11.13 (79) 11.8 (74)
Game Focus

Rioli Suspended

Discussion of all things Eagles
(the "EaglesFlyingHigh" board)

Moderators: Mead, Streaker, Mr Q

Re: Rioli Suspended

Postby jourgo on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Mykidsdad wrote:"Australian sport’s anti-doping agency is distancing itself from the delay in a verdict in the drugs case of AFL player Willie Rioli.

Sport Integrity Australia, formerly known as ASADA, says it has no powers to announce the outcome of Rioli’s case or sanction the West Coast player."

So ASADA is now saying it is the AFL that is dragging its feet. What a shit show.

Well I'm shocked. Anyone else?

I mean c'mon - the AFL AND a government agency? This is nothing short of BEWILDERING!
jourgo
EFH Legend

Postby Pinion King on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:50 pm

I'm just confused now.

So if the AFL come out and say 18 months suspension (so only 2 and a bit left) ASADA can't challenge that since they can't sanction the player?
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby lazzas on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:09 pm

Pinion King wrote:I'm just confused now.

So if the AFL come out and say 18 months suspension (so only 2 and a bit left) ASADA can't challenge that since they can't sanction the player?

They cant impose the sanction however are able to appeal it if they thing the penalty is too light if things haven't changend since the bombers saga.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ess ... 3pv4y.html

"Former Australian anti-doping chief Richard Ings says ASADA would appeal "in a heartbeat" should Essendon players be found guilty of taking a banned substance and not receive an appropriate punishment"

And with Shana Jack .

"Jack was initially banned for four years after testing positive to Ligandrol on June 26 last year, almost three weeks before the world swim titles in South Korea.
The 22-year-old Queenslander appealed her ban to CAS which early last month reduced her suspension to two years, finding Jack did not knowingly ingest the substance."

"Swimmer Shayna Jack’s two-year doping ban is being appealed by Sport Integrity Australia (SIA)."

https://7news.com.au/sport/swimming/swi ... -c-1723379
lazzas
Regular

Postby Roadkill on Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:53 pm

Seems SIA is trying to deflect all the attention to the AFL and Willie defence team as the reason for delays. Considering their track record across all sports, i call bullshit.
Bit hard to say anything if they are the morale police and everyone is trying to work out what is going on in there tiny little heads. This rule of standing out till all legals avenues is exhausted is the key. AFL should hand down suspension in a short period, if SIA dont like it, they can take it to court andtake all the time they want.

Time for the AFL , AFL players association to step up and cut ties with this bunch of muppets. Stuff what funding from government is tied to SIA code. AFL industry is bigger than any bunch of gov bureaucrats.
Roadkill
Rookie

Postby Fat Side on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Roadkill wrote:Seems SIA is trying to deflect all the attention to the AFL and Willie defence team as the reason for delays. Considering their track record across all sports, i call bullshit.
Bit hard to say anything if they are the morale police and everyone is trying to work out what is going on in there tiny little heads. This rule of standing out till all legals avenues is exhausted is the key. AFL should hand down suspension in a short period, if SIA dont like it, they can take it to court andtake all the time they want.

Time for the AFL , AFL players association to step up and cut ties with this bunch of muppets. Stuff what funding from government is tied to SIA code. AFL industry is bigger than any bunch of gov bureaucrats.

I think that SIA are done with the Rioli issue. He fronted the AFL (anti-doping) Tribunal in mid December. We are now waiting on a verdict and possible sanction from the Tribunal. SIA or WADA will only step in again if they believe the AFL's penalty (should there be one) is manifestly inadequate.

