Ryan, are far too valuable as forwards and need to stay there. I don't know what the solution is. Ainsworth is apparently the best of the next crop, and he's struggling.

6) I couldn't tell if maybe Nelson had a lock-down job on a particular forward, but I didn't really see much of him.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby penrith eagle on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:4) Clearly we need a better contingency plan for when we lose a Key Defender. Waterman aint it.

I disagree Dazz due to the circumstances I thought Waterman went well when edwards went down....The last few games we have been using waterman as a defender at times and I thought he was servicable tonight.....I watched him do a lot of running off the ball when I was at the game......good to have another utility like his dad for Simmo to call upon.

Positives for Me
High class game from two very skilled sides
Nicnat to JK the highlight for me in the last quarter
Nicnats rucking
JK's last quarter
Sheeds first half keeping us in the game...his goals where important
Mids Kelly Shuey Yeo good
Duggan another good game off half back

Negatives
Ainsworth Ainsworth Ainsworth....sorry guys but he might be a good bloke at the club but at this stage he is not AFL material.....every contest he went to he either got pushed off the ball or he stuffed up his disposal. He is too small for his role he needs muscle and he gets pushed off too easily. For a 21 year old what have they been doing!! needs to go back to the gym he looks like a first year rookie running around. Also his kicking is terrible....this stab kick style he has is crap no future......too many floating hospital kicks from him

Gaff was quiet in the first half ....servicable game from him but we needed him in that first half
O Allen I thought was quiet compared to his recent games

Ray chamberlain....is just a dropkick..terrible umpire

Overall a good quality high class game from both sides
Time to start the rebuild !!!!!!!!!!

eagles forever
penrith eagle
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mykidsdad on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:34 am

I felt we should have won by more. Cats kicked very straight and we stuffed a few gimme's. Umps cost us a couple.
Damn its good to be the reigning premiers
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:10 pm

penrith eagle wrote:
Crazy Dazz wrote:4) Clearly we need a better contingency plan for when we lose a Key Defender. Waterman aint it.
I disagree Dazz due to the circumstances I thought Waterman went well when edwards went down....The last few games we have been using waterman as a defender at times

Nah, he's like a fish out of water, literally the worst option to send back.
This is the problem with our whole selection strategy: We select far too many "forwards", they of course have to play elsewhere, they underperform, and we make excuses and say "he did quite well for a forward."
In his case, he's a very average player, but makes a good forward because he's good at a few things. But he shows every game that his decision making under pressure is terrible. He's young, that will probably improve, but play him as a forward, that's it.
penrith eagle wrote:Ainsworth Ainsworth Ainsworth....sorry guys but he might be a good bloke at the club but at this stage he is not AFL material.....every contest he went to he either got pushed off the ball or he stuffed up his disposal. He is too small for his role he needs muscle and he gets pushed off too easily. For a 21 year old what have they been doing!! needs to go back to the gym he looks like a first year rookie running around. Also his kicking is terrible....this stab kick style he has is crap no future......too many floating hospital kicks from him
It's a worry
We're already short a mid or two (or mid-forwards, or whatever) and whilst I don't mind getting games into the kid, if he's the best option from the "next batch" then we're in trouble.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby MrWoollie on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm

I hope Edwards is OK and gets another crack at it. For a first gamer his limited time on ground was encouraging.

After playing really well for a few weeks, Nelson had a shocker. 2 kicks with 4 metres gained and not really ever in the contest.

I've been supportive of Ainsworth as a mid possibility (not as a forward) but yesterday he really tried that patience. Not sure where XON and Reid are at, but both were emergencies so imagine they aren't far off. Maybe time.

I keep expecting Cameron to have a big game. He just looks like it is about to happen. Hope it's soon. I think he is keeping his spot due shortage of options at the moment.

Do we persist with Ah Chee? Another 1 kick game. For someone who is supposedly a 'big-bodied' type he seems to lack it in the contest. Is his balance poor? Smaller, weaker guys seem to be able to knock him off his line or out position him easily.

Considering Edwards (inj), Ah Chee, Nelson, Ainsworth and Cameron were unsighted, and OAllen and Gaff (averaging 25 disposals in 2020, 14 this game) were very quiet by their usual standards, we were a bit lucky to get away with that one.

We all owe Nin Nat and JK a huge thank you.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:34 pm

MrWoollie wrote:I hope Edwards is OK and gets another crack at it. For a first gamer his limited time on ground was encouraging.
After playing really well for a few weeks, Nelson had a shocker. 2 kicks with 4 metres gained and not really ever in the contest.
I've been supportive of Ainsworth as a mid possibility (not as a forward) but yesterday he really tried that patience. Not sure where XON and Reid are at, but both were emergencies so imagine they aren't far off. Maybe time.
I keep expecting Cameron to have a big game. He just looks like it is about to happen. Hope it's soon. I think he is keeping his spot due shortage of options at the moment.
Do we persist with Ah Chee? Another 1 kick game. For someone who is supposedly a 'big-bodied' type he seems to lack it in the contest. Is his balance poor? Smaller, weaker guys seem to be able to knock him off his line or out position him easily.
Considering Edwards (inj), Ah Chee, Nelson, Ainsworth and Cameron were unsighted, and OAllen and Gaff (averaging 25 disposals in 2020, 14 this game) were very quiet by their usual standards, we were a bit lucky to get away with that one.
We all owe Nin Nat and JK a huge thank you.
Agree with all of that, well said.
It's hard to tell when watching the tv, but I wondered if maybe Nelson was playing a lock-down role on somebody, cos yeah, after several good games, didn't see much of him.
Similarly, was Gaff being tagged, and/or taking somebody out of the picture. I've seen him play a few games, where he sacrifices his own game to pull an opponent out of the centre.
The problem, IMHO, with Ah Chee and Cameron, is that they are asked too much to play up the ground. Ah Chee has shown he can take a mark and goal, and maybe there's a role for him as a small marking forward. A bit of a Lecca type. Problem is that most of the time we have too many marking targets and they end up being used down the ground. Cameron I don't know what he might be able to develop into, but for now he needs to be used as a crumber. Offensively his decision making is still not up to AFL level, and defensively he lacks the strength and power to really put a stop on somebody.
I don't mind getting games into Ainsworth, my concern is that if he's the best of the next bunch, then the cupboard is pretty bare.
Edwards I liked what I saw in the WAFL last year. He has the potential to be a very versatile defender.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Clarke Markx Goalz on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:27 am

It's hard to know what some of these players are doing off the ball. Sometimes I am glad that people on this board are not selectors. I've heard it said that some line coaches watch more off the ball than on it. Blockin, running and spacing are very important. Geelong played man on man to stop us moving through with our kicking game. This forced a change at half time to a pressure play were we forced multiple stoppages by defending the corridor and forcing them wide. this means that Gaff and the taller players don't get as many disposals. I could see Cameron a few times was pressuring the ball carrier and that was the role in this game. I think you'd have to look at pressure acts to get a real gauge on the players influence.

I think we could use Jetts back in the team. Hurn seemed to be getting a bit back into form and Mcgovern back is going to be better than Waterman, who I thought was servicable playing his role. I don't think Rotham could play the Mcgovern role as well. Really Barass is the only real backman charged with stopping a full forward. Schofield and Rotham play a similar role. Sheppard, Cole and Duggan are great defenders. No one beats Sheppard. On that, did the Geelong player push Henry into him?
2011 Official Sponsor of the Father-son and the Jacob Brennan.
2011 EFH Dreamteam minor premier.
2012 Sponsor of Josh 'the man, the Hero' Kennedy.
Clarke Markx Goalz
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles