11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

2020 Season

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: 2020 Season Over??? - Or IS It??

Postby WC Aquila on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:28 pm

MrWoollie wrote:2020 Season Over - unfortunately it is for Elliot Yeo. Not a surprise, but still a huge loss.

We did not have T Kelly in 2018 so as a direct swap we still have a GF winning midfield. The hamstring injuries is going to kill us.
WC Aquila
Regular

Postby MrWoollie on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Crazy Dazz wrote:
jourgo wrote:We've got 4 guys in the AA squad:

Gaff
Natanui
Ryan
Sheppard

List is total bullshit as usual.
How the heck does Spuderner make it?
Shepp should have been in it for years

And Gov doesn't even make the squad?

I wouldn't have chosen Gov based on form this year. But then again Shep would be getting his 4th AA if I was choosing the team.

As usual the list is stacked with mids. 20 of 40 if you include the rucks and ruck/fwd.
This suggests they will go down the route they have done previously, I.e. select only one ruck (with possibly Blicavs as the pseudo second ruck) and put a bunch of mids out of position. Can name Bont/Fyfe/Dusty/Danger as forwards to allow Neale/Adams/Steele/Boak/Daniel/Macrae as the mids.

So, for our 4 guys.

Gaff - suspect won't make it.
Shep - a shoe in if he wore black and white or black and yellow etc. I'm optimistic when I compare him to the others and should make it, but based on history I'm less optimistic than I should be.
NN - I can see only one of Gawn or Naitanui making it so a 50/50 chance at best. Should be it but apparently some selectors wanted Goldstein and Gawn, so NN has his lovers and haters, making Gawn the 'safe' choice.
Ryan - his body of work at the end of the season made him the best small forward over this time. But is it enough? I can see only one of Liam Ryan, Papley and Butler getting in to load up on mids.

I suspect we'll get one, maybe two.

Off the top of my head (i.e. not exhaustive research and may contain errors).

Mids -
Jack Macrae, Bont, Dusty, Caleb Daniel, Andrew Gaff, Steele, Boak, Petracca, Oliver, Menegola, Guthrie, Danger, Blicavs (/fwd/ruck), Fyfe, Pendles, Adams, Neale.

Small Forwards -
Liam Ryan, Papley, Butler, Butters (/mid).

Edit - I notice the afl.com.au selectors agree with my methodology. They did manage to fit all three small forwards in but still selected Danger and Dusty as forwards to stack up the mids.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Peter_Melesso_Fanclub on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:37 pm

I'll be happy if we get more than just NicNat in the final side.
I think Ryan would be deserving, but most "experts" seem to only be noticing him late in the season so I think chances are he will miss out.
I don't like Shep's chances either. Great season, but I thought his 2019 was even better and somehow he missed out (I guess due to Gov & Hurn making it, and not wanting too many Eagles in the one area). Maybe they give him a spot this year as redemption? He's the opposite of a flashy player though so I'd say most non-Eagles people don't see & appreciate just how effective he is and how rarely he gets beaten.
Gaff ... ehh... he's always solid so he's in with a shot. I'm happy he made the squad.
Peter_Melesso_Fanclub
Veteran

Postby MrWoollie on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:34 pm

MrWoollie wrote:
As usual the list is stacked with mids. 20 of 40 if you include the rucks and ruck/fwd.
This suggests they will go down the route they have done previously, I.e. select only one ruck and put a bunch of mids out of position. Can name Bont/Fyfe/Dusty/Danger as forwards to allow Neale/Adams/Steele/Boak/Daniel/Macrae as the mids.

Damn I was close. Only got Fyfe wrong of the 'stack the fwd line with mids' list. And am very surprised the one starting genuine small was Liam Ryan. Congratulations.
2017 sponsor of #6 - Elliot Yeo. 2017 B&F, 2017 EFH POTY.
MrWoollie
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:04 pm

Our season was over the moment the VFL announced we couldn't have a Home PF even if we earned it.
Obviously we never got close anyway, so we'll never know what might have been.
I'm just pissed that we've given the fucking [Greg Williams] an ever better draft pick, and that the 3rd rounder they give us will be in the middle of bumfuck nowhere
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby Fat Side on Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:39 am

Crazy Dazz wrote:Our season was over the moment the VFL announced we couldn't have a Home PF even if we earned it.
Obviously we never got close anyway, so we'll never know what might have been.
I'm just pissed that we've given the fucking [Greg Williams] an ever better draft pick, and that the 3rd rounder they give us will be in the middle of bumfuck nowhere

If McGowan had been less focused on getting re-elected we could have hosted more games or even a hub. Queensland embraced the AFL, we didn't and we lost opportunities as a result.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Mykidsdad on Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Qld and SA both didn't have a second wave due to it either.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby DALBY on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:10 pm

We lost it as soon as we lost to the Bulldogs. Feel for Gaff, Shep and NicNat, they tried hard all year. Pity most of their team mates did not have the same mind set. :(
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby MelbourneBased on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:20 pm

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news ... -from-2020

A couple of interesting stats that some up our season

CENTRE CLEARANCES Nic Naitanui – 44,................. Dom Sheed – 30,. Luke Shuey – 30,Tim Kelly – 27,Elliot Yeo – 24
TACKLES Oscar Allen – 41, Nic Naitanui – 40, , Jack Darling – 35, Brad Sheppard - 34........Dom Sheed – 39
MelbourneBased
Regular

Re: 2020 Season

Postby Crazy Dazz on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Well it really is season over.
VFL have got their wish, another all-Prictorian Grand Final.

End of the day, I think that their ridiculous season of home games gave both Port and Brissy a boost, but at the pointy end of the season the better finals teams won through.

All I can hope for now is that the GF is a draw, and they all contract Covid so can't have a replay.
Crazy Dazz
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Does anyone know why Jetta was on the outer? He must have done something very very stupid.
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fat Side on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:45 pm

DALBY wrote:Does anyone know why Jetta was on the outer? He must have done something very very stupid.

I couldn't believe he did anything stupid. I guess he was pushed out by younger players coming through. With Hurn at 33 and Shepp 29, we needed to develop youth and Jetts was the one left out. Somebody needed to make way for Witherden too.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby DALBY on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:52 am

Fat Side wrote:
DALBY wrote:Does anyone know why Jetta was on the outer? He must have done something very very stupid.

I couldn't believe he did anything stupid. I guess he was pushed out by younger players coming through. With Hurn at 33 and Shepp 29, we needed to develop youth and Jetts was the one left out. Somebody needed to make way for Witherden too.

I have hear that when he got dropped after the Gold Coast game, he went absolutely nuclear at the coaching staff etc. He was on his last warning for other unprofessional things too as well like late to training. Silly boy. :(
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Fair Bump Play On on Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Ah that explains a bit, not the example they would want set at the club. And he should have been dropped for that Gold Coast game, he also should have responded by working he way back into the team through hard work. Still, it was an unusual and taxing year in many ways so who knows what was also going on in the background especially for those separated from young families. Will always be a premiership hero and legend of the club. Plus a very rare multi club premiership player.
Proud 2017 sponsor of Liam -Dangerfield- Duggan, Will Schofield, Simon - the tank - Tunbridge & Tom Gorter
Past sponsor; 2016 self appointed sponsor of Sam it's better with Butler, 2015 of Jamie lace out Bennell, Scooter - future vice-captain - Selwood. 2013 of Mitch - Mr Required - Brown, (And he stayed), 2012 of Scott - the future - Lycett, (And he is), 2011 of Vice Captain – fair, but get out of his way - Beau Waters, (His greatest year)
Fair Bump Play On
EFH Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to West Coast Eagles