The AFL are no doubt considering all of the circumstances of the case and liaising with WADA to arrive at an acceptable penalty. No doubt legal advice has been sought. The AFL need to consider any special circumstances such as the specifics of the alleged breach, time elapsed since the alleged incident, the fact that Rioli is a young man and indigenous, the degree of personal and general deterrence. You would have to think that what Rioli has had to endure through this drawn out process that personal deterrence is no longer required. Consideration has to be given to ensuring that the penalty deters others from doing the same. All this, of course is predicated on him being convicted. To date we don't know that he has.
Make the switch now
Fat Side
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby WCE06 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:32 am

All this for a few tugs of a bong. Penalty already outstrips the crime for what should never be administered under "performance enhancing". Government bureaucracy gone mad.
However strong or fast or skilled a knight is there are others who can match him. A man will win one tournament and fall quickly in the next. A slick spot on the grass may mean defeat, or what you had for supper the last night. A change in the wind may mean victory.
George R. R. Martin.
WCE06
EFH Hall of Fame

Postby Roadkill on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:18 pm

Quote from Nisbert.
"Hopefully over the next two weeks at a maximum we’ll have a final outcome where we can tell everyone what it is and we can get Willie back on some sort of course back to football but also his meaningful life.”

Sounds like they know penalty and is a way back to footy, wonder when?
Roadkill
Rookie

Postby moogadah on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:06 am

Roadkill wrote:Quote from Nisbert.
"Hopefully over the next two weeks at a maximum we’ll have a final outcome where we can tell everyone what it is and we can get Willie back on some sort of course back to football but also his meaningful life.”

West Coast Eagles forward Willie Rioli to learn ASADA fate in next 48 hours: reports

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/west-coast-eagles-forward-willie-rioli-to-learn-asada-fate-in-next-48-hours-reports-ng-b881812172z

Kim Hagdorn: "...“He faces a four-year ban, my understanding is that the messages and the anticipation from close connections with Rioli is that he’ll be back playing this year."

If an appeal is required (i.e. Hagdorn God forbid has bad information), does the appeal get lodged with ASADA or the AFL?
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you."
So I didn't.
moogadah
Veteran

Postby Streaker on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 am

moogadah wrote:
Roadkill wrote:Quote from Nisbert.

West Coast Eagles forward Willie Rioli to learn ASADA fate in next 48 hours: reports

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-coast-eagles/west-coast-eagles-forward-willie-rioli-to-learn-asada-fate-in-next-48-hours-reports-ng-b881812172z

Kim Hagdorn: "...“He faces a four-year ban, my understanding is that the messages and the anticipation from close connections with Rioli is that he’ll be back playing this year."

If an appeal is required (i.e. Hagdorn God forbid has bad information), does the appeal get lodged with ASADA or the AFL?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/west- ... 7d56d1c02f

According to reports, the AFL will on Thursday confirm Rioli has been handed a two-year ban, back-dated to the time he accepted a provisional suspension in 2019.

He had been facing a potential four-year ban. But the surprise verdict announced this week reveals Rioli could return to play for the Eagles as early as August.

He remains contracted with West Coast through to the end of the 2022 AFL season and will reportedly be cleared to train with the club for several months prior to the date when he will become available for selection again towards the end of the 2021 season.
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Mykidsdad on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:58 am

Finally!!! Be fantastic to have him back this year.
Mykidsdad
Veteran

Postby Pinion King on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:37 am

ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

I wonder if there was a little, maybe we should knock a little off for fucking up the process.

The return date will be announced later today. Would it be from 20th Aug which was the offence or 5th Sept the day we played Geelong?
The only team we are destined to be is the team we decide to be. - West Coast Eagles, 2018 Premiers
Pinion King
EFH Legend

Postby The Magenius on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Pinion King wrote:ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

I wonder if there was a little, maybe we should knock a little off for fucking up the process.

The return date will be announced later today. Would it be from 20th Aug which was the offence or 5th Sept the day we played Geelong?

The offences were dealt with and to be served concurrently, so would be from the date of the first offence you would imagine. The second offence was effectively an additional charge to the first but the punishment was to be served concurrently.
The Magenius
EFH Legend

Postby DALBY on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm

Can't wait until August now. :D
Do or do not!
There is no try.
DALBY
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Streaker on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Can train from June 20, play from August 20

21st August against Brisbane Lions
Streaker
EFH Posting Lunatic

Postby Pinion King on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:08 pm

Streaker wrote:Can train from June 20, play from August 20

21st August against Brisbane Lions

Pitty it's not a home game, the roar would be quite impressive.
Pinion King
EFH Legend

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Eagles